The MLP Classical Guitar Thread - Covering all finger style from 1500 - to now!

Discussion in 'Guitar Lessons' started by Cpt Matt Sparrow, Jan 20, 2014.

1. Cpt Matt Sparrow

Cpt Matt Sparrow Senior Member

Steve, as I know you admire him a lot...

I heard from a very reliable source recently, that Leo Brouwer's method of composing his guitar music in particular, is to drink lots of beer, record himself improvising etc, then in the morning he transcribes various bits, adding bits that work better etc!!

I was quite taken aback by this, but ultimately inspired, as there are so many ways to compose. This is quite an unconventional way, but it works so great! :)

Matt

1 person likes this.
  2. paradice

paradice Senior Member

[​IMG]

what fingering would you use for this
    it's Scott Tennants arrangement of The Frog Galliard - it's in E and the G string tuned down to F#
    having a problem with the 2nd last bar in the middle of the pic
    I'm assuming the fingerings shown there for the B and D# are a mistake?
    makes sense to use the fingerings shown in the last bar for the B chord - like a D shape moved up a string but it's a bit tricky!
    also in his video of him playing it it doesn't look like he's doing the D shape thing

3. Cpt Matt Sparrow

I think I see the error, if you instead use a finger 3 on the D Sharp quaver, instead of 2, like is written, it all works out fine - and then finger 4, by the time it is needed, it has done it's responsibilities holding the previous note long enough.

Does that make sense? If not I can post a quick

Cheers

Matt

2 people like this.
  4. paradice

paradice Senior Member

yeah that makes sense man
    that's what I've been doing but my fingers don't wanna go in to that position, even harder to get a clean sound
    the fingering mistake made me think I might be missing something but looks like I just need practice!
    sound.

1 person likes this.
  5. Smedley Smorganoff

Smedley Smorganoff Senior Member

I just got a Manuel Rodriguez Model C that's very nice. The treble is very sweet and round sounding while the bass and mids are generous. They retail here in the states for $800 but it may cost less over by you since you're closer to Spain. I sold my only dreadnought to get the classical. Plus, my dobro and triolian resonator can pretty much do everything the dreadnought can.

I've had good experiences with Manuel Rodriguez and Cordoba (especially the C9 and C10). For anything $500 and below, Yamaha is hard to beat though.

3 people like this.
  6. Cpt Matt Sparrow

Hi Smedley!

Welcome!! - I love Yamaha stuff. Both my pianos (acoustic and electric) are Yamaha's and I've always had my eye on that AEX 1500 (if that's the right model?)
    It was the one Martin Taylor played.

Cheers

Matt

2 people like this.
  7. Smedley Smorganoff

Thanks Matt.

I've come across the AEX 1500 a bunch of times. If you want, I could keep my eye out for you? I don't play full hollowbodies but I gotta say, the Washburn Wes Montgomery model is one I wouldn't mind having. Fusion Blues, a short-lived company that made amazing copies of all the Gibson/Epiphone semi and full hollowbody, makes GREAT jazz boxes. I've got 2 of their 335 copies and I'm never letting them go.

I agree with you about Yamaha. My dad's CG100MA is still going strong, he's had it since 1992. That guitar is actually the very first guitar I learned to play on. My main love is electric guitar, but I've come full circle back to nylons. I love playing romantic pieces by French/Japanese/Spanish composers.

1 person likes this.
  8. SteveGangi

SteveGangi V.I.P. Member

That's actually pretty funny, as the public perception of the classical guy is usally deadly serious and stodgy. Could you just imagine Bream and Segovia getting roaring drunk and tearing up a bar? :laugh2:

9. Cpt Matt Sparrow

I don't know about Segovia, but I know Bream likes a drink. A late friend of my mums studied at The Royal College while he was there and said he drank heavily even then. Also he's an East End boy and can spin a great yarn, so him I can imagine would be great fun!

Hmm the stodgy classical musician / I think in many ways that stereotype has some truth in a lot of especially older generation performers - composers are by their nature more willing to not confirm and enjoy breaking moulds.

One reason I enjoy MLP (and don't post on a classical forum, despite my passion being classical) is that here the enthusiasm for music is so high. I enjoy the not give a damn ness that I believe while still in a lot of jazz and rock, has largely been kicked out of classical music

So having a thread about classical which in its true essence is one of rebellion and freedom, is actually fitting in a place of mostly rock guys, because that's how they play their music.

I'm at music college on my phone deep on thought; probably rambling. I hope that all makes sense.

Anyway speak soon / now of to crack the whip :)

Matt

1 person likes this.
  10. Cpt Matt Sparrow

That's ever so kind Mr S, but for the next few years, as far as I can see, I'll be getting no new gear. Well not in the way of guitars.

I think the next thing is going to be some new microphones and when we do have the money, a lute and harpsichord.

My wife too loves early music - and a harpsichord has been on the list for a long time!

Matt

11. Smedley Smorganoff

Ah ok. At least you have self control, haha.

Nice that your wife is a musician too. Must help with living in "harmony".

12. Cpt Matt Sparrow

Oh no, you are a punster too! No wonder we are getting a long so well :dude:

yep, she sings/plays bass in our gypsy jazz trio and she is also a really good pianist too. She just doesn't hardly get time to practice though as she works at a residential autistic school, so often comes back wiped out! LOL

13. Smedley Smorganoff

Haha yes!

Nice, I'd like to hear your music sometime. Does having a musician wife ever get competitive at all?

I've been trying to copy some Django on the nylon string but I think it's a lot easier to do it on my les paul, haha!

14. Cpt Matt Sparrow

No, not really :cool: we both have a very similar mentality, in that we are very driven to do things the best we can, but are not interested in what others are doing in relation to that. So competitive yes, but in a 'you against you way' if that makes sense?

I suppose you could say we are both happy and focused.

Our gypsy trio is great fun and a really nice release from classical music, teaching, concerts etc. I want to get an EP released by the end of the year.

Matt

1 person likes this.
  15. Cpt Matt Sparrow

Gypsy Jazz coming - FIRE IN THE HOLE LOL

I haven't got recordings of all three of us together, but this is a piece I wrote called 'Spanish Swing' - I made the video for my guitar's maker Roy. I am going to re record it properly later with the trio, but it gives an idea of the type of things our trio hope to do.
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2ZE01c8BBM[/ame]

This is me with Alison, (our friend and the Violinist of the trio) doing our version of The James Bond theme From Russia With Love - one of my favourite Bond themes!
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7c6dA4Yk_4[/ame]

2 people like this.
  16. Smedley Smorganoff

Sounds really good, Matt! Wow, you even got the Selmer style guitar like Django! The recording sounds good to me, I might actually prefer it to be less production. I can pick out some John Mclaughlin in your style too, to my ears.

I got into Django because of the Fleetwood Mac's rendition of "Jigsaw Puzzle Blues". It was during the Peter Green days although I believe Danny Kirwan was responsible for that one. Dickey Betts' solo album "Highway Call" was another one that got me into it. Lots of great playing and nice violin too.

2 people like this.
  17. Cpt Matt Sparrow

Cheers and less production noted! I am addicted to the layering of sounds so much, (in composing especially) that this sometimes interferes too much in sonething like this, that needs to be more raw.

It's funny how often the music we listen to can bring us to a very different style. It can just be a scale or chord that points to another style, but it's enough to ignite curiosity! So the Fleetwood Mac example fascinates me!

Matt

18. Smedley Smorganoff

Yea, I know what you mean. Having 2 guitarists sometimes helps balance between the rawness and the layers. But that adds another factor to the whole thing...

Bernie Worrell from Funkadelic once told me: "Music is music".

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSJrGxH9Ni8]Jigsaw Puzzle Blues Fleetwood Mac - YouTube[/ame]

2 people like this.
  19. SteveGangi

SteveGangi V.I.P. Member

I always liked "Free your mind and your ass will follow" - George Clinton :thumb:

2 people like this.
  20. Smedley Smorganoff

For a drugged out crazy man, he sure had some eye-opening philosophies!

1 person likes this.