The MLP Classical Guitar Thread - Covering all finger style from 1500 - to now!

Discussion in 'Guitar Lessons' started by Cpt Matt Sparrow, Jan 20, 2014.

1. LenPaul

LenPaul Premium Member

Progress report, So I began with the Fuga beginning of page 8 & made it as far as the 3rd line on page 9 in the first hour.
    At this rate I may be ready to record in 3 years.:laugh2: It's a long way back.

2 people like this.
  2. SteveGangi

SteveGangi V.I.P. Member

My teacher describers Bach with the same word - relentless. I would add merciless, and evil :laugh2:
    It always surprises me when his pieces are listed in various syllabuses (syllabi?) as a 3 or 4 difficulty, and they are a bigger pain in the ass than many pieces in the 5/6/7 range :hmm:

2 people like this.
  3. SteveGangi

SteveGangi V.I.P. Member

Oh, here's that Rio de Noche piece by Yeatman. The thumb in the first section is a pretty simple groove once you have it.

Attached Files:

3 people like this.
  4. Stinky Kitty

Stinky Kitty Senior Member

This is a related link from the above vid.

"Relentless" is an understatement!

Johann Sebastian Bach, Sonata II BWV 1003, Fuga - YouTube

All so very precise and technical.
    The Terraga, for me, captures more of the mystery, romance, and emotive force.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06GVrYP6NKs[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSEvT75a0qI[/ame]

2 people like this.
  5. Cpt Matt Sparrow

Cpt Matt Sparrow Senior Member

I am going to, (as soon as I have this next recording project out the way), begin a lifelong ambition and record all four of the Bach 'Lute' Suites.

I use the inverted commas because I know that only one was probably written for the lute! But doing this will be one of those personal bucket list type things, that I will feel great pleasure having done.

I have performed BWV 997 for many years, but *still* if I haven't played it for a few months, I have to really work it up, before I can get it to resemble how I want it to sound. I have a deep fearful respect of Bach, like a child who loves his father, but knows he has to listen...

To me Bach is one of a handful of musical genius' who wasn't just a creative genius, in the way we say 'so and so is a genius' because it draws strong emotions from us, but a pure cerebral mathematics one...
    and yes Steve I agree merciless and evil too!! but I love him

Yours sadistically, but Bach lovingly

Matt xxx

3 people like this.
  6. SteveGangi

SteveGangi V.I.P. Member

2 people like this.
  7. Cpt Matt Sparrow

Good on you Steve. I like it because the ring finger (well certainly for me) is the finger that I have to keep an eye on, as it can fall behind the others if it isn't drilled regularly.

I also love Villa Lobos' Etude no 1 which is a right hand athon!!!

1 person likes this.
  8. Cpt Matt Sparrow

Just found this, wow Bream really goes for it - I imagined it to be more seething and intense, but even so, I really liked this

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mi8BtyNuVDw]Villa-Lobos / Julian Bream, 1975: Guitar Etudes Nos. 1 and 2 - Digitized RCA LP, ARL1-2499 - YouTube[/ame]

3 people like this.
  9. LenPaul

LenPaul Premium Member

I was wondering if you gentlemen would share your guitar set ups & strings you prefer.:)

Mine is . at the 12th fret Bass 5/32 (about 4 mm)
    Treble 4/32 (about 3.2 mm)
    at the 1st fret bass & treble about 2/64 (about .8 mm)
    I have it strung with D'Addario hard tension strings for now but I'm going into a "I will try any strings" for a softer fuller tone phase.:)
    Any recommendations greatly appreciated.
    I also have a few nuts & saddles for higher or lower action, where I have it now feels comfortable.

10. LenPaul

LenPaul Premium Member

The Bach BWV 998 is proving to be a major under taking for me at this time, progress has been pretty slow, not to mention the thought that I might physically hurt myself.:laugh2:
    Thought I'd give this a go, I can get though this, with numerous intermissions.:) Gonna take a long while to build up some stamina though.
    I think it's a pretty good study for right hand, especially for strengthening the ring finger to bring out the melody.
    Sor::
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvFmm3vnvo4[/ame]

2 people like this.
  11. Cpt Matt Sparrow

Hi Len

For years I have used extra hard tension D'addario strings, but recently I have preferred Saverez 520 strings.

For a softer tone though, I think the D'addario strings are better maybe..

The Saverez are ideal concert strings as they are so damn loud, especially the basses - they seem to last longer too. I often get through the bass strings in half the time I get through the treble ones so every two three weeks I change the bass' and then about every three to four I change the trebles.

Matt

1 person likes this.
  12. SteveGangi

SteveGangi V.I.P. Member

I'm using D'Addario Pro Arte strings right now - the "soft" or "regular" ones. I never checked the string height, so I have no idea what it is.

1 person likes this.
  13. SteveGangi

SteveGangi V.I.P. Member

Well, we are having a student recital in early March, I'll be doing Jose Luis Merlin's "Evocacion".

14. Cpt Matt Sparrow

Hi everyone

Sorry I have been MIA - I am on the way back from a lovely week away in Spain, where I did two concerts. One of them was a small private concert and the other charity recital raising money for Cancer Research. We made a few hundred euros, so very pleased.

The weather has been sunny, we met friends and as always, I am very sad to be leaving :( (I also ate pizzas every day LOL)

Steve, I hope we get to hear your music! And if not hear literally, at least a write up of how it went!

Speak soon amigos

Matt

2 people like this.
  15. LenPaul

LenPaul Premium Member

Nice choice, I always liked that piece! Have a good one.:thumb:

2 people like this.
  16. SteveGangi

SteveGangi V.I.P. Member

Thanks there. it should go well, I've played it long enoigh where i can pretty much just cruise along and not have to think. I will have to be careful on the speed though. I tend to keep speeding up until I run off the rails if I don't watch it. :D

I also signed up for a group performance of a Beatles song (All My Lovin) and am trying to very quickly learn a Paramore song (Emergency).

1 person likes this.
  17. Cpt Matt Sparrow

Morning amigos,

These are from last Friday's recital in Spain at an art gallery called the 'Frax Foundation'. This was my forth time here and because of my mum, we changed the charity this year to Cancer Research UK. It was a great atmosphere and lovely audience who we chatted with after.

The first piece is by the English composer John Dowland. The piece is from c.1597, so a very long time before The Beatles!! :) - but all the same human issues of loss and love are still there - we are not all the different century to century. My wife Suzie is singing xxx

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8zVOGRzR6A]Come Againe, Sweet Love Doth Now Envite - John Dowland - YouTube[/ame]

This is a sound check clip and just gives you an idea of the acoustics. I am preparing here Falla's 'Dance Of The Miller' and my version is quite deliberately at a higher tempo and also non classical than a lot of versions. I use it often as an opening piece to a recital or oppositely a closing one, as it ends on a bang!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0ExnWEhhD4]Dance Of The Miller - Manuel de Falla - YouTube[/ame]

3 people like this.
  18. naccoachbob

naccoachbob Junior Member

Just came across this thread as I'm wanting to learn some simple (if there's such a thing) Classical music.

Lately, I've been working on the Adagio From Concerto De Aranjuez. Someone posted the YouTube of of the Concerto being played,with an orchestra, previously in this thread, but I wanted to put my attempt at it on here.

Please feel free to offer any suggestions you might have on my playing. I got the version from 6-string-videos.com and really fell in love with the sound.

https://soundcloud.com/bobmoore-2/adagio-from-concerto-de

I'm also working on a sort of simple version of Malaguena, but it's a ways away from something to record. What is it about this style of music that's so intriguing? Whatever it is, I caught it. And I'm glad.

Thanks for listening, and thanks for any feedback.

Bob

By the way, I recorded it on an acoustic steel string guitar that I built last Fall into an Audio-Technica AT2020 condenser mic to a Line 6 UX2. I'll have to build a Classical guitar now.

2 people like this.
  19. Cpt Matt Sparrow

naccoachbob

A very, very warm welcome - that was very nicely played and thanks for sharing too. For a Christmas present a few years back, my wife bought me the score and orchestra backing track to the Concerto De Aranjuez. It sounds fabulous!!!

When you are ready, shoot us a pm with your email and I can send you the mp3. It is literally like playing with the entire LSO at your side!!!!!

Matt

2 people like this.
  20. Cpt Matt Sparrow

P.S

Gang,

in relation to Rodrigo and the sad passing yesterday of Paco de Lucia, did you know he actually recorded the concerto replacing the 'classical' guitar part with a more flamenco toned one.Apparently he didn't read music, but locked himself away and worked it out and then did it from memory. Rodrigo the composer was there at the performance and by all accounts loved the version he presented.

naccoachbob, so please don't fear we are all a bunch of traditionalists, we were discussing earlier how some of the 'classical' Latin American composers actually performed on a steel string too. To be honest, I prefer nylon, but so what! There are many ways to skin a cat as Paco showed.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9RS4biqyAc[/ame]

2 people like this.