The MLP Classical Guitar Thread - Covering all finger style from 1500 - to now!

Discussion in 'Guitar Lessons' started by Cpt Matt Sparrow, Jan 20, 2014.

1. Stinky Kitty

Stinky Kitty Senior Member

Much of my right hand focus is on control and balance. Trying to balance the bass and chords in a piece I've been working on, while finding the right notes in the picking pattern to make louder so that the movement between chords makes melodic sense.

2 people like this.
  2. Cpt Matt Sparrow

Cpt Matt Sparrow Senior Member

Each teacher I had was very different. The most detailed, in an academic and also analytical sense, was a guy called Steve Goss. He is known mainly as a composer, but he is also a guitarist. He made me sit there playing just an E chord one lesson for most of the hour, while teaching me about control.

Now, I know some will read that and think :hmm: - but it was one of the best lessons I had. by the end I was starting to really get what he was showing me, which was the art of playing this chord, but each time with a different command.

So if need be, he said a guitarist should be able to play it with all notes p (soft) but with the finger A (ring finger) bringing out the high E. Or All notes loud apart from the G sharp etc etc.

It is a good exercise to practice and one that at first makes you become aware how annoyingly connected each finger is. One goes loud, they all do.

So he really broke that down and made my fingers independent of one another!

----0----------------------------------------------------------------
    ----0-----------------------------------------------------------------
    ----1-----------------------------------------------------------------
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    ----0-----------------------------------------------------------------

2 people like this.
  3. paradice

paradice Senior Member

one thing it says in this book - to keep the knuckle joint above the string you're playing for free stroke - to do that I have to have my fingers practically straight out, which makes my wrist a bit bent (contradicting what it says about keeping the wrist straight)

does this make sense ?

determined to try and get this right . i've learned some fingerstyle stuff before but prob not enough that i've got any deep set bad habits yet!

4. SteveGangi

SteveGangi V.I.P. Member

I never heard that one. I usually get lectured about getting behind the string for free strokes and preparation.

5. LenPaul

LenPaul Premium Member

It's all in the angle of the dangle, so to speak.
    I place my arm on the guitar, relax the wrist & it just drops into position.

Of course it can feel a bit awkward at first, but the main thing to work at is remaining RELAXED.
    A couple pics which may help demonstrate what I'm attempting to say.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

scans are from Classic Guitar Technique Aaron Shearer.

4 people like this.
  6. Sloppy Joe

Sloppy Joe Senior Member

Excellent thread, Matt. Thanks for starting it up.

It's amazing how versatile the guitar is for making music. For me it's rock and classical. I work on Sor, Carcassi, Aguado, Brower, Bach and others. Also, I hone my rock guitar skills by practicing techniques builders like the Segovia Scales, Giulliani's 120 Studies for Right Hand Development, and so on. And, I practice and play on a steel string accoustic.

Does everyone here know about Free-Scores.com? It contains tens of thousands of pieces of music, all public domain. Lots of it is classical guitar music. It's got just about everything, and it's all free.

2 people like this.
  7. Sloppy Joe

Sloppy Joe Senior Member

2 people like this.
  8. Sloppy Joe

Sloppy Joe Senior Member

Double post error

9. Plug

Plug Senior Member

:lol:

1 person likes this.
  10. Cpt Matt Sparrow

:thumb::slash:

I found as a teacher, I get a lot of what I view as rescued pupils. In that if they were studying say the clarinet - and classical didn't really interest them and then jazz didn't either, that is pretty much it. The guitar though! There are countless other styles it is likely the pupil will like, it could be flamenco, country, pop, metal, world music.

cheers to the guitar and it's endless possibilities!

as Fred (Chopin said)

"nothing is more beautiful than the guitar, save two perhaps"

Matt

2 people like this.
  11. Cpt Matt Sparrow

3 people like this.
  12. paradice

paradice Senior Member

and I bet sometimes it goes full circle and they end up playing classical music again!

2 people like this.
  13. Cpt Matt Sparrow

LOL!

Yes! that has happens quite a lot too :)

Matt

14. SteveGangi

SteveGangi V.I.P. Member

I can't find a video for shit, but you probably know this one ... Rio De Noche, by George Yeatman. It's got an infectious little bass bounce going on to work the thumb :thumb:

15. SteveGangi

SteveGangi V.I.P. Member

3 people like this.
  16. Cpt Matt Sparrow

No!!

To be honest I have never heard of him at all and just did a google and found some of his pieces to listen to. The one that cropped up the most was his prelude in G.

A perfect example why it is great to throw in what you have, as it beneficial to us all!

Cheers Steve

Matt

1 person likes this.
  17. Cpt Matt Sparrow

I love Dans de Altiplanos, but not a huge fan of Noviembre to play/listen to, *but* it is very popular with students, so in this respect a big fan of it! I always keep my big mouth shut on what I like/don't like in lessons LOL. It isn't always easy, but what I personally like is neither here nor there!

Matt

1 person likes this.
  18. SteveGangi

SteveGangi V.I.P. Member

I don't think my technique is "quite there" yet for Altiplanos, though it is kind of fun to mess with the intro for a few bars.

1 person likes this.
  19. Cpt Matt Sparrow

I am sure it will get there though Steve, that is part of the sadistic fun, having a seemingly Ivan Drago like impossible piece, that bit by bit of a lot of work and determination you start to make head way!

Keeping with Rocky opponents :thumb: I think Leo Brouwer (at his hardest), is a cross between Apollo in his prime and Clubber Lang...
    For 'full on' Ivan Drago, for me it always Bach. Even the 'easy' pieces are always relentless - and if you have just one memory slip, it is the hardest composer to improvise your way out of in a live situation!!!

It is a true case of (in my bad Russian dialect) - "if he dies...he dies" :laugh2:

Matt

20. LenPaul

LenPaul Premium Member

Speaking of Bach, I had the urge the other day & searched my filing cabinet for over an hour looking for this piece of music.
    I know it's buried in there somewheres, but eventually googled & found what I was looking for.
    I'm wondering how long it's going to take me to get this piece up to snuff, it's been over 25 years since I took on such an ambitious adventure.
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eW5tZGuQnOU]Bach: Fugue 998 - Anika Hutschreuther, Guitar - YouTube[/ame]

& the music as well. http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j...xkMc_ZIhknaig9DdYuuRvBQ&bvm=bv.60983673,d.aWc
    the link is to a PDF file.

3 people like this.