The MLP Classical Guitar Thread - Covering all finger style from 1500 - to now!

Discussion in 'Guitar Lessons' started by Cpt Matt Sparrow, Jan 20, 2014.

1. LenPaul

LenPaul Premium Member

Nice,, you beat me to breaking the ice. I've got one to post, not as creative as yours though!!

3 people like this.
  2. LenPaul

LenPaul Premium Member

7 people like this.
  3. onehippie

onehippie Senior Member

:applause:

3 people like this.
  4. Stinky Kitty

Stinky Kitty Senior Member

4 people like this.
  5. LenPaul

LenPaul Premium Member

Thankyou, the piece itself is not difficult. It is about the best I have to offer at this time though. I don't have any memorized compositions so I have to rely on whatever sight reading ability I have & this one just seemed easier than the others.:) Unless I dig in & practice for a few weeks.

5 people like this.
  6. Stinky Kitty

That's some mighty fine sight reading! I have to memorize, else my playback is stilted. Kudos for an admirably executed piece.

3 people like this.
  7. LenPaul

LenPaul Premium Member

Well we gave it a kick start didn't we. sure beats posting U Tube videos.

3 people like this.
  8. Cpt Matt Sparrow

Cpt Matt Sparrow Senior Member

Hi Len

I'm stuck in an empty practice room, it's rainy and cold outside and just checked into mlp and then saw you had posted this!

Fine work - I really like your tone and how the melody is so clear. The day just got a little brighter!

Cheers

Matt

3 people like this.
  9. paradice

paradice Senior Member

The tone in both those is great.
    How are they recorded? Mic or pickup
    Do you have your nails long to get that sound?
    Not sure if it's the period or style or what but the one Len posted is the kind of classical music I like, bright happy sounding.
    Frog Galliard I posted before sounds similair

1 person likes this.
  10. Stinky Kitty

I used a good old SM57 > M-Audio Fastrack Pro > Garageband. Reverb added in production. The non guitar parts were done using a keyboard and one of Garageband's resident organ voicings. Very straightforward. I tried to maximize the stereo effects to accentuate the dialogue between motifs as a way of supporting her poetics of the lover and the loved.

2 people like this.
  11. Stinky Kitty

Nails shouldn't be longer than the tip of your fingers. I keep mine a bit longer, esp my thumb since I finger pick the 12 string more than strum.

1 person likes this.
  12. Cpt Matt Sparrow

A question for Len, but anyone else who can jump in.

In the U.K for the vast majority of instruments and styles, there are grade exam syllabus' - these go from grade one, to grade 8 - Grade 1 is usually taken after a year or so and Grade 8 is typically the level just prior to if you were to study a degree aged 18. Of course a lot of people are faster than that and also quite a lot slower, plus not everyone gets to grade 8 - after grade 8 there are usually three levels of diploma that are various standards of degree.

Does the country/area you live use grade exams, are they common like here in the U.K? What do local teachers use, or if you took a few lessons, what was your experience.

Cheers

Matt

13. LenPaul

LenPaul Premium Member

Hi Paradice, Like SK. my nails are just slightly longer than the fingertips.
    Too long & the tone becomes brittle & bright. I think there is a perfect balance between
    finger tip & nail string contact that produces a full tone. Of course this will vary from player to player & from style to style. i.e. Classical vs Flamenco.

My guitar was recorded with an AKG C 535EB mic about a 18 inches away & pointed directly at the soundhole. Some reverb & a little EQ in the lower mids.

2 people like this.
  14. LenPaul

LenPaul Premium Member

Matt, Here in Canada the Royal Conservatory is very much the same I would think.
    Grades 1 to 8 followed by grades 9 & 10 followed by associate diplomas ARCT in teaching,
    performing, composition.

15. Cpt Matt Sparrow

Almost identical!

I wonder if our countries follow a similar grade exam styling because of being closer in similarity to out American cousins? I spoke to two American friends who are both classical guitarists and they insist that until music college/uni, you study, yes, bot there are no exams - interesting!

Here most exams boards post grade 8 are; Associate, Licentiate and Fellow - but there was always some confusion as the ARCM - was actually equivalent to the Licentiate, as was the Guildhall School of Music's exam, the AGSM too... Plus The London College Of Music has a diploma prior to the Associate level. I always though, jeez, this must be such a headache to employers!

Matt

16. SteveGangi

SteveGangi V.I.P. Member

I have mine just a teeny bit past the tips. Any more than that, they start to get a bit too "grabby"

2 people like this.
  17. Cpt Matt Sparrow

Me too Steve. I found years ago that long nails meant I could play solo lines very fast, but made cross string playing very difficult, plus the tone of skin plus nail seemed to my ears anyway, nicer than mostly nail.

Matt

2 people like this.
  18. Stinky Kitty

A gauge I have used is that at the right length, I should be aware of mixing nail into the stroke, rather than working to remove the nail from the stroke.

1 person likes this.
  19. paradice

paradice Senior Member

Free stroke and rest stroke - are you always aware of what one you are using? just now I'm pretty happy just hitting the right string cleanly :d
    The left hand fingering is proving to be the hardest thing for me, guess I'm just not a natural at working it out. Found a book with all the fingerings in it though (another Scott Tennant book) helps a LOT!

2 people like this.
  20. Cpt Matt Sparrow

I am always aware, but once upon a time as a younger learner, I was much more haphazard!

I often use rest strokes for melody lines over accompaniment, just bring out the melody.

I remember how this feels!:)

Matt

2 people like this.