The MLP Classical Guitar Thread - Covering all finger style from 1500 - to now!

Discussion in 'Guitar Lessons' started by Cpt Matt Sparrow, Jan 20, 2014.

1. Cpt Matt Sparrow

Cpt Matt Sparrow Senior Member

We went to Yorkshire to see some friends recently and it was also the perfect opportunity to finally meet this chap Tony Johnson, who is the maker of my 1991 classical guitar of the same name. He lives where the British comedy 'Last Of The Summer Wine' was filmed in a tiny village called Holmfirth. He makes Lutes and Guitars mainly, but I was like a boy in a sweet shop trying various guitars and chin wagging about his work!

The guitar he made, he knew the exact date it was made, the date Jonathan Leathwood bought it, the date of its first concert etc! The chap who sold it to me (my professor at Uni) regreted selling to me greatly and has mentioned a few times on facebook if he could have first refusal. Funnily enough, the chap he bought it off (Jonathan), feels the same. There is no way I would sell it!!

[​IMG]

Also, I was very excited playing this Parlour guitar from 1830. A real vintage axe!!

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. SteveGangi

SteveGangi V.I.P. Member

I wouldn't mind taking a tour of a luthier shop myself, some day. The finished products are out of my price range, but the process of building them up from nothing is fascinating.

1 person likes this.
  3. SteveGangi

SteveGangi V.I.P. Member

What's been going on lately? My teacher just started me on "Allegro" by Mauro Giuliani (Opus 48 No. 6). It's yet another one that isn't as simple as it seems.

2 people like this.
  4. Cpt Matt Sparrow

Hi Steve

Nice piece :cool:

I have been away for a few months, but came back onto mlp again last week and it is great to see you and hear you are still hard at work! :D

I really don't think there is such a thing anymore as an easy piece even. If it is easy, it becomes hard, as to make it sound interesting means extra concentration and effort.

Mattster!

2 people like this.
  5. LenPaul

LenPaul Premium Member

Yup, I know whats ya sayin.
    The notes as written on the staff aren't all that hard to read & get though,, it's struggling for performance & tone that takes the Nylon guitar to places
    where steel string acoustics & electrics guitars will never venture.
    Kind of addictive, isn't it.

1 person likes this.
  6. SteveGangi

SteveGangi V.I.P. Member

Yes it is, and just the slightest shift of the hand changes everything.

7. SteveGangi

SteveGangi V.I.P. Member

Well, welcome back!

1 person likes this.
  8. Cpt Matt Sparrow

1 person likes this.
  9. SteveGangi

SteveGangi V.I.P. Member

We had our Spring student recital recently. For my piece, I chose the Tango (the middle piece) from Pujol's "Suite del Plata No. 1".

I had previously done the Prelude and the Milonga from the same Suite.

10. Cpt Matt Sparrow

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-o8qBKnLtsA[/ame]

11. cooltouch

cooltouch Junior Member

I've been a member of this forum for years, but this is the first I've noticed this thread. Glad I found it. I've been playing guitar since 1965, and I've been a classical player since 1972. Even though I play electrics, I still consider myself to be primarily a classical player.

In 2004, I began doing something I've wanted to for many years -- build my own guitars. I specialize in classicals now. The guitar I play most often now is a Hauser emulation I built back in 2005. A nice guitar, I think. Well, at least I like it.

These days I don't play as much as I'd like. I sustained an injury to my right hand in 2006, which has required that I retrain two fingers. We moved a couple of years ago, and when we did, I lost my shop, so I don't have any shop space right now. So my building has been put on hold indefinitely. I'm thinking about converting part of my garage so I can get back to it. Can't wait.

Here's a pic of my Hauser copy:
    [​IMG]

12. cooltouch

cooltouch Junior Member

Well, since I see other members are posting news of the pieces they are currently working on, I thought I'd do the same.

I've been working on Villa Lobos's Suite Populaire Brezilienne for the past couple of months. I have the first four pieces pretty much memorized now and have just begun working on the fifth. For those of you who play the suite, I wonder, do you find the Chorinho (number 5) to be difficult? It's not that it's all the difficult, it's more a case of I just don't like it. The first four pieces in the suite are very nice, but number five leaves me with a bad taste in my mouth. It seems out of place with the rest of the suite, as well. A piece that would fit much better in the suite, methinks, is the Choros. It's lively and spirited and would fit well against the Gavotte Choro (number four). But alas, that's not the way Villa Lobos chose to group these pieces. Still, I reckon I could if I wanted. I mean, who's to stop me, and more importantly, I wonder if anyone would really care?

Thoughts? Are you a purist when it comes to this sort of thing, or do you allow yourself some wiggle room?

13. SteveGangi

SteveGangi V.I.P. Member

I think it's time to get this thread going again. I have reached the proficiency level where I can actually perform Andrew York's "Sunday Morning Overcast", Laurindo Almeida's arrangements of "Over the Rainbow", "Lara's Theme" and "Ebb Tide", and Leo Brouwer's "Un Dia de Noviembre".

After a "mass retirement/transfer/quit" phase at work in December/January, the hiring/transfer freeze, and all the overtime just to keep the office functioning, all I can do for the moment is to just try and stay at this level. Progressing is damn hard now, having less free time and energy.