The MLP Classical Guitar Thread - Covering all finger style from 1500 - to now!

Discussion in 'Guitar Lessons' started by Cpt Matt Sparrow, Jan 20, 2014.

1. Cpt Matt Sparrow

Cpt Matt Sparrow Senior Member

Paradice, this makes me think of this piece by Jeff Healey

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzr7q3Flh2Q]JEFF HEALEY - Nice problem to have - YouTube[/ame]

1 person likes this.
  2. SteveGangi

SteveGangi V.I.P. Member

We're going to have yet another "student recital" in December... in keeping with "all things Brouwer" I am seriously considering Un Dia De Novembre. I've been working on (polishing up) Andrew York's Sunday Morning Overcast but I don't think it will be ready in time. It's still not smooth enough.

2 people like this.
  3. Cpt Matt Sparrow

Steve!!

How long?

Has it passed...

any clips?

Matt

4. SteveGangi

SteveGangi V.I.P. Member

No clips yet, either I'm getting senile, or all the new shit is too damn complicated. 50 menus just to prepare the damn things to format the memory and then 50 more to set up how to record, set the format and sampling and then finally to record. What was wrong with the old "press the record button" system??

1 person likes this.
  5. Brian I

Brian I Senior Member

I've been getting really into classical playing since getting this guitar;

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  6. Cpt Matt Sparrow

That sounds awfully complicated! I have started to use my iPhone memo to record stuff and the sound is surpringly very good. How did it go though Steve? Were you pleased?

Hi Brian

Horray!!! It is finally here. You look a happy man :) Congratulations.

Matt

7. SteveGangi

SteveGangi V.I.P. Member

It won't be until after Christmas, on the 28th.

1 person likes this.
  8. Cpt Matt Sparrow

I have always had very thick nails and no problems with breakages, although my friend picked up a tip from his teacher usung ping pong balls and super glueing them to his own nail, he then shaped and buffered accordingly!! Thei nails were prone to breakages - there are loads of creams and tips various people swear by!

Anyway, quite a good video on shaping - it (the nail shapes of each individual) do vary to an extent, but as a general video I thought this was pretty good - how are everyone's nails here?

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1leA0JKHhE[/ame]

2 people like this.
  9. SteveGangi

SteveGangi V.I.P. Member

Interesting... The right way is what mine look like, but no one ever told me... I did it because the other (bad) ones were just too grabby. Trial and error worked. As for the strength, I guess I'm lucky, I don't have to worry about breakage. In fact, some folks act surprised that I can pick a nylon, a steel, even a 12 string.

2 people like this.
  10. SteveGangi

SteveGangi V.I.P. Member

Our recital was today. I started the whole shebang with a giant brain fart. For my solo I loudly announced I would be playing Andrew York's "Sunday Morning Overcast" and then broke into Brouwer's "Um Dia De Noviembre" instead :laugh2:

For the group/band playing I did the Beatles "Help", the Pretenders "Back On The Chain Gang", and Joan Jett's "I Love Rock And Roll".

This time we had some variety, as there were cello, violin and piano soloists too.

2 people like this.
  11. LenPaul

LenPaul Premium Member

My wife wishes she had mine, & I don't spend a 10th of the time caring for them.
    I have a hard time with the nail on the index finger, It can't handle steel strings & is almost always in pretty poor shape.

Here's a pic, nails uncared for in nearly 2 weeks now,, a couple of them
    held the shape though. pic worth a thousand words, that's my excuse for posting it anyhows.:laugh2:

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  12. Cpt Matt Sparrow

Steve, to have your wits about you, to have a piece to suddenly detour with is pretty cool! You have mentioned the Brouwer piece before, I can tell it is a favourite.

In the pic quote as I write it reads 'shabby nails' Len :laugh2: - I love it! Jeez, I am forever trying to get my nails perfect. Too long - and the tone goes (although playing speedy scales is easier) - and too short and I miss the damn strings!

Anyway, who was the all time greatest Ali or Jo Louis (The Mattster tries to make us appear bad asses after nail talk)

Matt

13. SteveGangi

SteveGangi V.I.P. Member

Yes, it is a favorite of mine, even though it took a while to learn it.
    For me, it's not a matter of speed, if they get too long they get a grabby feeling to them. The nails start bending down and start hooking the strings and getting kind of stuck.

1 person likes this.
  14. Cpt Matt Sparrow

I know what you mean Steve! People are usually surprised how short I keep my right hand nails. They assume that people who play classical all have mega long nails I suppose. Certainly for cross string playing I find short nails not only sound fuller, but are more efficient too.

For fast scalic runs (recently Bach's Chacone)- I have been using P, I and M alot - it feels good. :fingersx:

Matt

2 people like this.
  15. SteveGangi

SteveGangi V.I.P. Member

My scalic single note "runs" are not that fast... compared to some people. It's OK though, I've seen and heard worse too.

16. Cpt Matt Sparrow

I thought you'd all find this mega cool!!!

[​IMG]
    photo upload

How often I wonder do you see these chaps at the same party! - it's from a Christmas party in London from 2014.

My colleague just 'dropped it in' (GRRRR LOL), that he went to it and was introduced to Leo Brouwer (in the middle). He said to Brouwer that he taught classical guitar and how much his students loved the composers 'etudes simples' - he said Brouwer was absolutely charming and utterly delighted at the compliment saying "...a lot of teachers/older performers still don't like some of my work, as they find it too dissonant, but I am always pleased to hear peeople have enjoyed it, especially young musicians..."

Matt

2 people like this.
  17. huw

huw V.I.P. Member

4 people like this.
  18. Cpt Matt Sparrow

Huw, is that yours? Cheers!!

As well as my stationary addiction - I have got a weird collecting fetish of buying old learning books.

Matt

1 person likes this.
  19. huw

huw V.I.P. Member

It's not mine, Matt - it was posted on TGP t'other day, and as Segovia is no longer with us, I don't feel too bad about not having paid for it... ;)

Old text books are a vice of mine too, although I've cooled off these days because of my visual impairment (I have to use a magnifying glass to read my old copy of Structural Functions Of Harmony).

:)

1 person likes this.
  20. paradice

paradice Senior Member

for the fingering on those segovia scales....
    do you think it means to repeat the rh pattern for every octave?

so for the first one i m i m i m i - i m i m i m i

or i m i m i m i - m i m i m i m -

and for the last one...

i m a m i m a - i m a m i m a - i m a m i m a

or i m a m i m a - m i m a m i m - a m i m a m i - m a m i m a m etc
    ??