The MLP Classical Guitar Thread - Covering all finger style from 1500 - to now!

Discussion in 'Guitar Lessons' started by Cpt Matt Sparrow, Jan 20, 2014.

1. SteveGangi

SteveGangi V.I.P. Member

I found a "Stealth Plug" thingamadoohicky I had misplaced. I will mess around with it and see what happens, between it and the "Audacity" program this week.

2 people like this.
  2. Brian I

Brian I Senior Member

Ok, so it's not about playing classical guitar, but a phenomenal classical maker in England is building me a guitar and here are some photos of the progress :)

The maker is Colin Symonds, he's studied under Romanillos, restored centuries old lutes for museums (as well as built replicas of them), and was a great player until an unfortunate accident cost him some of his fingers on his left hand.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  3. Cpt Matt Sparrow

Cpt Matt Sparrow Senior Member

Hi Brian

Welcome and looking good

Matt

4. Brian I

Brian I Senior Member

Thanks Matt, I actually posted in this thread back on the first page too.

5. Cpt Matt Sparrow

6. Cpt Matt Sparrow

I have been teaching a lot about tone recently and my friend Logan sent me this old article he wrote about the right hand several years back. Learning to play initially, I was shown two very different schools of thought with the right hand. The first, where the hand played directly downwards; so the kunckle strikes the string towards your leg - staight down - producing a tone that is bright and crisp. The second was the idea being the finger picks the string at an angle producing a more full and warmer tone.

Anyway, here is Logan's article about it. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

The Right Hand by Logan Gabriel

Let me start by stating what this article is not. It is not a treatise on what we should or should not use to set the strings in motion. What I mean by that is I will not compare the pros and cons over fingernails, fingertips or fingerpicks. I will however address some of the essential points regardless which method is used.

The first point I would like to address is that of tone. A good tone is desirable by all. Well, what is a good tone? That question means many different things to many different people, and ones tone is as individual as ones personality. All I can do is state how I define good tone, and hope that yours is something similar.

Good tone is one that is warm, and round as well as easily projected and consistent. In order to achieve this definition of good tone here are a few points to consider:

Angle of the hand in relationship to the strings. This means that the hand should be in what Aaron Shearer called it’s mid range. The mid range is this: Place your arm straight out in front of you with the fingers straight out. Now, turn your wrist to the right while keeping the arm straight this is one extreme. Now, turn the wrist to the left, this is the other extreme. The best angle of attack is when the hand is in the middle of these two extremes. So when you are playing and your tone begins to falter look at your wrist and see if you are in the midrange or not.

From which knuckle joint does the majority of finger motion come from? This is a question that should be on the mind of every guitarist. The finger is broken down into sections that are separated by a knuckle joint. From the fingertip to the first knuckle joint is called the tip segment (This is another Aaron Shearer idea), then you have the second knuckle joint, and lastly the third knuckle joint, which I call the large knuckle joint. All finger movement should originate from the large knuckle joint. All other knuckle movement is sympathetic to the large knuckle joint. The purpose for this is that by observing this method the whole finger moves, this gives us more volume, better tone, and keeps the hand relaxed.

The last principle to good tone I will address in this article pertains to the tip segment (from the fingertip to the first knuckle joint). It should not be stiff and rigid, but collapse when a string is played weather it be free stroke or rest stroke. Try this: with the index finger of the right hand (i) place it on the high e string as though you are about to play the string. Now, without playing the string apply pressure to the string so that the tip segment collapses and is hyper extended ( not too much you don’t want to dislocate the tip joint) when that is achieved apply that little bit of pressure so the finger plucks the note and the string sounds open. That is the proper movement of the finger through the string. Try that with all of the fingers.

Some of these ideas may be foreign to some people but I believe they are some of the basic building blocks on good tone and proper right hand technique which is so important in fingerstyle guitar. If you have any questions or comments please feel free to e mail me at A19thcentguitar@aol.com I will reply as soon as possible.

About The Author

Logan Gabriel is a Classical/Fingerstyle guitarist. He began playing on a guitar that his parents purchased at a tag sale when he was eight years old. He studied with a local teacher who introduced him to the playing of Julian Bream, Andres Segovia, and John Williams, as well as Ralph Towner and Michael Hedges. Logan attended Keene State College where he studied Performance and Theory with Jose Lezcano, and Composition with Craig Sylvern.

Logan's latest release is called "Tree and Leaf: original music for solo guitar", which can be purchased by emailing Logan for details. As a composer and arranger, his arrangements of Bach are published by Productions d'OZ (the arrangements will be available at the end of the month). Logan lives in New Hampshire with his wife Leah and their two children Mertz and Alina.

2 people like this.
  7. paradice

paradice Senior Member

anyone ever seen the William Kenengiser DVD's 'Effortless classical guitar' and 'Classical guitar mastery' ?
    he goes right in to the mechanics like Logan Gabriel above, even has a fake nail and guitar to demonstrate what happens when you pluck the string!
    it all makes perfect sense when you know WHY you're supposed to pluck the string in a certain way instead of - 'if you do this, that's better', he explains about why the direction you push the string down before releasing it gives different results, so much detail
    he explains what causes the 'high partials' as he puts it, I forget the other terms

the DVD's are only about 15 quid each on Amazon, one of the best instructional aids I've got.

some kind soul has added them on youtube!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQxpC05pX6Y&list=UUg4U94qGQeJ3rrATaY9Zwtw

1 person likes this.
  8. John Ucol

John Ucol Senior Member

3 people like this.
  9. Brian I

Brian I Senior Member

Almost there...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5 people like this.
  10. grahamavcmhons

grahamavcmhons Junior Member

Hi all, just come across this section, been playing classical for about 30yrs. Big fan of the classics from Albeniz, Tarrega etc.

I play a Phillip Woodfield classical, had the guitar about 25years and love it, just swapped an old start I had for an Amalio Burquet classical and had a k&k pick up fitted in it.

Will post some recordings soon.:)

2 people like this.
  11. naccoachbob

naccoachbob Junior Member

I replaced the song that I had entered into post 118, and thought I could edit the post to reflect the newer version, but can't find a way to edit.
    Can someone clue me in?
    Much obliged,
    Bob

1 person likes this.
  12. FrankieOliver

FrankieOliver Senior Member

Looking good, Billy Ray!

1 person likes this.
  13. Cpt Matt Sparrow

Morning amigos

I am quite elated actually - this recording (c. the 14:50 version on the clip) was the recording that got me hooked on classical guitar in about 1988. YouTube is bloody amazing!!! Narcisco Yepes performing three versions of J.S Bach's Chaconne. I love his ten string guitar sound.

I will post a clip as soon as I have made any kind of headway with it.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcHOipESEN4]Bach's CHACONNE, 3 versions | Narciso YEPES | 10 String Guitar | Ten String Classical Guitar - YouTube[/ame]

1 person likes this.
  14. Cpt Matt Sparrow

Hi Bob, sorry for the late reply. Alas, once a certain time has passed, the edit function disappears.

It is a cross we have to bare! Think what it is like when you have said harsh words, gone back to edit onlt to find they are there for eternity - immortalised in the world of mlp...

that wasn't too melodramatic was it?

Matt

15. Cpt Matt Sparrow

Anyone else on facebook?

I just found this group called 'Classical Guitar Student and Teacher Forum' - even saw the long white haired old professor of mine (who looks a cross between Father Christmas and a slightly portly Gandulf) is a member :)

But some useful stuff!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/274662036019194/

16. paradice

paradice Senior Member

I got right in to playing the classical guitar at the start of the year but for a few reasons stopped practicing as much and only occasionally picked it up to make sure I could still play the few things I learned earlier in the year

yesterday I had a smoke and sat for ages going through the Pumping Nylon book, my hands feel soo much better for it today!!

got that feeling I had earlier in the year again of looking forward to getting home to play and try and improve

also have the urge to go and get a new guitar again too which should help as the one I have just now is very basic, including a chopped up credit card for a saddle :D

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  17. Cpt Matt Sparrow

Great stuff! It is one of life's joys to know you have a slot of time, whether it be minutes or hours, to get lost in those lovely nylon strings :applause:

sounds like you may have cashed in on something here - I wasn't going to mention anything, but credit, where credit due!

Matt

p.s to hell with it. The puns are in all my other posts, why shouldn't people be pun ished here too :shock::D

1 person likes this.
  18. paradice

paradice Senior Member

About looking for a new guitar.... I know it's down to personal preference but with a budget of £400. Could you name 1 specific model?

19. Cpt Matt Sparrow

20. paradice

paradice Senior Member

Cool, there's a guitarguitar very close to me. At least I have a particular model to try. Reckon I could spend all day suing guitars and not be able to choose one!

1 person likes this.