The MLP Blues Guitar Course

Discussion in 'Guitar Lessons' started by sliding tom, Feb 16, 2009.

1. rambler

rambler Senior Member

Cool thread, nothing I didn't know already (yet) but having everything in one place, explained so well with examples is awesome. Can't wait for your next installments :].

A cool practice thing that I do is play licks with my internal blues backing track going, trying to make the chord changes noticeable while not playing any chords, harder than it sounds.

I can show this thread to anyone wanting to learn and understand the blues and they'll have heaps of good info at their fingertips, hopefully I can give it to some of my mates who seem to think that the blues is eaaaaasy and they've already mastered it. I just lol at them and say "just because you shred the pentatonic and bend every so often doesn't mean you're playing real blues". Restraint is such a key thing in soloing, don't go out there trying to impress people, if you're good, people will realise this. Knowing when to hold back and when to let loose is key (probably more relevant in a blues-rock style with extended instrumental sections, less so in traditional delta, chicago, or texas style blues).

A+ thread, bookmarked for future reference for myself and students of mine.

2. Wizzle

Wizzle Banned

You could try TabPlayer. It's easy to use and nce you have the piece tabbed out just save it as a text file. When you want to use it, open it up, copy it and paste it here in the Reply box.

TabPlayer mini-site: free guitar tablature editor and player for Windows

3. hamp

hamp Member

This thread is really helping me out. Thanks Tom!

4. fast1

fast1 Senior Member

5. rambler

rambler Senior Member

any more installments coming up ;x?

6. sliding tom

sliding tom Senior Member

Hi everybody! Unfortunately my PC fried more than four weeks ago, that's why you haven't seeen me around here for so long. I'm back up now (since about an hour ago) so expect more to come in a while. Thanks for all your appreciation. :)

7. hamp

hamp Member

awesome, I cant wait.

8. guitarsmark

guitarsmark Senior Member

Hey Tom, Awesome thread - I am learning lots about the blues!

9. mattsblues

mattsblues Senior Member

Good thread and VERY useful.

I started playing the age of 24 (last Sept). Seven months ago I went to my first open jam, I was familiar with basic major and minor chords and the pentatonic box (not plural) and wow it was an eye opener. I would GREATLY suggest anybody who has never been to an open jam to go, it'll open your eyes, you will meet some great new people and LEARN a ton.

I had no clue what 1-4-5 was, I was clueless. Shortly after my first one I realized I had a lot of weak spots in my playing that needed to be addressed. A friend recommend a book to me from Matt Smith called Chop Shop. It is a great into to music theory for guitar. I have read through that thing and memorized everything.

I never thought music theory was important but it seems that most great guitar players (most) know theory extremely well. People are amazed that hear me play when they find out I haven't even been playing for a full year. Theory, lots of good structured practicing and a desire go a long way I think!

10. rambler

rambler Senior Member

playing with other musicians has to be the single most helpful thing i've ever done, it forces you to up your game, stay in time, work in song format, carry some weight, and learn how to be musical and original instead of rehearsing scales or other peoples songs.. great practice

11. mattsblues

mattsblues Senior Member

Yep - exactly. I think it also helps you learn how to apply what you practice. I had that problem with modal playing, it is easy to practice modes but actually applying that and playing a modal solo out at jams is a bit different.

12. FretMastaFlex

FretMastaFlex Member

Yep, playing with others is the way to go. You get all that as well as insights into new ideas, styles and ways to manipulate the strings. My guitar playing has always developed and evolved fastest when I'm playing with others frequently.

13. recsec

recsec Junior Member

This is great. I'm taking lessons on playing the Blues and this is really expanding my learning. Thank you!!! Keep it coming.

14. tang350

tang350 Junior Member

This is a great thread with a lot of terrific information! I have been playing about a year or so and have learned a lot from all of you on this forum. Tom, you have really made a lot of things "click" in my musical head. I am having to go back and review a lot but it's really making sense.

I cannot thank you enough

:applause:

15. One Vision

One Vision Member

Great thread. :cheers:

I think the only reason people are "afraid" of learning theory, is because they associate it with "rules", claiming they don't want to be limited. No matter which way you look at it, theory is everywhere, and every single piece of music can be explained theoretically, even John Cage's "4'33". :laugh2:

Theory is just a way of communicating musical ideas from one musician to another.

16. Jayce62

Jayce62 Senior Member

Wow :shock:
    My old guitar teacher covered all this stuff with me...
    I thought he was crazy making me learn all major and minor scale positions and naming every note on the fretboard and knowing the relative minor chord of every major chord.

I think I will thank him next time I see him. :shock:

17. PINKBITS

PINKBITS Senior Member

Agreed, excellent. :applause:

18. Raku10

Raku10 Senior Member

Great thread, I'm learning a lot here.
    I sat down tonight and really tried to memorize the note names on the pent scale.

19. harpman54

harpman54 Senior Member

Great thread. Soooo much useful teaching here. My learning process is the same as building a brick wall, a piece at a time. So far, this thread has put a lot of the pieces available for me to use. Practice time is the limiting factor though, I've got to get more of that in order to progress, but this thread is something I know I'll keep coming back to time and time again. Thanks!

bill

20. Harmony

Harmony V.I.P. Member

A great thread