The Mad Hatter's Tea Party

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by Phil47uk, May 9, 2012.

1. Phil47uk

Phil47uk Senior Member

I think that Americans on the whole are far more optimistic than Brits.
    It is a relatively new country where people have been subjected to optimistic slogans over the years.." Be true to yourself".."Life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness." The American dream" etc etc etc.
    America has never been attacked as in the case of the UK so has never really experienced the hardships of digging themselves out of the rubble so to speak.
    The post war years in America were productive..Colour TV's, big cars, eat out diners as the war industry quite easily reverted back to manufacturing for the consumer .
    Not so in the U.K. where the post war years were all about rebuilding half the cities and manufacturing plants. Even as a little boy in London in the 50's I can remember my mum having a ration book and eating powdered eggs from a tin.

The American mindset has always been built on optimism with self help groups on just about every subject you could imagine.
    Brits on the other hand are generally far more pessimistic.
    I steer clear of military muscle threads but do shake my head in disbelief at all the "The French run and surrender" posts and suchlike you often get from some of the Rambo types.
    The French surrendered simply because they didn't have the stomach for another war after losing virtually half it's male population some twenty years earlier on it's own soil.
    What a lot of people also don't know is that the number of American dead at the D day landings would have been immense and an absolute massacre had not British generals intervened.
    The average US conscript back then had never seen military action and hand to hand street fighting and their only contact with firearms was going hunting and owning guns as youngsters on farms etc.
    When it came to D day many young Americans were raring to go and believed it would be an out and out turkey shoot.
    It was only after British generals and American generals got together on plans for the beach landings that orders were given down the chain of command to curb the enthusiasm of the soldiers and in fact most of their officers too that a total all out massacre was avoided. Most had no idea or simply didn't care that the German military were an extremely highly experienced and well oiled combat machine.
    Luckily attack plans were changed and thousands of young American lives were saved.
    And in the meantime the French resistance at extreme peril to themselves and families passed on vital information and blew German supply lines to clear a path wherever they could.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
    BBD, 79standard, artis_xe and 2 others like this.
  2. redjunior

redjunior Ooooh, the colors.... Premium Member

I thoroughly believe that also... With all the slogans and propaganda we entered the Vietnam war thinking it wouldbe a turkey shoot...The French warned us, Kennedy didn't want to go in, Then President Diem was assasinated... Gave the hawks an in, when President Kennedy was assasinated the drumming got louder and the death machine went from idle to full bore, living in a Navy town, I got to hear the stories and it chilled me.. Dad was in charge of, um, certain weapons at that time so I got the whole picture..Had a civil defense drill in 62, I refused to get under the desk and crouch... Told the Teacher I wanted to go outside and see the flash... Boy did I get in trouble... But when they called Dad he told them to lay off, the school was less than a quarter mile from the base, and no chance of survival... You get to be pessimistic and pragmatic when that is your introduction to war...

cmh6122, BBD, 79standard and 3 others like this.
  3. redjunior

Plus, my folks were dirt poor during the depression.. they carried that attitude of "It can all be gone in a second" throughout their lives.. And that colored mine..

4. Phil47uk

Phil47uk Senior Member

Sounds like your dad was a sensible man Red..:dude:

This is well worth a watch and sums up the difference between American and Brit humour wonderfully..

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
    MelvinDale, cmh6122, BBD and 4 others like this.
  5. Phil47uk

Phil47uk Senior Member

Their parenting paid off well Red...:cheers:

cmh6122, BBD, 79standard and 2 others like this.
  6. redjunior

I have to agree on the differences, but for some reason, I must have not drunk the kool-aid about America... Not saying I didn't drink Kool-aid in later life...:cool2: But I have always identified with the loser.. Probably my upbringing.. Dad never spoke of his experiences in WWII in the Pacific, I didn't know a thing until I found his old photo album after he died.. And the Medals he had won.. I only found out my Uncle was in the Bataan death march a year before he died when the Government sent him the Silver Star he had won escaping and bringing several other men with him.... Life will always give you lemons.. But sometimes if you have a bit of water and sugar, you can have lemonade..

I have always felt a little out of step here in America...

7. artis_xe

artis_xe Christopher

g afternoons and evenings

Optimism is a good thing to have __ even when it's only a Dream . ( it doesn't have to be the American version ) . I can't imagine the idea of hanging my head low , and " accepting my lot in life " . not going to say that I drank the Kool-Aid , but Imagination drives the Spirit . even at the worst times , it's always good to think that something better is around the corner

BBD, sliding tom, 79standard and 2 others like this.
  8. artis_xe

artis_xe Christopher

had a bit of an epiphany this morning , or at least the closest that I've ever gotten to one :laugh2:

I really do appreciate the options that having 16 guitars presents to me . but after the last two years of collecting them __ buying more hasn't given me more time with them . it was never the idea that I would be a better player , if I only had this or that model . instead , it became more like solidifying a promise . " I'm going to spend more time exploring the sounds that this one will give me " , I could tell myself

another thread once asked , if you could have your dream guitar __ what would it be ? my answer to that , was that I'd like to have something that would make me want to forget all of the others ( no idea what that would be ) . I have a few favorites , and I want to spend my time with them . sooooo

I'm starting by getting rid of a couple of them . never got along with an acoustic that Laura picked out for me . she understands that I'm not going to hold onto it for sentimental value , if it's not going to get played . and one of my hollow bodies doesn't get any attention either . the thin body doesn't compare to my other hollow __ which I love . so it's a start . I'll be able to focus on my favorites more

cmh6122, BBD, sliding tom and 2 others like this.
  9. Phil47uk

Phil47uk Senior Member

You'll usually find that it's those who have really been in the thick of it are the last ones to talk about it Red.
    My dad like yours for instance never talked about the war or his boxing days either.
    I only found out that he had been awarded a belt from an uncle and that he had handed it back to the boxing board after critically injuring (not intentionaly ) another boxer in a match..He never ever went back into the ring again.
    He never talked about those days nor would he ever teach me any boxing skills.

cmh6122, BBD, sliding tom and 3 others like this.
  10. redjunior

I never knew that Dad had hand-fuzed bombs and dumped them out of a plane that was not set up to drop bombs...He spent most of his time in the Pacific in the vicinity of the Philippines, with occasional stops in Melbourne... Night missions in PBY's. They got shot up over the Sunda strait once... The belt buckle I wear is a piece of Monel from that plane... I believe the squadron was called the Black Cats, all the planes were flat black so as not to be detected at night... Horrifying stuff... With that was letters to his buddies in other theaters.. I finally understood why he never spoke of it..

11. Phil47uk

Phil47uk Senior Member

Things often turn out best for those who make the best of how things turn out...:laugh2:

I must admit that I think I am probably more of a pessimist than an optimist which is not good I know but perhaps the only up side to it is that you rarely feel let down..:rofl:

12. Phil47uk

Phil47uk Senior Member

Great that you still have a piece of your dad's history in that belt buckle Red. What a wonderful momento..:dude:

People like your dad must have gone through hell and back over there and seen and experienced some horrendous things..No wonder he didn't want to relive it by talking about it.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019 at 12:10 AM
    cmh6122, BBD, sliding tom and 2 others like this.
  13. redjunior

Very true, I went to the internet to find out the history of his unit, He was one of only 14 in his Squadron who survived the war... when I was young I got to meet three of them..

14. 79standard

79standard Senior Member

Wow... :shock:
    Amazing stories tonight!

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019 at 2:57 AM
    cmh6122, artis_xe, BBD and 3 others like this.
  15. 79standard

79standard Senior Member

Some wise person once said "expectations are like premeditated disappointment," and I can see that, yes, but I also like Christopher's way of looking at the world.
    A little joy never hurt, if you can manage it.

As for optimism, Mom and Dad were Depression Babies, so I remember a lot of their stories, and the stories of friends younger and older who had horrible sh*tty lives, so I know good fortune can go to sh*t in a second, but I need my slaphappy, easily amused side to balance my "glass half empty and is probably filled with poison anyway" side.

16. redjunior

That's it! you have it, Tim!..... I knew there was a reason! No wonder I am attracted to Brit humour.... glass half empty, and probably filled with poison anyway.....:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Thank you.....:rofl::rofl:

17. 79standard

79standard Senior Member

I am glad my cyberscribblings had the desired effect, Red!
    I just came up with that one on the spot, as my standby, "glass half empty has fallen off the table and the broken glass has somehow pierced a major artery" was too damned clunky. :D
    This thread is the only place besides FB where my words have an understanding and appreciative audience.
    Blessed be, Red, and may Giant Goat-Being bless us, every one!

18. redjunior

Yes, Goaticus... Blessed be, Tim...

cmh6122, 79standard, artis_xe and 3 others like this.
  19. sliding tom

sliding tom Senior Member

Good Morning folkses! :wave:

20. Phil47uk

Phil47uk Senior Member

:lol:...:applause:
    I think Brits have a history that virtually dictates to them that doom and gloom is around the corner and more or less to expect failure..:laugh2:
    Having a long history encourages one to see more futility in things, I think. Having wide-open spaces everywhere encourages the idea that anything is possible. Moreover, Britain has the advantage of having seen actual consequences in its history which the US hasn't really. Britain got blitzed in the war. America "won" the war while suffering only Pearl Harbor on home soil. Vietnam aside, American History paints a very optimistic picture, while an older nation's culture will see history through a guarded lens at best.