The Mad Hatter's Tea Party

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by Phil47uk, May 9, 2012.

1. Mindfrigg

Mindfrigg Senior Member

My problem with some of my teachers was that they could tell me when someone had created something. Maybe even speculate why they did it. But not how they did it.

I had art teachers who couldn't draw or paint worth a damn. And music teachers who were not very good musicians. I didn't want to hear about art history every week. That's a history teacher. I didn't want to hear about music history much of the time...or simply be a replay device for "classics" that had been performed ad nauseum for two centuries.

2. Phil47uk

Phil47uk Senior Member

This about sums it up with a few words of wisdom from a proud Jewish grandmother...I loved this T.V. ad when it first came out as it sort of reminded me of me...:laugh2:

Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
  3. BlankinLoud

BlankinLoud Senior Member

It means there's a 16" deep new layer of snow on the ground.

4. artis_xe

artis_xe Christopher

A.men to that !

I got very irate one time , when an instructor over my shoulder mentioned " . . now what Mucha would do . . . "
    to which I replied " Do I look like an Alphonse to you ? " . she loved me she did :laugh2:

5. Phil47uk

Phil47uk Senior Member

Bloody hell.I don't envy you that..:eek2:
    We had our share exactly this time last week.
    Today you wouldn't have known it had snowed. It's all melted and this afternoon when I came home Sylvia was sitting in the garden with a cup of tea and the dogs were sunning themselves on the lawn.
    Hope the spring pays you a visit soon Blanks.

6. Mindfrigg

Mindfrigg Senior Member

As if she would know anyway. :laugh2:

We had a high school art teacher that I, and all the boys for that matter...had a big crush on. But her area of expertise was pottery and knew little else. I'm sure
    I made her life miserable.

At one point when I'd had enough art history during a slide show I noticed that from a certain perspective...from the light cast from the overhead projector.. you could see through her skirt.:facepalm:

I situated myself there (of course) and made sincere and heartfelt comments like "awesome!" and "now that's art!".

I admit..at that time I was..to quote my dad...a "24 karat jackass". :slap::laugh2:

7. Mindfrigg

Mindfrigg Senior Member

You guys have gotten socked twice in the last week haven't you?

8. Mindfrigg

Mindfrigg Senior Member

From the paper here it sounded like you had an apocalyptic event. Many small towns cut off from the snowfall.
    I guess that would have been much farther north?

9. artis_xe

artis_xe Christopher

there was supposed to be 18" here yesterday . we got maybe 2" . second false alert in a week

79standard, sliding tom, ehb and 3 others like this.
  10. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Senior Member

Sure. Sensitivity is a big part of what distinguishes a good teacher from a, well, teacher. And I won't say that Mr Burkle, or Jerry Pernell, were great teachers. Nor was I a great student; I was marginal too.

I suspect this attitude of yours, and your commitment to painting in front of your class every day, likely made a big impression.

I trust you had a pulse. :)

11. Thumpalumpacus

It's funny how I went from wanting to be Ace Frehley to studying classical and jazz guitar.

I guess I figured out that even with a guitar I still wasn't pulling the birds, so I might as well make good music (or so I hope!)

12. Mindfrigg

Mindfrigg Senior Member

I was simply trying to do the opposite of what I hated about my teachers.

I was marginal when my teachers were marginal. And exceptional when my teachers were exceptional. Like a lot of kids. And as I suspect you were. I finally got tired of being " housed" until I could be foisted off on some college or "get a job".

13. Mindfrigg

Mindfrigg Senior Member

It was pretty bad elsewhere though wasn't it?

14. BlankinLoud

BlankinLoud Senior Member

The last one only hammered the coast....missed me by about a mile and a half.

15. Thumpalumpacus

I was marginal in class, sure. But outside that I wasn't happy with thangs. I grabbed every resource I could to learn what I wanted to learn, and in school learnt what they wanted to teach.

As a result, I can head-bang with the best of 'em, all the while knowing the key-signature. Still trying to figure out how to market that particular talent.

It seemed like when I was starting all the cards were stacked against me -- the parents did not approve, the teachers didn't teach what I wanted, the goddamned guitar was acoustic and the strings were half-an-inch off the frets at 12th. If I'd had an 8-gig laptop, perhaps I'd have chosen loops and such as well?

Not taking a shot at your experimentalism, either, Friggsley; I respect it when it's coming from a place of vision, which is my sense of your music. It ain't my own sound, but perhaps that's a matter of happenstance?

16. Thumpalumpacus

On the other hand, taking drama as a senior in high school, I had a teacher who was very into the history of drama, from the Greeks to the Globe, and those were good lessons. Didn't teach me about acting, but those lessons did feed my brain.

17. Phil47uk

Phil47uk Senior Member

Still trying to catch up from last week's weather bomb.
    I do have an old Victorian carriage clock above the fire place that I set to ten minutes to eight thirty years ago..Why ten minutes to eight I don't know but the mainspring wasn't working and it still reads ten minutes to eight now.. I sleep easy as I know that twice a day it's correct.

18. Phil47uk

Phil47uk Senior Member

Hi Geo..Sorry about delay in getting to reply as I've had to go back about six pages to catch up after our polar vortex saga..
    I still am a few pages behind with re news but take it you are gramps once again by now..If so congratulations to you and all your family..:cheers:

Going back to the climate change thing what do you make of the 'Hockey stick' graph where many arguments seem to stem from?

19. Phil47uk

Phil47uk Senior Member

Dear old Aunty Lazy seems to have gone AWOL again after her last visit..

Earth calling Aunty Lazy...Come in please..

I was really looking forward to seeng some of your new pics since your last holiday.
    Did you get hit hard with the snow this year living up there in Connecticut?

' Orf with his head I tell you'

photostudio_1520602012814.jpg

20. Phil47uk

Phil47uk Senior Member

'Mein Gott im himmel , Art has bought yet anozer guitar..
    I don't like zis news vun bit.
    Extravagant Yanks'..

Tom1_zpsemcrqndi.jpg