The Mad Hatter's Tea Party

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by Phil47uk, May 9, 2012.

1. Phil47uk

Phil47uk Senior Member

PIL.???..:shock:
    I must admit I had.to look that one up.

Public image.limited ??

Not that Johnny.Rotten.surely...:eek2:

I would.have thought that other than blues he would have been more a foxtrot and lancers fan..:laugh2:

2. Mindfrigg

Mindfrigg Senior Member

I think that's the key thing. I had no interest in those instruments. It's difficult to learn about something you'r enot interested in. Which is one of the things that makes teaching such a challenge.

Sure..kids can learn enough about something to regurgitate it for a test. But we all know that a few years or even months later that stuff is easily forgotten. So what was the point of it except to jump hurdles?

3. sliding tom

sliding tom Senior Member

Reminds me.....:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

79standard, cmh6122, Phil47uk and 3 others like this.
  4. sliding tom

Main problem with most school curriculums - learn stuff to pass a test and then fuggedaboutit 'cause you'll never ever need it again...:lol:

79standard, cmh6122, Phil47uk and 3 others like this.
  5. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Senior Member

Yep. My first two years of guitar lessons, in a public school, I was learning dreck like "Aura Lee", stuff I hated. But I persisted because I knew what sounds I did want to make, and set about learning them on my own, after school.

79standard, cmh6122, Phil47uk and 4 others like this.
  6. BlankinLoud

BlankinLoud Senior Member

The local news has 610 active closings listed. :headbanger::rofl::rofl::rofl::headbanger:

79standard, cmh6122, Phil47uk and 4 others like this.
  7. sliding tom

:hmm:

79standard, cmh6122, Phil47uk and 2 others like this.
  8. ehb

ehb Chief Discombobulator Gold Supporter Premium Member

Dude, we are ALL flawed....I'm talking stained glass windows kind of pieces all glued together into one piece....just waiting for a rock to come sailing at it...

Looks like one big sheet of glass with artwork painted on it.......except that it is not...

It's constructed of a shitload of broken shards of glass, put back together in an orderly fashion such as to be a work of art....

Just like us, bud.....

Anybody that thinks they have no flaws is one bat shit crazy individual... No big deal. Nobody really likes their crazy ass anyway...

9. Thumpalumpacus

Of course, my friend. This is the wisdom that comes with age. We are a collection of everything we've done and experienced, including our mistakes.

Pity I took so long growing up!

10. Mindfrigg

Mindfrigg Senior Member

That's just it...you persisted despite a weak approach to teaching rather than flourishing because of it. In that case it's more of an instance of winnowing out those who aren't very motivated or are insecure enough to just believe it's beyond them. That's not teaching. That's a culling process. Why should we pay for that? Kids can get discouraged on their own.

I had ONE good art instructor in my 12 years of regular schooling and ONE good music instructor. The rest mainly impeded my progress while simply making demands of me. Which is a kind of crucible I guess..but it's not necessarily what I'd call teaching.

11. Mindfrigg

Mindfrigg Senior Member

It's just that some of us are more flawed than others.

You know who you are. :cool:

12. Thumpalumpacus

Sure, I was looking at it from my own, non-pedagogical background. It was frustrating to me, for an hour a day, but truth be told, I learnt a lot from those classes. Mr Burkle, in 9th grade, insisted that I actually fingerpick his arpeggio exercises and songs, even though I could fake them flatpicking or hybrid-picking. As a result of his obdurance, finger-picking is now part of my arsenal, and I'm grateful.

There's nothing wrong with tuning lessons to the creative goals of the student, but I think there's also something good that comes from stretching one's boundaries, and let's face it, I was a lazy little prick who never would have bothered had it not been for him.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
  13. Mindfrigg

Mindfrigg Senior Member

I've seen plenty of kids impeded by mediocrity. A lame teacher can set you back.

Mediocre teachers can impart a level of skill to even an average student. But marginal students are often ill-served. And more advanced ones can just be put off by the frustration.

I agree there are fundamentals that kids try to squirm out of that must be taught in a non spectacular way sometimes. But from my personal observations there are a lot of people out there who got a teaching certificate simply because they had a pulse.:laugh2:

14. Phil47uk

Phil47uk Senior Member

Ah, regurgitated knowledge..Don't start me on that one Frank...The education system is chock full of it...
    As I say to the kids.."I don't give a crap whether you know what Beethoven's aunty had for breakfast on the 3rd of July 1793....Just get up in that bloody stage and perform..Come on, I'll get up there with you"...:laugh2:

Yeah, I think it's very important for a kid to have a role model and something they can aspire to. Mine as you know was Duane Eddy and I have a lot to thank him for with regard my being attracted to the guitar in the first place and sticking to practising it.

15. Phil47uk

Phil47uk Senior Member

:lol:'......Ouch!

:laugh2:

16. Phil47uk

Phil47uk Senior Member

:lol:....:applause:

17. Phil47uk

Phil47uk Senior Member

Us Europeans haven't a clue as to what that means Blanks but we gave you a like anyway..:laugh2:

18. Phil47uk

Phil47uk Senior Member

I'm still trying to get there..:laugh2:

19. artis_xe

artis_xe Christopher

I had quite a few teachers __ that I'm not even sure about the pulse thing . . .

20. Phil47uk

Phil47uk Senior Member

My school had no interest in raucous electric guitars whatsoever and I think in the whole school there were only three kids that had a guitar.
    One of the reasons for sticking at it was also that I was basically sh*t at about every subject the school thought made a good pupil like football , rugby, cricket etc, so I thought " right you f*ckers I'll show you, at least I've found something you pricks can't do".
    Both Roy Baker and I were oddballs in school and he had about a miserable time of it as I did. Our interests though made us best of friends and he would often spend more time round my house than he did his own.