The Mad Hatter's Tea Party

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by Phil47uk, May 9, 2012.

1. cmh6122

cmh6122 Senior Member

Absolutely agree Tom. Most of us listened to records with friends, and talked about it. Very little magic left for kids. Sensory overload starting way to young, and ever more sophisticated ways to draw interest to the consumer culture at ever younger ages.

You too Thumps. I think heroes are fast becoming an archaic concept. Not just to guitar players. The inability of some to accept the fact none are perfect leaves little room for heroes, and if you add the self-righteous hypocrisy that seems the order of these days you narrow the pool down to the Marvel universe. Societies without heroes become desperate places.

79standard, ehb, Fardwark and 4 others like this.
  2. artis_xe

artis_xe Christopher

sounds like a line from a Batman movie
    and wasn't it Tina Turner that declared " we don't need another hero " anyway ? blame her

79standard, ehb, Fardwark and 4 others like this.
  3. Mindfrigg

Mindfrigg Senior Member

Simply common sense business acumen.

You chase away your future guitarists then whine about the death of the guitar..?..not rocket science.

Phil has taught hundreds or thousands of young guitarists. I'm sure without a lot of finger wagging or slurs on their generation. I've taught thousands of youth the visual arts. If you want to insure the survival of your artform you recruit...not bash your future audience.

If they use the guitar they're going to use it their way. Best to acknowledge that and get on with it. The guitar culture hereabouts is shooting itself in the foot.

"Better get out of the way if you can't lend a hand for the times they are a changin'."

Said the man.

79standard, artis_xe, ehb and 4 others like this.
  4. Mindfrigg

Mindfrigg Senior Member

I wuz a'joshin you boy. :laugh2:

79standard, artis_xe, ehb and 3 others like this.
  5. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Senior Member

Making my peace with the concept of "all giants have feet of clay" has allowed me to work towards being my best even as I know exactly how deeply I'm flawed.

6. Mindfrigg

Mindfrigg Senior Member

Sorry Tom. Forgot to mention you too have furthered interest in the art of the guitar by teaching! :jam:

7. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Senior Member

Pretty sure she was singing about a sandwich shop, kid.

8. Mindfrigg

Mindfrigg Senior Member

Even the antihero needs some quality of decency or intellect. Something. We've reached the point where moral bankruptcy and a lack of skill of any kind is to be lauded. Where do you go from there?

9. Phil47uk

Phil47uk Senior Member

Still not really caught up yet so will have to over the weekend , therefore apologies to anyone I haven't replied to yet from last week..

Of course the electric guitar is still popular as one can witness in guitar stores but where my concern lies as Tom says is that interest in them with the younger generation has slumped dramatically. I'm talking guitars say like Strat or Les Paul lookalikes here although it still remains healthy in the acoustic dept.
    So unless something drastically changes within the music biz you are really only going to notice this decline deepen as the fourteen year old's of today become the twenty, thirty and forty year old's of tomorrow. And what will they be playing to their kid's?
    And as Tom said, they listen to all that ( for want of better word..crap! ) through tiny speakers in their phones where there is virtually no bass or separation to be experienced as we did through speakers.
    Earphones are better but still aren't always ideal.
    There are still some great song writers out there but sifting amongst the garbage to find them ain't always easy.
    It's also noticeable that many of the old studios are shutting up shop simply because anyone can have their own recording studios in the basement these days.
    Nothing wrong with that either except a whole generation of experienced sound engineers are going the way of the dodo too.
    Just because you can play good guitar doesn't mean to say you can get a great sound recording and mixing down tracks.
    My old friend Roy Thomas Baker for instance was a crap musician but there is no way I could get a great sound in a studio without someone like him at the helm who had his own set of skills and experience.

Yep, unfortunately many of the old time skills are getting rather thin on the ground..
    Jesus! I have actually been paid to give seminars on improvisation within contemporary music to actual music teachers and most of them didn't have a f*cking clue and these are people teaching in schools so what bloody chance have the kids got?...:laugh2:

Something will change..It always does. I don't believe in things going round full circle..( Musically it never has ) but something entirely new will come along that's for sure and the electric guitar will morph into something new and exciting.

As Tim said The Mugenast experience may soon send electric guitar sales through the roof..:dude:

I also worry where guys like Roy are going to cut their teeth . I remember when he started off as a tea boy and tape loader in Decca studios in London. Yep..He certainly did the apprenticeship..:laugh2:

And the finished thing put together by Roy..
    Many songs are only as good as what goes on in the studio and what sometimes starts off as a rough sketch when you walk in often doesn't bear any resemblance to the final product.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
    79standard, Gooner, artis_xe and 5 others like this.
  10. sliding tom

sliding tom Senior Member

No worries! :thumb:

11. Mindfrigg

Mindfrigg Senior Member

I feel that using the guitar as a controller has been poo pooed by the community too much. I've been using the guitar for synthesis since the late '70s...and trying to even before that. And getting guff the entire time. :laugh2:

Kids are embracing technology. They're drowning in it. In order to master it...to fight it...they must become active participants rather than simply consumers. It's that important. Which has been the thrust of my instruction for decades.

The tube/modeling argument is silly and distracting in my opinion. As was the guitar/synthesis argument. I've been an odd bird in the genre for decades now. I feel the community has been waaay too conservative in it's idealogy and approach.

I saw it happen in the world of classical music in my own time. Tradition choking out experimentation and innovation. And so the interest in classical music waned.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it. :naughty:

12. sliding tom

There's the culprit - the Friggsleys of the world are to blame! :naughty:

:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

13. Phil47uk

Phil47uk Senior Member

Nothing wrong with synth's and technology as they are all.part of musical styles and musical.instruments evolving.
    My problem with it all is like as you said Frank many of these kids have been totally consumed by technology rather than utilising it to enhance their ideas.
    All I can say is that I just hope that in 50 years time when there is power cut there is actually some bugger out there who can pick up an instrument, play it and entertain people...:laugh2:

79standard, artis_xe, ehb and 5 others like this.
  14. Fardwark

Fardwark Horrible Porridge Gobbler

I can hear the Hounslow Hooligan spinning in his grave...

"Oh no you dozzy twat! Not Queen. Bet that c*** Sid starts taking about the Stranglers next!" :rofl:

15. Phil47uk

Phil47uk Senior Member

:lol:
    Indeed Tom but at least Frank's saving grace is that he learned to play the harmonica...:laugh2:

16. sliding tom

:lol: :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2:

17. Phil47uk

Phil47uk Senior Member

:lol:..:laugh2:

So what music did Ted like then Sid other than blues?
    I know he went through a middle eastern Azan fad a few years back...:shock:

piles5_zpsdm4ismgb.jpg

18. Mindfrigg

Mindfrigg Senior Member

Actually I never had much luck with the harmonica. Nor the flutophone for that matter...which is commonly used here to introduce kids to musical instruments and to assess whether a child might have some kind of natural accumen for it.

My dad had reed and brass instruments around and I could barely get a squawk out of them. His instrument was the saxophone although he could make noise with just about any instrument. My brother's was the oboe although he played piano and organ very well. Strings and keyboards I had no problem with. If it took air of any kind...fuggetaboudit. :laugh2:

79standard, artis_xe, ehb and 5 others like this.
  19. Fardwark

Fardwark Horrible Porridge Gobbler

Hehe. He would always surprise me by liking things like PIL. But a bit of Hooligan baiting of a night was good fun. :laugh2:

79standard, Gooner, artis_xe and 4 others like this.
  20. Phil47uk

Phil47uk Senior Member

Why people are drawn to certain instruments is an interesting topic in itself.