The Mad Hatter's Tea Party

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by Phil47uk, May 9, 2012.

1. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Senior Member

... and I'm not jealous ...

BlankinLoud, sliding tom, ehb and 5 others like this.
  2. Fardwark

Fardwark Horrible Porridge Gobbler

Happy new year folks. Just got back last night. Nice time away in the countryside.

Read about the moon landing VR experience Phil. Sounds amazing & just my cup of tea.

3. Phil47uk

Phil47uk Senior Member

Glad you had a great time Sid, I know how you Jocks enjoy your Hogmanay...:laugh2: And a happy New Year to you too.

I don't think there are any VR games with racing cars yet, although I could be wrong but you'd be in your element as it puts you right in the cockpit as if you are in the real thing.. You'd be hooked..:laugh2:

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
    79standard, sliding tom, ehb and 5 others like this.
  4. Phil47uk

Phil47uk Senior Member

Bloody predictive text on these phones.
    I often have to go back to a post and correct stupid errors where it often puts the word out instead of in, full stops where you don't want them etc..

Just for a laugh I'll type in the above without correcting anything...:laugh2:

Bloody predictive text on these phones.
    I often have to go back to a post and correct stupid workers where it often puts the roots or induct of in, full spots where you don't want them etc.

Blimey what a mess...:facepalm:

:laugh2:

79standard, sliding tom, ehb and 5 others like this.
  5. cmh6122

cmh6122 Senior Member

Is double digit temp this am. Hoorah.

Feel like hell, and have called in. Put my pjs back on and headed back to bed.
    Hoorah PHIL; the powers that be think that their magic devices can replace folk like us.
    Not gonna happen anytime soon.
    Hope Ma smiles on us all. Will catch up when I get back out of bed.
    Winter is coming.

6. Phil47uk

Phil47uk Senior Member

Blimey Charlie, hope you feel better soon..Wrap up warm and plenty of liquids.
    Chill out and f*ck the rest of the world..:laugh2:

I use Swype on the keyboard so maybe that's one of the reasons it sometimes goes arse upwards..:laugh2:
    Then to complicate matters even more it sometimes puts in an American spelling, although to be fair it usually shows both.

7. jlu52

jlu52 ignoramus maximus emeritus Premium Member

Good Wednesday, pals! Glad you had a good time, Mr. Sid. Hope you feel better, Charlie. Take all the rest you need.
    Temperatures have gotten balmy here, 17 degrees Fahrenheit as I type this. Course we have a Nor'Easter starting overnight, then back to good ol' thirteen below post blizzard. Amy and I are safe and prepared for the storm, but my son in law will be working throughout, plowing, salting and sanding. He is a very good young man, and has taken good care of my girl, Amy! I'm proud to have such a fine son in law.
    A most splendid day wished for all.:cheers2:

Hey Phil, I just had to edit this because of dreaded predictive text. On the money, my good man. :)

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
    79standard, artis_xe, Gooner and 6 others like this.
  8. Phil47uk

Phil47uk Senior Member

Great to know Amy is in good hands with your son in law John..
    A bit like Lauren when they go off on one of their magical mystery holidays. Pete is a police driver ,6'2" , very diplomatic but can put someone down in a lock in a blink of an eye if necessary. I always know she's safe with him there.
    At this moment he is cooking her supper.

It's been windy with gale force winds here over night but still no hard frost or a glimpse of snow as yet. Let's just hope it stays that way..:laugh2:

79standard, artis_xe, cmh6122 and 5 others like this.
  9. sliding tom

sliding tom Senior Member

Evening folkses! :wave:

Hi Schid - glad you had a great time! Any pics? :naughty: :laugh2:

Charlie - hope you'll get better soon! :thumb:

10. Phil47uk

Phil47uk Senior Member

Vere haff you been?
    Ve know the real Tommo should have checked in at least fifteen hours ago so you may be an imposter impersonating ' Der Schlide Meister'.

Papers please....

79standard, artis_xe, cmh6122 and 4 others like this.
  11. Fardwark

Hi Tom, only took some landscape shots...All the snow vanished the day before.

Got this at half past 3 on new years day. A full moon sneaking over the treeline.

[​IMG]

A little earlier & a rainbow was marking the spot fer the pot of gold.

[​IMG]

79standard, artis_xe, JohnnyN and 5 others like this.
  12. Fardwark

Be surprised Phil. Loads of VR driving stuff out, in fact the game on my PS4 does that if yi hive the googles which are another £350. Driving games are really well suited to VR. First no need to worry about walking around as yer always sitting & racing wheels are very common input devices you get dirt cheap so it's quite an immersive feel I'm told..

The game I did the car skins for look like this on VR. Pretty damn good looking.

Not be buying it anytime soon though, to bloody dear.

79standard, artis_xe, cmh6122 and 4 others like this.
  13. Phil47uk

Phil47uk Senior Member

Well there ya go Sid, just shows how much I know about what's going on in the gaming world...:laugh2:
    Yes I suppose it would be ideal for racing games because as you said you don't have to walk anywhere.
    You've just got to have one Sid, no doubt about it now. They'll be no stopping you on that racetrack...:dude:

79standard, artis_xe, cmh6122 and 3 others like this.
  14. Fardwark

Aye tell me about it. When I use the race wheel I can get at least a good second or 2 a lap than with a controller which in racing terms is substantial, 10ths of seconds are usually hard to come by but with VR you can visualise the corners better thus attack them better. If they came down to the 200 mark I might think about it.

79standard, artis_xe, ehb and 4 others like this.
  15. jlu52

jlu52 ignoramus maximus emeritus Premium Member

Was fun watching it. :thumb:We've come such a long way in my lifetime. Freaking television was brand new when I was born. Little did I know that Star Trek was real when I first saw it. One thing great about those days, tubes were in everything and plentiful.

79standard, artis_xe, ehb and 6 others like this.
  16. Fardwark

My first memories of TV were about 69/70-ish. Black & white with a tiny screen & a huge casing that actually warmed the place up with them roasting hot tubes. :laugh2:

17. Phil47uk

Phil47uk Senior Member

Now all you need is a VR headset and a proper steering wheel and pedals setup to really get the feel.

Some years ago I was really into flight sims and even met up with a team on line for WWII dogfights.
    Buggered if I could get the hang of it with a control pad so I tried an actual joystick.
    Jesus! What a difference that made. In fact on one occasion some guy got quite pissed off as I shot him down nearly every time simply because when we passed head to head he would keep his plane in a tight turn whereas I'd slam on the power in a shallow dive, pull hard into a loop and flick over into a half roll on the top of the loop for an Immelmann turn.
    The result of that manoeuvre over his was that I could reverse direction faster than he could and it also gave me a height and energy management advantage.
    Buggered if I could perform that properly with a control pad but with a proper joystick it was a doddle and improved my flying skills no end.

The novelty eventually wore off and since we got rid of the tower computer and 17" screen quite some years ago and got a laptop I've never had flight sim since.

I've got the latest Call Of Duty for the X Box and occasionally play on line with my son, a couple of his friends, Pete and his dad but I'm fairly crap at it because half these teams one plays against on line study all the maps etc whereas I haven't a bloody clue where I am half the time and prefer a sniper rifle from 300 yards whilst holed up behind some window in a derelict house rather than all that charging about like a blue arsed fly...:laugh2:

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
    artis_xe, ehb, jlu52 and 3 others like this.
  18. Thumpalumpacus

Regarding flight sim controllers, a stick is the only way to go for me ... especially a stick with rudder-twist built in. Flying Red Baron II 3D with it, I could purt' near knock anything down. Shot down more than a few shooting almost full-deflection in a skid ... it also made a side-slip a viable combat maneuver in some circumstances.

79standard, artis_xe, ehb and 5 others like this.
  19. BlankinLoud

BlankinLoud Senior Member

I have a Thrustmaster T16000M set up for lefty use.

79standard, artis_xe, JohnnyN and 6 others like this.
  20. Thumpalumpacus

My favorite was a Saitek ST-290. I (for shame!) can't remember the one I have now ... I haven't flightsimmed in a while. Need to change that!