The Mad Hatter's Tea Party

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by Phil47uk, May 9, 2012.

1. Mindfrigg

Mindfrigg Senior Member

My hands are fairly steady but tiny components are hand to grip and my vision ain't what it used to be.

My Roland GR700 is having a problem that is common in that class of synth. Juno etc. the voice chips develops erratic behavior over the years...sustained notes without cutoff...ghost noises...stuff like that. There are services to "rejuvenate" the chips but frankly I don't have the moola.
    Some interwebz digging found some wild-hair fixes, which I guess as it turns out is what the services eventually ended up offering.
    Apparently Roland coated the chips (which were hybrid) with a coating of some kind,either as insulation/protection or to hide their design. I'm supposing that after some decades they cause them to overheat since it's fine for about a minute after switching on but starts to warble etc. thereafter.

The genius fix somebody stumbled upon...I guess through sheer hacking logic, was to remove the chips, bathe them in naptha overnight...then chip off the coating. Replace...calibrate...works fine thereafter.

Been a long time since I did much delicate soldering..much less de-soldering. So it ain't happenin any time soon.

artis_xe, xeizo, Fardwark and 3 others like this.

2. ehb

ehb Chief Discombobulator Premium Member

I ran across some boards that had a section covered with epoxy type stuff....

I wasn't gonna waste time trying to get that crap off...

Nawt. Not gonna fix it... I would imagine when a black blob board was sent back to the manu, they just tossed it and put in another...

The manu is not going to pay a tech by the hour to get that crap off....

artis_xe, xeizo, Fardwark and 3 others like this.

3. Mindfrigg

Mindfrigg Senior Member

SynthSpa will do it for around 150 bucks. Other services are around 200. It'll work fine after. If I want to sell it I pretty much have to fix it or get screwed on the resale. I have the PG200 programmer with knobs for every parameter like an analog. Just that alone goes for 400+ on Ebay as they're fairly rare.

So at some point I have to do it or let it sit and possibly malfunction further in some way.

artis_xe, xeizo, Fardwark and 2 others like this.

4. sliding tom

sliding tom Senior Member

Good Morning folkses! :wave:

Pissing down for a change...

Mindfrigg, Phil47uk, artis_xe and 3 others like this.

5. artis_xe

artis_xe Christopher

g mornings / afternoons . I forget . do we have a guitar designated for Thursdays ? :hmm:

going to the Farmer's Market shortly , and then I have a lunch meeting that will determine my work schedule for the next several months . hoping that everything goes well . . .

and that Everyone here , has a Rock and Roll Thursday

ehb, Fardwark, sliding tom and 4 others like this.

6. Phil47uk

Phil47uk Senior Member

:lol:
    Nah, you don't have to scare most of them away Ebers, they'll generally leave of their own accord, usually to seek greener pastures to set up their soap box in the hope they can gain more adulation trying to bully someone else when they find it doesn't work here..:laugh2:

Last edited: Oct 5, 2017
    ehb, Fardwark, sliding tom and 2 others like this.

7. cmh6122

cmh6122 Senior Member

G'day all.

Gray and really muggy here. Hasn't reached 70 yet but already feels oppressive. Tomorrow the WFs say it'll be off and on showers till Saturday am.

Have got my picture taken for our new id cards when KU takes us over, and provided the necessary proof to homeland security that I am entitled to be employed here. Who would have thought I would live to see the days where so many ordinary aspects of life in this country require 'your papers please'.

Good luck with the work download Christopher. Being a horse for a living makes me really appreciate what long WORK hours require physically whether you are at the end of a shovel or a workstation overcoming a hitch in a project.

The tube translator says this is a Ukrainian folk song.

Hope Ma smiles on us all.

ehb, Fardwark, sliding tom and 4 others like this.

8. Phil47uk

Phil47uk Senior Member

Or maybe simply that you're just weird Frank..
    Keep it that way...
    All part of your endearing charm....:cheers:

ehb, cmh6122, Fardwark and 3 others like this.

9. Phil47uk

Phil47uk Senior Member

Great stuff Charlie, very atmospheric..:applause:
    Yep, there's some great music to be found in Eastern Europe. The further south you go the more middle eastern influence and the further east a more Asian influence.

ehb, Fardwark, sliding tom and 2 others like this.

10. Phil47uk

Phil47uk Senior Member

Another day at an academy today so will have to catch up later.
    At this academy this morning they handed me a form to fill in...A ten minute on line course on how to spot radicalisation...:eek2:
    I said to the principal " what on earth is this?"
    He laughed and said it was a new government initiative to protect pupils and spot radicalisation, so if any kid happens to tell you they are off to join ISIS you can file in a report to the office..:facepalm:
    I said "Brilliant only twenty years late as usual"... He just shook his head and laughed.

:laugh2:

ehb, cmh6122, Fardwark and 3 others like this.

11. Mindfrigg

Mindfrigg Senior Member

And with the current exchange rate I end up owing money. :facepalm:

ehb, cmh6122, Fardwark and 2 others like this.

12. Mindfrigg

Mindfrigg Senior Member

Yes...a characteristic often cited on my teacher evaluations. :shock: :laugh2:

Often people who aren't at least a little weird are..um....dull. :naughty:

ehb, cmh6122, BlankinLoud and 4 others like this.

13. Phil47uk

Phil47uk Senior Member

Dead right Frank.
    One thing I've noticed over the years posting on guitar forums and meeting people in the flesh is that in many cases the real person bears little resemblance to their on line persona.
    Whilst often trying to come across as the slightly off the wall muso in their posts in reality they are about as straight and conservative as they come.
    Very few are who they appear to be and I can honestly say that two of the few people I have met in the flesh who are much the same as they are here are Tom and Paul.
    Oh yeah, meet the person behind the computer screen facade and it often opens up a whole new can of worms .

14. sliding tom

Yes - it's 335 Thursday! :thumb:

[​IMG]

:cheers:

15. artis_xe

artis_xe Christopher

had an interesting lunch

the project is to create walk-throughs ( in 3D ) for the real estate company involved , to show to prospective developers . from past experience , I know that by bidding 10% lower on some of these things , I have a pretty good shot at the project __ when budgets are limited

but I decided for the time involved , I wanted out . I should have considered this more , before I made my offer
    so __ instead of send the smartest guy to discuss this with me , they sent the prettiest . I guess that's they're version of the " Alpha " ( ? ) .

met the guy for lunch . I let him know that I was confident in the person that I out-bid , and I would be able to offer some assistance in the project , but I needed out . his first offer was for more money . I told him it wasn't about the money __ so he followed up with me paying the 10% to the company , so they could remain within the initial budget

I really wanted to call him a dumbass :laugh2:
    where was he going to get the money to increase my pay ???
    I just gave him a 10 second stare , when he admitted that the company had already contacted the other bidder , and was only waiting to close on the agreement following our meeting

2 things came from this . I am now down to a 30 hour work week :applause:
    and I realized that this plastic haired douchebug was trying to steal from me . I told Laura after the meeting what had happened

and her opinion was that the other guy was already locked in . . and Mr. Smiles was just trying to get something out of the deal

when it comes to money . people can be really messed up

Fardwark, ehb, cmh6122 and 4 others like this.

16. Phil47uk

Phil47uk Senior Member

Oh...P.S to my above post about people being who they are in the flesh in here I must not forget dear old Sid..
    Yep...I think Tom will agree that Sid is Sid wherever he is....:laugh2:
    There are others too of course but they are not in this thread or even in this forum in some cases so it would be a bit pointless naming them as nobody would know them anyway.

Having said that though one guy who comes on this forum occasionally and who I have had the privilege to meet on several occasions is 'Liam'.
    I think Tom will second me on saying what a genuinely nice and helpful guy he is.

Fardwark, ehb, cmh6122 and 3 others like this.

17. artis_xe

artis_xe Christopher

that'll have to work
    not everyone has a theremin . . .

Fardwark, ehb, cmh6122 and 3 others like this.

18. Mindfrigg

Mindfrigg Senior Member

I have a VST Theremin. Does that count?

Fun fact..Theremin initially designed his device as a motion-sensor security device. Pretty cool tidbit of electronica trivia.

Fardwark, ehb, artis_xe and 3 others like this.

19. sliding tom

Oh yeah - Schid is Schid - he is just Schid! :thumb:

And Liam is the nicest guy you'll ever want to meet! :)

Only Frigg, I'd guess....:laugh2:

Fardwark, Mindfrigg, ehb and 3 others like this.

20. sliding tom

Beat me to it! :rofl:

Fardwark, Mindfrigg, ehb and 3 others like this.