The Mad Hatter's Tea Party

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by Phil47uk, May 9, 2012.

1. Phil47uk

Phil47uk Senior Member

Blimey..:shock: Haven't heard that in a few decades...:laugh2:

artis_xe, ehb, Mindfrigg and 5 others like this.
  2. sliding tom

sliding tom Senior Member

Well....even remembering it is no mean feat! :laugh2:

artis_xe, ehb, Mindfrigg and 5 others like this.
  3. Fardwark

Fardwark Horrible Porridge Gobbler Premium Member

Haven't seen that film since I was a wee thing I think.

I'll heed yer advice & be on the look out. :laugh2:

artis_xe, sliding tom, ehb and 5 others like this.
  4. Fardwark

Fardwark Horrible Porridge Gobbler Premium Member

...or the occasions I've posted it here.

(The memory's slipping. Shhhhhush, don't wake him up. He can be a right handful.)

artis_xe, sliding tom, ehb and 5 others like this.
  5. 79standard

79standard Senior Member

WOW, cool! the guitar equivalent of "more human than human"?

Reminds me of my never-realized idea about micing a small amp, running that impedance-corrected signal into the input of another small amp, etc etc until I have many such amps in a chain, each stage concentrating that midrange band that guitar amps specialize in, creating a gearhead version of Lucier's "I Am Sitting In A Room."

6. Phil47uk

Phil47uk Senior Member

I'll have you know my good fellow I remember it as if it was yesterday...
    Who did you say you were again?..:shock:

:laugh2:

7. Phil47uk

Phil47uk Senior Member

I beg your pardon!.:eek2:
    ...Steady on Sir this is a family forum .

8. Mindfrigg

Mindfrigg Senior Member

:laugh2: Well...just so happens that's my current fave virtual signal chain.
    Been running my guitar through a Zoom bass pedal ( Thanks Schid!) using it's various preamp and comp/limiter models..then it's various bass amp models using them as an overdrive with their various characteristic tones, into another guitar modeling amp (Vox Valvestate) and those amps.
    Turns out the bass amp, being more geared towards clean headroom or warm tubey overdrive, make for very good preamp types going into the more midrangey/trebly dirty guitar overdrives.

Like say, a Galien Kruger into a Marshall Plexi or Soldano. Pretty damn cool. A very complex gain staging setup that is super versatile. Maybe a little too versatile!

When I tried it previously my tendency was to get my dirt from the bass amp first, trying to get guitar amp type distortion....which was overkill and yielded mush. So I kind of abandoned it. Then a few weeks ago I kind of reigned in my stages and got a very satisfying Van Halen-ish brown sound. My understanding was that Van
    Halen initially drove a Marshall with another Marshall that was output-padded and reduced with a Variac. So basically the same idea but much more variable. And with models it's easy as I simply use the line output of one modeler into the guitar input of another.

And with iPad modelers like Bias I can swap in cabs and mics of different types. Or with "Bias Efx" put two or more amps right in the signal chain in series or parallel.
    Theoretically unlimited tonez! :eek2: :naughty:

Just gotta remember, like all gain staging...start low with your values then boost each a little at a time...keeping in mind do you want preamp-ey dirt...or power stagey grunt.:hmm:

But I think my main point was...BASS amps seem especially good for that somehow. Mixed with guitar amps. Seems like guitar amps are too geared toward the same characteristics or frequency range bumps or notches...so in series not optimum. Parallel...sure. The Stevie Ray Vaughn effect.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2017
    Phil47uk, artis_xe, Fardwark and 5 others like this.
  9. Mindfrigg

Mindfrigg Senior Member

Seems Hippie is taking a crash course in speed reading and catching up.:laugh2:

Hope he doesn't suffer a flame-out from vapor lock. :run:

When Thump tried that one time he suffered from the Hippie-Hippie Shakes. :eek2:

Like The Bends...but in the brain. :hippie: :confused:

Phil47uk, artis_xe, Fardwark and 4 others like this.
  10. Mindfrigg

Mindfrigg Senior Member

Inches.

11. onehippie

onehippie Senior Member

Howdy Cousin how do
    You aware i and i
    like to speed read
    did mentioned it
    at some point i
    Weird

12. ehb

ehb Chief Discombobulator Premium Member

Yodies all...

Best hopes for it to work out for you, Charlie!

Tim, just go play the gig. Do what you do and have as much fun as you can and not get arrested.... Is an invitational like an open mic? Good luck!

Arti, hope all works out to your advantage... 60 hr work week gets rough as we get older... I've burnt the candle over the years from both ends, in the middle, and anywhere else that tweren't on fire.... Not easy long term... Sometimes you just gotta do what you gotta do...

Freggsley you nasty.... Naaaaasty.....

:cool:

Phil47uk, artis_xe, Fardwark and 5 others like this.
  13. ehb

Changed minibuckers out from my Goldie... I just couldn't bond with the new style Gib minis at the bridge...
    The field is a bit odd to me at the high E string. Neck was nice....

Anyway, I did surgery on Goldie at the shop today and swapped out the minis....

How I got pissed off today:
    - Gib uses a nut and a plastic washer to hold the pickup and rings together when you adjust height. Bastids soldered the nut and threads just below the nut. Rat bastids. Never get all that solder off the threads to reuse the machine screws.
    - Replacement pups came with wood screws to screw into body instead of standard machine screws. Damnit. Couldn't use the Gib plate as it is threaded. Rat bastids.
    - Gib drills out below the threaded hole in the plate so there ain't no freaking wood to screw into... Rat Bastids.

Soooooo, I went to our builds scraps shelf and found a nice scrap of wood from our current build rw back. Traced out the plates on the rw scrap, got a wood clamp and small saws, and fabricated identical plates out of rosewood. Drilled the holes for the plate mount screws. The height screws being wood screws, self tap...

Worked like a champ! I'm probably the only blithering idiot with rw Lester minis mounting plates on the planet... One day I'll get the correct machine screws and put the steel plates back in but the rosewood plates hold fine... Fun fabricating those plates...

Happy with the new pickups... I haven't had time to balance out the strings perfectly yet with the pole screws but that's next... The newer Gib minis, being smooth cover, does not lend to any adjustment of string balance which was the issue with the high E at bridge....

Another thing I did was reverse both pickups in the rings so the pole screws are toward center between instead of outer toward neck and toward bridge... Logical to me in the bridge screws are AWAY from bridge (less tinny when raised) and away from neck (brighter when raised)... Call me weird... I likes it...

Now with the mini pickups with pole screws it LOOKS like a Deluxe now...i.e. Normal....

Sounds killer too....

Fun afternoon putting it all back together after soldering and heat shrinking the split coil joins, and the connections... I have zero desire to split coils on a mini equipped Lester. Minis are already spanky as hell...

Worked perfectly the first time... A good day!

Fun times... I'm easily entertained... Partner said 'damn, you fabbed those plates out of rosewood? Never seen that before.' I simply said 'Me neither, but I ain't waiting on machine screws to be delivered to play this thing.'

Adapt and overcome.... :cool:

Just thought I would share my afternoon with y'all in case anyone was bored enough to read... I admit I talked ugly, loudly and rapidly, for a bit when I pulled the screws out of the new pickup boxes and saw they were NOT machine screws... Oh well. Win. Small win, but a win...

edro.

14. Mindfrigg

Mindfrigg Senior Member

Nawt

Last edited: Oct 5, 2017
  15. ehb

He'd scare everybody away.... :cool:

16. ehb

Is too.

17. Mindfrigg

Mindfrigg Senior Member

Git 'er done! :thumb:
    It's great when it goes smooth. Had a couple of mods I've gotten bogged down in this year. If you lose momentum they're gonna sit for a while.

How good are you at unsoldering components from a circuit board? :shock: :laugh2:

18. cmh6122

cmh6122 Senior Member

G'day all.

I am revelling in the triumph of successfully splicing in a chunk of brake line. The best part is that the only blood shed was a stab wound administered by a staple in the packaging of the tube flaring tool. Still have to bleed the system for peak efficacy, but they are at least traffic worthy.

Thank for the suggestion Christopher. Have alway enjoyed looking at paintings, and it is kind of cool to see other works that seem to come from a similar sensibility to mine.

Crap thought I posted that before dinner.

Hope all had a good one. Sounds like Ed and I at least accomplished something!

19. Mindfrigg

Mindfrigg Senior Member

I heard that! :laugh2:

May sound weird but I seem to find that when the moon is waxing things I'm working on go smoothly most of the time. Waning moon...seems better for organizing, planning, cleaning, organizing...that sort of thing.

Experienced it first with fishing and horticultural/farming/gardening type stuff. Farmers Almanac comes in handy.

Maybe it's biorhythms...maybe it's psychological...maybe it's coincidence. :hmm:

20. ehb

Now you're trying to make me cuss.... Some are easy, some not so much. Done a tone of ICs...Not hard, just time consuming and must be done correctly to keep from burning traces, the board, or other components...

Done it a gillion times back when I did musical equipment servicing in my younger days (I could see far better, hands didn't shake like a ice cream shop malt machine)..... Trained folks to do it for several years....

I use to keep IC sockets from hell in my tool case too.... Depending on what the IC was, I'd pop a socket in there... I always operated from the angle that if I was having to address a blown component/chip, chances are better than average I, or somebody else, will have to revisit the same issue. A socket makes it quick to swap out op amps and such...somebody somewhere has thanked me several times I know... Always kept notes too... I could see a trend in a particular model/type of gear over time.. When I looked at another one, I already had an idea of what puked....

So much stuff today is throw away..... Damn shame.... A lot of stuff used to be designed so it could be worked on relatively easy.... Not so much anymore....

Kinda like tablets.... Folks come in the shop all the time with broken screens on tablets.... We have to explain to them that it would cost more to fix it than replace it...even IF we could find a replacement screen/digitizer....