The Kemper - is it the ultimate cure for GAS?

Discussion in 'Amp Modeling' started by SaltFox, Feb 25, 2018.

1. SaltFox

SaltFox Member

This video from NotScott’s thread is Incredible.

Those tones!

Andertons has a lot of good content but they always feature Rob Chappers who while is a great guitar player, always seems to play the same style riffs with high gain. You never get a good feel for the tone like this ?Finn? does

NotScott likes this.
  2. StingyCH

StingyCH The Bearded guy from Heidi land..

I'm using my KPA with headphones almost every night at home. In order to hear it at his best with the space feat, you need (first) the right ones, with the right impedance etc. My 2cts: check something from Beyer Dynamic, for example the DT880 Pro, they are perfect for this application and they won't cost you a kidney :)

Clickety Click

I use AKG and they're good too, but a friend of mine have this model and I find them better, so I will buy them in the next future too :D

Last edited: Feb 28, 2018
    frankv likes this.
  3. StingyCH

StingyCH The Bearded guy from Heidi land..

One of my fav bands (beside Tiamat, Tool, Anathema etc etc etc etc...). Always knew that Greg (Mackintosh, lead guitar) it's a KPA user..and here it is, in all its glory, featured on their clip..3:10 on.. :D

Man I love my Kemper...:love: (and my Helix too :D )

matthew bear likes this.
  4. SaltFox

SaltFox Member

Question for existing Kemper users - how good are the built in factory rigs? I don’t have a room of vintage amps to model myself and I’d like to avoid (at least in the beginning) hunting for good profiles online.

5. mgenet

mgenet Cheese Burger = Earth Silver Supporter Premium Member

Answer to the question is, "No."

Thanks for asking Mr. Know-it-all, and you're :welcome:.

6. alstev

alstev Senior Member

The Rig exchange is really easy to use. There's like 11,000 profiles on there. You can search specific amps, or reorder the list by user ratings, it's pretty easy to find a tone you like.

matthew bear and SaltFox like this.
  7. matthew bear

matthew bear Senior Member

mbritt's free profiles are really good, I haven't paid for anything yet and i have plenty of good tones...

NotScott and SaltFox like this.
  8. NotScott

NotScott Silver Supporter

I do have a room full of vintage amps and I have found enough great free profiles that I still have not felt motivated to profile any of my amps yet nor buy any professional profiles. Search Rig Manager and sort by Crowd Rating. When you see an amp that may interest you, download it and try it.

When searching like this, my advice is as follows:

1) Try the rigs with effects off. I am not sure what this recent fascination is with burying amp tones in effects but like tube amps, you really can't tell what you have if you're running a rack full of effects into any amp. Once you find the raw amp tone you like and have it dialed in, then add the effects back in one at a time to see what they really do for you.
    2) There are some neat tools in Kemper that allow you to tweak profiles to better suit your desires. If you find yourself really having to jack these controls around, you probably need to pick a different profile. I have had good luck finding profiles with more gain than I need that sound perfect just by backing the gain down.
    3) Keep your eyes open on Kemper's forums. You will find some guys posting free rigs from time to time that are quite good.
    4) Trying rigs in a Kemper is supposed to be fun, not work. Keep it that way and you will always find something you can use.

9. cybermgk

cybermgk Singin' the body lectric Premium Member V.I.P. Member

DING

10. SaltFox

SaltFox Member

It’s happening. I ordered a Kemper toaster today from Sweetwater. They will let me return it and cover the shipping cost within 30 days if I don’t like it. Should have it for the weekend.... let’s f’n go!!

11. NotScott

You won't be returning it. ;)

frankv and fleahead like this.
  12. fleahead

fleahead Senior Member

One trick a friend of mine said was that to a make a bank of consistent patches across the clean/distorted/FX spectrum, use the same cab in each. The difference in cabs can completely change what the sound man has to work with.

NotScott likes this.
  13. NotScott

First thing to do after you take care of registering and updating software and firmware is go here:

https://www.kemper-amps.com/forum/index.php/Thread/16259-M-Britt-Kemper-Profiles/?pageNo=119

And scroll down to the 4th post. At the end of Michael Britt's post, he has a profile you can download called:

3P BF TIM ED KING - 2018-01-07 08-18-25.kipr.zip

Try that out and if you don't think the Kemper is all that afterwards, I want to buy whatever you think is better sounding than the Kemper.

fleahead and SaltFox like this.
  14. SaltFox

SaltFox Member

Bookmarked - thank you

15. matthew bear

matthew bear Senior Member

Have fun man! there are some really great profiles out there :)

16. xMax_X

xMax_X Junior Member

For me it was not really the cure for GAS since I still buy many amps to profile them and get different kind of tones ;)

By the way, you can get many free profiles on my website if you use the kemper amp! :
    http://www.goldlionaudio.com/

17. SaltFox

SaltFox Member

So I had a couple of hours this weekend to sit down and use the Kemper. Some of the tones in the built in rigs are simply incredible. The first ones I tried were the AC ones made by Kemper and the sound was truly special. I’ve never heard a modeling amp create that kind of warmth. There’s always this digital footprint with modeling but on those profiles it’s non existent.

I was using those and the built in Rockerverb profiles mostly (also profiles by Kemper themselves.) really nice sounding all around.

There’s a lot to learn as far as using the knobs to navigate effects and stomps but with time its actually fairly intuitive. My only complaint is the sheer volume of preset stomps and effects. That’s a bit overwhelming. Once I figured out how to browse by “type” it became easier to dial in a nice subtle chorus etc.

The rig exchange is cool. I like how you can simply double click a profile and it’s automatically loaded up for you to try out.

I think my only question is how best to keep things organized on the unit itself. Does anyone have any tips on how to keep stomps, effects, rigs from getting to messy? I still need to give the “deeper view” manual a read so I’m
    Sure ill find something

18. frankv

frankv What Are You Waiting For? Double Platinum Supporter V.I.P. Member

^^^^ Thanks for your report. More and more guys are realizing there is a better way to amplify a guitar.. In fact, a MUCH better way.

SaltFox and bulletproof like this.
  19. SaltFox

SaltFox Member

I am 99% sure I won’t be returning this thing when my 30 day trial is over. Man this is such an incredible piece of equipment.

High quality modeling (Kemper or otherwise I’m sure) makes you appreciate the art of guitar playing. I’m having such a blast discovering all these amps I never knew much about.

For example I recently learned a guitarist I dig used an ADA-Mp1 preamp on several early recordings in his band. Sure enough some guy has uploaded about a dozen high quality profiles with different settings to the rig exchange. Granted it’s not considered a super high end amp but I was having fun experimenting with it.

I can’t emphasis enough how cool it is to read about some amp and be able to double click something and have the accurate sounds available immediately. That to me is the magic of modeling. You have this crazy backdoor access into amplifier history.

Anyway just wanted to share my good experience.

frankv likes this.
  20. KenG

KenG Senior Member

Glad you're liking it. The Kemper has an advantage in that it really has little to no learning curve compared to the AXE and Helix. So for those not technically inclined it's more like running a standard amp once the profile has been loaded if I understand it correctly. I've recently (last few months) being following Jason Sadites, a fellow canuck and great guitarist. His Helix user videos have been very informative but do show that to get the best of the other modellers theres some effort required to understand how they work and how to use them as they offer component level modelling not amp profiles so you can great great tones but also have the power to create crap too. Some of his vidz are based around requests from users who send him profiles and request his help fixing them. It's amazing to see and hear the before and after sounds and realize just how many folks aren't up on tweaking. A studio like approach yields better results it seems. Another reason some will favor the Kemper approach.