The joy of getting under the hood

Discussion in 'The Squawk Box' started by LPV, Sep 19, 2017.

1. LPV

LPV Senior Member

The arduino code won't run on pi but the math to get the results is basically the same so you could rewrite the i/o code in python. Or just get a $3 nano from China and for that matter, pick up a $4 16x20 LCD and make a stand alone meter :)

2. Frogfur

Frogfur Senior Member

I know how to make them do what I need but never mess around in there. They can kill you if you dont know what your doing.

Splattle101 and LPV like this.
  3. LPV

LPV Senior Member

You absolutely need to know how to safely discharge filter caps, true. And also understand that having the chassis powered up out of cab is very dangerous. However there are many enjoyable activities in life that require an understanding of the dangers involved.
    Safety is a habit. It's a reflex for me to discharge the caps and check residual with my ohmmeter before playing around in there.

Frogfur likes this.
  4. KenG

KenG Senior Member

Playing around can be harmfull to your amp unless you understand what the circuit changes will do. Sure there are cathode bypass caps and tone control caps you can play relatively safely provided you watch polarization ( if applicable) and DCWV ratings.
    A safer approach is to get schematics that show the design revisions that have been made over the years, depending on what revision of the amp you have you can either reverse some design changes to have an older revision, or alternately apply some later updates to bring your amp up to date.

5. KenG

KenG Senior Member

IIRC You had an Atomic Amplifire (the 3 button version). It's a nice little unit for sure, basically a Studio Devil Modelling engine in a box (a product I've used myself). Hardly a top of the line unit however and doesn't offer any more power than other similar products (SGear, Amplitude, gGuitar Rig etc). There are Fractal owners who can change the tube types in their models as well mess with a lot of circujt values. The fun of soldering? No! The fun of simply modifying an amp to see the effects? Yes. Safe too and very fast to do and revert.
    My point simply being that you're experience into the coolaid was limited and you didn't get to see all that is possible by a long shot.

6. LPV

LPV Senior Member

You'll note that I've mentioned several times that I "dipped my toes" into modelling. No I didn't drop a crap load of money on what is essentially a computer, you're right there but there is no way I would. No where did I go on an all out bashing of modelling or of the ability to get in there and tweak "parameters" if thats what you're into. But it did nothing for me. Play what inspires you, no one cares.

KenG likes this.
  7. LPV

LPV Senior Member

Every change is thought out and researched. If you don't understand basic electronics you can do damage, but I don't believe I advocated someone who doesn't know what they are doing opening up their amp? I do know what I am doing and am very comfortable in there.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2017
    KenG likes this.