The joy of getting under the hood

Discussion in 'The Squawk Box' started by LPV, Sep 19, 2017.

1. LPV

LPV Senior Member

Another experience that I was deprived of whilst drinking the koolaid of modeling was being able to open up an old amp, look at all those cool components that are tangeble (meaning I can see and touch them) get out my soldering gun and swap a cap here, change a resistor there and listen to what the effect on the tone was. I've got a box of stuff on the way and I can't wait to dig in this weekend replacing old tube sockets , some ceramic caps to replace the SM's. Vary it by a few Pf here and there just to see the results. I've gotten so I can pull the chassis, discharge the caps, do some mods and be playing it again in 15 minutes. Its a very rewarding experience and I was unaware just how much I missed it.

2. Marshall & Moonshine

Marshall & Moonshine Senior Member

PSA: Kids, don't just open up a tube amp and start touching components. You'll end up on YouTube.

;)

3. bulletproof

bulletproof aka tarddoggy Premium Member V.I.P. Member

+1000

4. Marshall & Moonshine

I should clarify that LPV did mention discharging caps.
    I just worry about that getting past someone who might be curious about their amp's guts. :)

The inside of a well-made tube amp is a work of art.

5. LPV

LPV Senior Member

Ya, not endorsing anyone doing anything if they don't understand exactly what they are doing. Just speaking for myself.

6. Marshall & Moonshine

Totally. I have a new soldering station and a bad solder joint on the old 800 (that a guy swapped he electrolytics 6-7yrs ago) that needs to be re-flowed, and I might just change the cap again, since I have a new one.
    I also still have some "temporary wiring terminations" in my amp that I built 5yrs ago.
    I just need to clean out the garage and build a proper bench.
    It's fun, ain't no doubt!
    Much nicer than popping open a computer. :)

7. cherrysunburst00

cherrysunburst00 Senior Member

Ain't nuthin like the real thing

8. LPV

LPV Senior Member

HOLY CRAP!!! CHECK THIS OUT !!! There is a little electronics store at the end of my road. Really tiny mom and pop place. They carry some resistors and caps and the like. So by chance I decided to stop by looking for a few small pf caps to experiment with a couple of ideas. So I tell the lady what I want and she comes out with this tray of NOS caps! I just grabbed a bunch in the ranges that I'm looking for but what a find! This cost me $2.50!
    IMG_6622.JPG

9. Soul Tramp

Soul Tramp Speaker Snob V.I.P. Member MLP Vendor

WOW! Getting very difficult to find the old stuff.

bulletproof likes this.
  10. Marshall & Moonshine

There's something similar in our town. I need to make it over there more.
    Everything has an inch of dust on it.
    I know there's treasure there.

11. sonar

sonar Senior Member

Yes Yes... I'm missing digging into an amp, but all the guitar related time I have is dedicated to playing right now.

I've got my clones tuned up to where I like them, so not much room for improvement on that end.

Hopefully I can think up a project over the holidays. I kind of don't need another guitar amp, and the new Handwired 64' DR is really tempting me, BUT, something would be fun. Maybe a tube power amp for a stereo or something?

I've got an old Ampeg Gemini V that needs the power section rebuilt, but that amp is probably out of my wheelhouse. I'd take it to a tech, but the amp isn't really worth much...

maybe I'll start a rebuild thread in December and y'all can walk me through it?

12. Cjsinla

Cjsinla Premium Member

Buy a DR blackface kit and make your own hand-wired version for about 1/3 the cost of the new Fender one. The only thing stopping me from making one is that they are too much amp for home and not loud enough for the band I was playing in. Oh, yeah, and I have a bunch of other amps I don't even use.

13. Rocco Crocco

Rocco Crocco Senior Member

That's pretty cool. Nothing like that around here since the 90's.

14. LPV

LPV Senior Member

Here's a cool trick I stumbled on for reading the actual capacitance of a cap. Sometimes the little writing is cryptic or smudged on these old ones or you want to know if they work at all and what the real capacitance is. All you need is an arduino (under $10 for a clone) and your computer. The code is here (Its the last example) http://www.circuitbasics.com/how-to-make-an-arduino-capacitance-meter/ You can read the values via the serial monitor. Works great. And on the bread board you can combine them to get to the numbers you actually want.
    IMG_6624.JPG IMG_6623.JPG

AllTheSound and redjunior like this.
  15. sonar

sonar Senior Member

Kind of already done that with a souped-up Princeton Reverb. And a stock spec 5E3. And a Vibro Champ. And a 6G15 Reverb unit.

I've done a couple builds, but still get excited about a new amp. The handwired 64' looks like it's the goods.

16. Cjsinla

Cjsinla Premium Member

It does look good, it's just not a practical amp for me especially at that price point.

17. LPV

LPV Senior Member

IMG_6636.JPG With these sticks we stir the special sauce...

bulletproof likes this.
  18. LPV

LPV Senior Member

Was having an issue after it got really warmed up, noise like a bad ground. Had a suspicion it was the old sockets so brand new mycalex all around and problem solved.
    IMG_6637.JPG

19. sonar

sonar Senior Member

Looking at your guitar list the 64' (assuming it' the goods) would fit in perfectly. It's actually a pretty good price for what it is. Not a great price, but pretty good.

20. sonar

sonar Senior Member

Love it.

I might have to set one up. Do you think it can run on a Raspberry Pi? I have one doing nothing.