The Infernal Machine: going back to the Old Religion

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by mudfinger, Oct 28, 2011.

1. bilbarstow

bilbarstow Premium Member

Thanks for the compliment ! I figure if my guitar looks good, maybe it will help my lousy playing.

I forgot to mention, my favorite part of your above pictures : The No Picks button, attached to the Planet Waves pick pouch on the strap. My favorite kind of humor, laced with subtle irony.

1 person likes this.
  2. mudfinger

mudfinger Thanks for the memories. V.I.P. Member

That's the theory I've been going with for over 20 years now! :thumb:

True story: I walked over to the guitar after reading your post, wondering WTF you were talking about. Holy shit! That IS a pick pouch! :laugh2:

I seem to have a thing for that, unintentional irony...:naughty:

2 people like this.
  3. AleisterCrowley

AleisterCrowley Senior Member

Very cool mudfinger!

I have been lurking in the shadows of your thread for months(?) now.
    You have built yourself one badazz mojocaster!

Do you have plans for a smudging or incantation before playing out with it?

2 people like this.
  4. mudfinger

I haven't been particularly explicit about everything that I've been up to during the build, so as not to freak anyone out too badly. :laugh2:

In fact, there was a great deal of ritual work involved, including smudging, banishing, and invocations, while working on the body and prepping the ingredients that went into the "finish". I did leave several clues in the pics, as I'm sure you already know. ;)

While working on the neck, I took a totally different approach in pursuit of a balanced instrument. I spent as little time thinking about it and handling it as possible, and made sure I was in a bad mood when I did have to interact with it. As much as I dislike working with lacquer, that bit was pretty easy. :mad:

Everything on the pickguard except for the pickup screws and surgical tubing was a gift, so there was nothing to do with that stuff except carefully and calmly put it together and let it be what it already was. :D

As a talisman, it's done. I do plan to make a pilgrimage to the site of the old Fender factory in Fullerton in a few weeks for a bit of ceremony. I have some spare change to get rid of there, as well. :naughty: But, that really has more to do with me than the guitar itself.

Now that it's playable, I can rely on simply using it regularly to keep it charged. But, you already knew all this didn't you? :cool:

4 people like this.
  5. randelli

randelli Senior Member

Is it done??!

send me your address I have something for you :naughty:

1 person likes this.
  6. mudfinger

Pretty much done, ya. A couple of loose ends to call the build a wrap; wiring the output jack to the jackplate, and installing the string tree. But, it's definitely a guitar now, no longer guitar parts being subjected to my madness! :laugh2:

After that, a full setup is in order, which I really need to get hopping on so I can get my new computer ready to record audio. :thumb:

Also, I have some mail for you and Barstow. I'll email you in a bit. Incidentally, as I had hoped, the Rude Mood and Strat make for a wicked rig. :headbanger:

2 people like this.
  7. Quill

Quill Senior Member

I am just freakn' dying to hear that. Can't hardly wait. No pressure, though! Record no guitar before its time! Almost there!

... sooo cool, man. :dude:

ARGH! Your PM box is still full ... check email please!

2 people like this.
  8. mudfinger

Will do, not sure I can clear anything else outta my MLP inbox without losing something I wanna keep, but I'll take another look after checking my email.

And, ya, you're gonna love the sound of this rig; lots of detail and air in the sounds I'm getting, which seems to make the Rude Mood very happy. :D

I think the only thing I need to get some proper recordings is another boom stand and a mic cable. I need to get on that, I want you guys to hear this! :slash:

9. randelli

randelli Senior Member

I dropped some sweat into the chassis while I was building your RUDE MOOD. Normally I would wipe it up; but knowing your take on the natural/spiritual world I left it in.

I considered a little drop of blood...... :)

3 people like this.
  10. st.bede

st.bede V.I.P. Member

This whole thread as been so cool as to leave me speechless. So cool.

3 people like this.
  11. Machine Man

Machine Man Senior Member

Mudfinger -

very nice work!!!

1 person likes this.
  12. randelli

randelli Senior Member

......................and??!!

1 person likes this.
  13. mudfinger

...and....I've been playing the snot out of this guitar. Lemme know if anything interesting happened in the world this past weeek... :laugh2:

Had an issue with Verizon; took some convincing for them to to cotton on to the notion that they might be the cause of the SNAFU with my connection to the Interwebz.

Naturally, this is all happening just in the nick of time to keep me up to speed on studying for my finals...:squint:

3 people like this.
  14. FrankieOliver

FrankieOliver Senior Member

Damn, a strat build by Mudfinger and I'd missed it all these months. I'm losing it. I'll get back and start reading this in earnest tomorrow. Thanks. :)

1 person likes this.
  15. 79standard

79standard Senior Member

That summarizes my views on my Les Paul... I adore the thing, but I am not in control when I play it: it dictates to me how it wants to be played. My "faux-35" and my weird pawnshop prizes are the same way. I can get something good out of any guitar, but if it's a situation where I need to be precise and in control, only a strat will work for me... one of MY strats, not one of these 7"-radius jobs that makes me feel like I don't know how to play. :laugh2:

1 person likes this.
  16. 79standard

79standard Senior Member

I've had similar issues with them. Sorry you had that those vexations. Verizon sucks so hard that jetliners are forbidden from flying over their headquarters because the immense suction creates a flight hazard. (Ya see, I was gonna say they suck dead bunnies through a Flavor Straw, but I didn't wanna be all rude and stuff. :wave:)

1 person likes this.
  17. 79standard

79standard Senior Member

"Accordingly, something totally irrational and unscientific is necessary to keep the balance of the guitar in equilibrium. :shock::laugh2:"

WORDS TO LIVE BY!

1 person likes this.
  18. 22Frets

22Frets Senior Member

"Duh, dude, you forgot the rest of the guitar, Man!''

Sorry, just couldn't resist! One of those days at the lab, ya know? :D:D

1 person likes this.
  19. mudfinger

Well, it's kinda true. I really hadn't settled on where I was gonna get the body at that point. :laugh2:

I've been busy as hell. I mean stupid busy; the Verizon BS really set me back. Then I got sick enough to actually be worried about my longetivity. Finals coming up in a couple days. :Ohno:

I still haven't done any setup work on the guitar. Strings aren't quite right, hasn't been intonated, ground still not connected. Still a blast to play as is, and that's about all I've had time for, is a minimum amount of playing. Slowly driving me even further into the depths of madness, I'm sure. :naughty:

I did make time to take a few pics of something that arrived by mail recently:

[​IMG]

Inside:

[​IMG]

That's alotta connectors! :shock::dude: I already know the sonic results and the practical advantages, so I'll be putting the 2 pronged units to good use on my LP when I have the scratch to get on with that guitar again...someday, ha. :laugh2:

Take a look at these beauties:

[​IMG]

I wasn't even gonna use a traditional tone control; Ginger didn't have one, and I didn't miss it. But these things are so beautiful that I'm completely fascinated by them; I've always just not bothered with tone controls in general, and have certainly never messed with such nicely made capacitors. Can't wait to hear 'em, these things will add a whole new element of fun to the process of exploring my new fiddle.

Here's the quick-disconnect I'll be using for the Strat:

[​IMG]

It's well-made, comes together snugly, and is set up so even a knucklehead such as myself cant put it together the wrong way. I have zero reservations about using these things to route the guitar signal from the pickguard assembly to the output jack cable; perfect solution. :D

Mostly tho, I'm just really really grateful to Quill for setting me up with all this neat stuff. Stuff that I needed to make this guitar just right, and stuff that I'll have a blast experimenting with. I predict a very fun summer for me. Thanks. :thumb:

2 people like this.
  20. randelli

randelli Senior Member

Good to see you back my friend!

1 person likes this.