the hunt for the ultimate "chirp"

Discussion in 'Tonefreaks' started by dmoss74, Jun 8, 2017.

1. dmoss74

dmoss74 Senior Member

sure, this has the potential to be a nightmare thread, but wth, i'll start it anyway. :)
    well, we all know strats have their "quacks", while lps and teles have their "chirps". i know i'm probably in a small minority when i say it, but i really, REALLY value the sound of both pickups engaged.

i have kept pickups that i was otherwise unimpressed with on their own, to retain the sound of their chirp. and i have sold pickups that sounded very nice solo, but had no luster in that position.

so i took my three lp guitars in the last week, and did a little magnet swapping, to see if any one combination had it in spades, compared to others. granted, this is totally anecdotal, and my definition of sublime chirp could be vastly different than yours.

generally speaking, this is what my non-scientific research concluded.

the best matching of magnets seems to be both pickups having some form of an a5 magnet, whether they be uoa5, short 5 or regular. all three guitars (and all the pickups that i have in them) panned that out.

the worst pairing were two a4 magnets. not one of the guitars had my tonal idea of chirp with that combo.

an acceptable pairing was an a2 in the bridge, with an a3 in the neck, but again, with an a5 in neck, it was even better. one guitar (and one set of pickups) had a decent chirp with both magnets being a2s.

like i said, this was just for shits and giggles, but was serious enough an endeavor for me to undertake, as i truly love me some chirp. :)

feel free to chime in with your own discoveries.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2017
    bulletproof and matthew bear like this.
  2. ARandall

ARandall Senior Member

Want chirp, get p90's.

jwinger, bulletproof and matthew bear like this.
  3. drew365

drew365 Senior Member

Did you make recordings of each version for comparisons?

bulletproof likes this.
  4. dmoss74

dmoss74 Senior Member

i did with the latest batch. i'll post a link later. the ones i wasn't interested in i didn't.

bulletproof likes this.
  5. dmoss74

dmoss74 Senior Member

well yeah, or any of my teles. great chirp is possible in a 2xhb arrangement. bb king didn't play p90s. at least i don't think he did. and jimmy page's mid '70s pickup config had a very nice chirp.

bulletproof likes this.
  6. matthew bear

matthew bear Senior Member

I pass my sg classic off as a fender a lot, And I love the middle too mang!

Chirp all day, rock all night :cool:

bulletproof likes this.
  7. ARandall

ARandall Senior Member

True, but you get effortless chirp with p90's. And of course the Tele without the dark circuit posi is great too.

I just think of the intro to Octopus' Garden as the ideal for chirp.

8. dmoss74

dmoss74 Senior Member

this is 3 lps, with three different makers pickups in them. i'm not disclosing what model lp or pickups,as i've swapped magnets in a couple that the folks who made them might chop my head off for doing so. :)

one is an a2 bridge/a3 neck combo. one is dueling a5s, and one is dueling short a5s.

https://app.box.com/s/9luyckw4t3d3tm6qdv5ahyhuk6cbn31w

amp settings were the same for all, as was the dirt pedal (way huge green rhino mkII).

garybaldy and drew365 like this.
  9. afranke

afranke Senior Member

best paf middle position,,,,doyle coils.
    the best ive tried period.

10. freefrog

freefrog Senior Member

A5 tends to give the least inductance and to enhance resonant peaks. In my own experience, it makes two HB's together a bit more thin / trebly / peaky, with more apparent comb filtering: according to the height settings chosen, the dip around 1.5khz can be made slightly deeper, the peak around 2khz a tad higher.

So, I'm not surprised by your findings.

Regarding BB King, I've also found his tone easier to emulate with two A5 mags... but my most successful attempts involved a Varitone (with the 100n or 33n cap feeding a big fat inductor in parallel with the pickups). "The Thrill [was there]".

FWIW (= my two cents).

dmoss74 likes this.
  11. drew365

drew365 Senior Member

The third set sounded the best to me.

12. alnico59

alnico59 Premium Member

One of the reasons why I switched to PAF's w/A5 in both positions.

13. dmoss74

dmoss74 Senior Member

8 to 5, that track was done on his rosewood telecaster. but i have no way of verifying that. regardless, i have no recollection of George ever playing a les paul.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2017
  14. ARandall

ARandall Senior Member

Yep, I have no trouble conceiving this as a middle tele tone.

15. LtKojak

LtKojak Senior Member

The "chirp" is dependent on the p'ups' setup, meaning how high are each p'up is from the strings and the relationship with each other in the setup.

And the height is, of course, also dependent on the magnet's grade.

IME, certain mixes of alnico grades will give different colors of "chirp". If we're talking about PAF-type of p'ups, and using a Duncan '59 set as testbed for the experiment, the levels of "chirp" inherently produced by magnets sets, A3neck/UOA5bridge will produce the highest and A2/A2 the lowest.

Also, two identical p'ups in both neck and bridge, will also produce the inherent highest "chirp".

Those are kinda base rules based on my own, actual experience installing, modding and setting-up instruments, a moonlighting activity of over fifteen years.

HTH,

dsmcl77 likes this.
  16. Guitar Rod

Guitar Rod Senior Member

George had a red Les Paul named "Lucy" given to him by Clapton. I think Harrison let Clapton use it on While My Guitar Gently Weeps. He used it during the Let It Be filming and the Revolution video. Famously stolen and George had to buy it back from the guy who bought it from a pawn shop.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017