The guitarist(s) that changed your life and playing?

Discussion in 'Tonefreaks' started by RandyRhoadsLesPaul, Sep 16, 2015.

1. C.J.

C.J. Senior Member

Paul Kossoff, Keith Richards, Otis Rush, Lightnin' Hopkins, Albert King, Eric Clapton, Peter Green, SRV, Jimi, Billy Gibbons, Les Paul (just pure inspiration), Muddy Waters, Howlin Wolf, Kurt Cobain, Tony Iommi, Slash and Izzy Stradlin etc.

2. Bluespower

Bluespower Senior Member

day one Page all the way. Earlier clapton and BB.

then past 20 years it Otis Rush. same Page licks at half speed with way more emotion.

then started getting into Jazz the last 5 years. too many to list but Rittenour is way up there

3. C.J.

C.J. Senior Member

Couldn't agree more with this. :thumb:
    Otis Rush was the real deal. Peter Green and by extension Fleetwood Mac were just re-selling the previously un-sellable to a new whiter audience. Clapton too arguably. Songs like Sweet Little Angel almost sound like Fleetwood Mac covers not vice versa. I love Green but they weren't groundbreaking.. just a tight tribute act!
    People always say the Stones were the ultimate example of 'White Boy Blues' but for me the Stones were actually highly original once they got going.

4. scrumm21

scrumm21 Premium Member

2 many to list
    but my 2 fav guitarists growing up were Johnny Winter and Pete Townsend

5. Horatius

Horatius Junior Member

John Norum
    Ace Frehley

6. DarrellV

DarrellV Almost 1 Year old this month! Premium Member

OK, I know I'm gonna get some raised eyebrows over these but here goes.

I've really never been a mainstream radio listener so I guess it would follow that my influences would be just as obtuse. :)

First one that really got my attention was Alex Lifeson on 'All the World's a Stage'. Got me wanting a Lester and a Ricky!

Charlie Burchill for his emotive, ethereal sound and technique. He could shred some pretty sick stuff when he wanted to as well.

OK, don't laugh, but I really love the sound Paul Reynolds got out of his Roland jazz chorus amp with FOS. I still emulate both his and Alex's live tones to this day.

Peter Buck: Loved his clarity and multi part rhythms! I'll never play them, but I like the SOUND of them!:D

Most recently: Hank Marvin! Love his tone! Very much like Charlie's.

I've learned a LOT from him scale and tone wise. He is slow enough to follow for me, and I've heard it said he can say more with one well placed note than others can do with 20.

7. moreles

moreles Senior Member

Clapton live, US tour w/ Cream: crazy hair, Marshall stacks, The Fool SG, and toying with the edge of control. Hendrix, live, first US tour. Same reasons (except Strat and FuzzFace). Have seen Beck, but not back then. Those 3. Later: Roy Buchanan, also for the same reasons, though in his case sadly alcohol both enabled and debilitated...

8. zoork_1

zoork_1 Senior Member

True, Fleetwood Mac was a tight act, but what/how Peter Green played spring 1970 differs a lot from their "blues purists" period. Listen to e.g. All Over Again recorded in Stockholm (or Vienna), and you'll hear a sensitive real deal guitar slinger breaking new territory.

9. DarrellV

+1 :thumb:

His influence on the British Players we all know and love reads like a who's who of rock guitar!

Yet most in the States have never heard of him.

Me too, until a few years ago thanks to youtube!

It's funny in the way that sometimes the greatest influences get the least acknowledgment.

Page, Blackmore, Gilmour, Knopfler, Beck, and others are quoted as saying he's the reason they picked up a guitar.

10. Midnight Blues

Midnight Blues Premium Member

Frampton too. That's how I found out about Hank Marvin, Django and "The Godfather of Cool", Wes Montgomery. Frampton mentioned him in an interview(s) he did shortly after he went solo after leaving Humble Pie.

11. DarrellV

You know I had a nagging in the back of my brain when I posted this because I KNEW there was another big name back there, and I was surprised I couldn't remember it! :facepalm:

Yes, it was Peter Frampton! Duh!

Thanks MNB!!

12. lunchbox

lunchbox Senior Member

Tim Sult.

He didn't change my life, but he changed my playing style 100%.

13. jestremera

jestremera Senior Member

My Mount Rushmore of guitar players would be:

Yngwie Malmsteen: From the first time I heard him with Steeler back in the 80's, I was hooked. He's still my favorite player to this day.
    Randy Rhoads: No explanation needed
    John Sykes: My favorite tone; great vibrato, phrasing, song-writing
    Guthrie Govan: Versatility; technique; it seems there's nothing he can't play. Also, he's one of the nicest, most humble people you'll ever meet. He was super generous with his time and we even jammed together on the same guitar. It's a moment I'll never forget. I wish I could find the pics

14. LeftyF2003

LeftyF2003 Premium Member

My first big influence was Jeff Beck on Blow By Blow. That record was the foundation for my picking up the guitar. The next big influence was Larry Carlton on his first and second solo albums. I'm still trying to master (or at least get through) several tunes on those albums.

My third big influence was Robben Ford with The Yellow Jackets. His playing on those albums was nothing short of astonishing. The greatest thrill of my playing life was having the opportunity to play with Robben at his Guitar Dojo camp last summer. I was shaking so hard on the first few chords I could barely play!

[​IMG]

15. Midnight Blues

No worries Darrell. I know if got you beat in the age department, so I use that as my crutch whenever I can. In a few more years, you can start using it too. :laugh2:

16. Midnight Blues

:thumb:

After having been laid-off from a local factory, I was working at a record store when his first solo record was released. I have a "Promo" copy of it. I've been a fan since then and a HUGE fan of the Yellowjackets as well. Have seen/met them a tone of times. My favorite Jazz band hands-down. Met Robben a few years ago, but he wouldn't take any pictures. He was just back from a trip to Japan, had just finished the show and I think he was pretty beat? Got his autograph anyway.

I also met Larry Carlton (another one of my favorites!) and I've got a nice picture of him with my wife and I. GREAT/humble guy!

17. LeftyF2003

LeftyF2003 Premium Member

Robben can be funny about doing promo stuff. He's a really nice, humble guy and I think he not comfortable with pictures and signing things.

Paul Newman was the same way. He never gave autographs because he didn't like being treated like a movie star. He was just a humble regular guy. He did break his rule once for a friend from high school who asked him for an autograph when she bumped into him in town shopping. He signed her down winter jacket which she subsequently wore for years without washing it. It ended up getting pretty ratty by graduation! :laugh2:

18. Midnight Blues

:laugh2:

Yeah, he certainly seemed like a nice/humble guy. He stayed after the show for quite a while signing autographs, which of course, he doesn't have to do. I really think he was tired. The show certainly didn't suffer if that was the case, he was fantastic!