The guitarist(s) that changed your life and playing?

Discussion in 'Tonefreaks' started by RandyRhoadsLesPaul, Sep 16, 2015.

1. Ronaldo

Ronaldo Senior Member

Back in 1967 and 68' I heard two songs that literally changed my view of rock.
    Keep in mind that I was just getting over the Beatles craze that actually got me playing an instrument in a band.
    Those two songs were Sunshine of Your Love and Crossroads by Eric Clapton and Cream.
    The common denominator was Eric Claptons guitar playing.
    Although I never aspired to play guitar (then) it was Eric's chops that knocked me out completely back then.
    There were many more during that time in my life (Jimi Hendrix for example)
    but still to this day, I still get a thrill hearing those songs and will never get tired of them.

1 person likes this.
  2. kazaakas

kazaakas Junior Member

Funnily enough the man that got me into Les Pauls is a die-hard thrash metal riffer:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9ScQ7SNeJg#t=140
    He has such an incredibly unique and instantly recognizable style of playing. His super articulate picking has always moved me and when I started playing guitar I had set this as my goal. Now 2 years later, I cannot play a single solo, but I can control my rhythm picking like no one else. Even his work ethic has inspired me. This individualistic man takes his band and his playing incredibly seriously and works very hard to achieve his super tight and consistent rhythm. Now I think of it he really influenced my life.

The man plays pretty much nothing else than high-end Les Pauls. After countless hours at the local music store testing all kinds of gear. I can begin to understand why. It's just something about the combination of the snappy high and and the deep, piano-like lows...

3. Platte City Paul

Platte City Paul Senior Member

Jerry Phillips and and another guy named Daniels. They were both in the Army organization I was in during Desert Storm, and both had stashed guitars among our gear headed from Germany to Saudi Arabia. After the war ended, they broke out their guitars, and I decided right then to buy myself one when we got back to Germany.

As for the pros, the list is long. At the top has to be Jimmy Page. I know a lot of you guys don't like him, but combined with Plant, Jones and Bonham, there was nobody better for me.

4. Quill

Quill Senior Member

Lots of interesting posts ... got me to thinking, too ...

There was a time in the '80s when Pat Metheny's early style kind of got under my skin, and I kinda sounded like a bad imitation of him for a while; he's great but even so, now I can't hear a note he plays, it really upsets me, sometimes for days - no time for feeling like that

Before that, for some reason I just absolutely loved Vivian Campbell ~ now, that is a player I can still hear and he still gets me. When he was big, he was my absolute favourite of all the famous rock players of the day. The guys in Iron Maiden - I really dug their playing, as well, and still appreciate them.

I have always loved Jeff Beck, melodic deconstruction - always makes me want to get better, hearing him

Before all of that, I heard John McLaughlin on a Miles Davis record when I was so young I hardly knew what an electric guitar was, and that was big for me and still is.

Joe Pass has been a constant source of utter amazement for decades - was that man of this earth? I really don't know

But I keep going backwards, and finally for me, it's Django. I've listened without fully listening to Django all my life, and now, in the same moment that I finally realized it doesn't matter what anyone else wants or thinks, and it doesn't matter whether I ever get any good or not, I finally, finally really heard Django and have since dived head-first into Django's playing and his music and that's all that matters anymore.

thanks!

5. LysanderSky

LysanderSky Senior Member

Awesome thread.

My first love was without a doubt Slash.

Then countless others.

Recently I've had a JJ Cale phase, love his style.

At the moment I'm having a finger picking period again, with lots of dropped D tunings -been listening lots of Mississippi John Hurt and a current artist called Steve Gunn. Fantastic player and songwriter, his album 'Way Out Weather' has kind of a trippy Americana road-movie feel.

1 person likes this.
  6. RandyRhoadsLesPaul

RandyRhoadsLesPaul Senior Member

Whoa, came back to this thread and super amazed at the number of responses! I see a lot of awesome guitarists here, and if it weren't for some members here I would have missed a slick guitarist. Keep posting though it's fun to watch and learn!

1 person likes this.
  7. RandyRhoadsLesPaul

Nuno's licks are tough, been trying myself.

8. bucklester

bucklester Senior Member

Drew Abbott played guitar on the Bob seger "Live bullet " album.
    chuck berry
    Bo diddely

9. Al Walker

Al Walker Senior Member

Chuck Berry
    Jimi
    Eric Clapton
    Joe Walsh
    Reverend Billy G.

Edit: Forgot Johnny Winter

10. Mickey_C

Mickey_C Premium Member

With only a small tinge of embarrassment I will admit there is one FAMOUS guitar player that I have seen in concert more times than anyone else (like more than 10 times):

GEORGE BENSON

:wow:

I know, right? It's funny even when I think about it. Every time he'd come to town my mom would buy tickets and I'd go with her. As a punk in the 80s I got lots of looks at the shows. Then at a certain point in my life, I was like, "Wow, George is coming to town, I gotta go see him!" So now I am guilty of dragging my kids out too.

:lol:

One of the guest artists I saw with GB was Whitney Houston, right before her debut album. He always had great guest horn players too, especially John Handy. I don't regret squandering my concert time on George. But it's hard to admit it on guitar forums.

I can't say he influenced me, but I had fun.

3 people like this.
  11. RandyRhoadsLesPaul

Oh yea, I almost forgot, any Reb Beach fans out there or winger ;)

12. joesatch

joesatch Senior Member

[​IMG]
    AND
    [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  13. PRS

PRS Senior Member

Richard Thompson. Mainly because he is the first person I ever saw Hybrid Pick a guitar. Also because I saw him play the Newport Folk Festival in 1991 about a month afetr I first picked up the guitar. So, while I was at the very beginning of my own journey, he showed me everything that was possible.

Next to him, Jimi. Because, well, he is Jimi.

2 people like this.
  14. RandyRhoadsLesPaul

I almost forgot to mention Petrucci, Reinhardt, Pass, BB King, and Buddy Guy ;)

15. B5Erik

B5Erik Senior Member

As a former drummer I've always been interested more in rhythm playing than lead, but I just started listening to early Santana and for the first time I want to learn how to play lead.

16. classicbronco

classicbronco Member

In my younger days, it was Eric Clapton and Jimmy Page.

Entering mid life, I found my biggest influences to be Warren Haynes and Rory Gallagher. I discovered Rory after he had passed away, and one of my great disappointments will be never getting to see him in person.

17. CCK

CCK Senior Member

Freddie King
    Roy Buchanan
    Forrest Richard Betts

18. lakeburst

lakeburst Senior Member

Muddy Waters
    Hendrix
    Gilmour
    Clapton
    Keith Richards
    John Lee Hooker
    Alvin Lee
    Stan Webb
    Miller Anderson
    Kim Simmonds
    Harvey Mandel
    Richie Blackmore
    Angus/Malcolm Young
    Edward Van Halen
    Pat Metheny
    Al Di Meola
    Jeff Beck
    Frank Zappa
    Mark Knopfler
    Stevie Ray Vaughan
    George Benson
    Nile Rodgers
    Andy Summers
    Robert Smith
    The Edge
    Adrian Belew
    FriĆ°rik Karlsson
    Boon Gould
    Alan Holdsworth
    Robert Fripp
    John Sykes
    Steve Vai
    Ry Cooder
    Gossard/McReady
    Kurt Cobain
    ....... and many more (yes I know its a very long list!)

19. sonar

sonar Senior Member

Jimmy Page, Jimi Hendrix, Bob Mould, D. Boone, J. Mascis, Johnny Ramone, Ron Asheton, James Williamson, Dick Dale, Cliff Gallup, Jim Heath and Scotty Moore...

I'm forgetting about a hundred more.

If I had to pick one that changed my life - Jimi Hendrix.

Playing - Jimmy Page or Scotty Moore.

20. lakeburst

lakeburst Senior Member

Jimmy Page