The guitarist(s) that changed your life and playing?

Discussion in 'Tonefreaks' started by RandyRhoadsLesPaul, Sep 16, 2015.

1. rossfr

rossfr Senior Member

Tommy Emmanuel, he let me know Chet Atkins and fingerstyle and playing with a thumbpick.

And above all : playing great tunes with a perfect tempo and clarity

2. WholeLottaIzzy

WholeLottaIzzy Senior Member

Paul Kossoff. He turned my playing on its head. Soulful, bluesy, raw and powerful. Less is more.

Mark Knopfler. Arpeggios, lyrical and tasteful playing.

Both guitarists showed me a way into blues that isn't 12 bar run of the mill.

2 people like this.
  3. 1all's Pub

1all's Pub Senior Member

I don't think I can legitimately say that any guitarist "changed my life"... but there are some that were/are very influential and definitely had an impact on me both as a player and as a fan of guitar music. And the main ones are:
    • Ace Frehley: it all started with the Spaceman! :D He's the reason I wanted to pick up a guitar in the first place (& the reason I wanted a Les Paul). I am keenly aware he is not the most accomplished or complex player, but that really doesn't matter one whit to me, in fact, that his stuff is "attainable" is one of the reasons I like him... ie, I can actually play Ace's stuff! (unlike most of the stuff from the next guy on the list, ha!)
    • Eddie Van Halen: you can't have been a teen in the 80s and be a guitar nut and not have had EVH as an influence. If you can't play the intro to Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love or Panama at the drop of a hat, drop and give me 20! :laugh2: Just don't ask me to play his solos! LOL!
    • Mick Mars: the Crue were a mainstay in my life through (and after) my teens and Mick's reserved, blues inspired playing just always sat well with me. He wasn't flashy, but he was (and is) just a great hard rock guitarist.
    • Billy Gibbons: the man, the myth, the legend (the beard! :D). You gotta love the Reverend BFG. His playful, blues inspired playing just makes me smile. And the tone that comes from his fingers (and, of course, the lovely Miss Pearly Gates) is and should be inspiring to any guitarist, especially a Les Paul player. If you don't dig the Reverend you need to be converted! :D
    • Stevie Ray Vaughan: what can be said... SRV is who really got me into the blues. I'm not a huge Strat guy at all (not as a player or generally the tone that comes from them from those who do play them)... but SRV is the exception... I can't play like him at all... you'd never hear SRV in my playing, but he inspires me. I still remember when I heard he died... it saddened me immensely. One of the All-Time Greats in my book, both technically and stylistically.
    • Gary Moore: probably my favorite all around guitarist. He can (could) do it all. From hard rock (I'm sure he could have done true "metal" if he wanted) to the most soulful blues. From speedy licks to a single devastating note (think: Parisienne Walkways). His loss was another truly sad moment in the world of guitar players... heck in the world of music in general. Such a prolific artist. Never really got his due here in the USA. Another of the All-Time Greats in my book.

There are many others who also influenced me and whose music/playing I love (Jimmy Page, David Gilmour, Randy Rhoads, Tony Iommi Keith Richards, Pete Townshend, Paul Stanley, Tom Scholz, BB King, Albert King, Freddie King, Gary Rossington, Eric Clapton, Brian May, Paul Kossoff, Joe Bonamassa, JD Simo... just to name a few). But these listed above are the main ones.

1 person likes this.
  4. JohanHaellgren

JohanHaellgren Senior Member

Steve Howe - Making me interested
    Albert King - Introducing me to the blues
    Eric Clapton - Tone
    Mike and Sam @ Guitars the Museeum - making me fall in love with the guitar!

5. flats750

flats750 Senior Member

Jimmy Page
    Johnny Winter
    Michael Schenker
    Alex Lifeson
    Johnny Ramone

6. FirstTrain

FirstTrain Senior Member

Buddy Guy - crazy careening style turned me on as a teenager
    Son Seals - For the Fonk and singing
    Freddie King - great tone, phrasing, grit, funk and singing
    Jimmie Vaughan - Tone and style

Main two though are:
    Peter Green - just an awesome blend of power, finesse, tone, economy, melody and speed when necessary - Great sininging
    BB King - The master... Wonderful singer,
    taught Greeny and all the rest of us blues players... all the things I said about Peter... he did first... then of course B got it from T-Bone and Lonnie Johnson.

1 person likes this.
  7. raunch

raunch Senior Member

EVH was the only one that truly changed my life because he was the reason I picked up the guitar. His phrasing more than anything is something I am still chasing and he had ideas for riffs that seemed so wild and different. I still love listening to his playing and it still sounds fresh to me, even 30 years later. Not to mention his tone.

Others have influenced me:
    - Andy Summers: I love the Police and that's why I have an Electric Mistress. Wobbly clouds sounds!

- The Edge: he is the reason why I use a delay and a herdim pick. And an AC30.

- JD Simo: cos he knows how to play a Les Paul the way it should be played.

- GregV: Reason I had to have a Nocaster. I think he was a shredder in the 80's and that's where I come from, too. Juicy tele crunch tones to die for.

- Joe Satriani: He showed me what was possible, even though I can't play like that. Amazing guy as well. Flying in a Blue Dream, amazing album.

- Jimmy Page: nuff said

- David Gilmour: his bends and swirly phaser and univibe stuff.

- Matthew Caws: because it's about the songs.

Too many to mention....

8. saxosim

saxosim Premium Member

Paul Kossoff for me hands down, such an amazing an under rated talent taken far too soon. I was lucky enough to get to hold and briefly play one of his 59 bursts late last year. I was so nervous and in awe I could barely play a dam note lol :)

[​IMG]

6 people like this.
  9. EL-34

EL-34 Senior Member

hendrix, rhoades, satriani and vai (passion and warfare only)

1 person likes this.
  10. Mr.Drye

Mr.Drye Member

Jerry Cantrell- Influenced me in every aspect of guitar. Riffs, Tone, Song structure, Etc.
    Slash- Attitude and improve go a long way.
    Zakk Wylde- Over the top playing and persona.
    James Hetfield- Jackhammer right hand and sings while playing.
    Mark Tremonti- Awesome riffs, leads, and work ethic.

11. Michel347

Michel347 Senior Member

Too many to be listed, but if I had to choose only one I would pick Alex Lifeson.

1 person likes this.
  12. EL-34

EL-34 Senior Member

joey santiago

13. The General

The General Senior Member

Nothing incredibly original.

1. Slash. I love the way it just seems to ooze out of him, rather than be played. I am much more about the feel/emotion rather than just technical work. I appreciate the shredders and their amazing feats, but I like to feel it. He's the #1 person who makes me want to play.

2. Dimebag, for his heavy riffs. Good combination of speed and chunkiness. His riffs are what drew me into Pantera.

3. Keith Urban. Might be an odd choice, but I haven't seen anyone put as much heart into a performance as Keith. Plays super clean, can play a wide variety of styles and techniques, and does it all while singing which always amazes me. Plus he's a total gear junkie. His wife's pretty hot, too.

2 people like this.
  14. homenote

homenote V.I.P. Member

In a hotel room back in '84 (I was 14 years old) Leon Russell Wilkeson (MHRIP) guitarist/bass player for Lynard Skynard, handed me a 1957 GT just after Billy Powell (pianist Lynard Sknard) handed me something else :cool2: :facepalm:, (It was Billy's birthday!) the rest is history..:thumb:

1 person likes this.
  15. Midnight Blues

Midnight Blues Premium Member

How cool is that?! Absolutely AWESOME!

:cheers2:

1 person likes this.
  16. Campbell

Campbell Senior Member

First and foremost, Chuck Berry. No, I’m not that old, but I was fortunate to have a lot of great hand-me-down records growing up from my aunt, uncles and my parents. Thankfully, Chuck was in the mix. From those opening riffs, to his lead breaks, and most importantly, that “runka-chunka, runka-chunka” rhythm he plays. I just knew I had to learn all that stuff.

If you play rock ‘n roll and don’t tip your hat to Mr. Chuck Berry, shame on you, kids!

A few others who have had a strong influence on my playing:
    Albert King
    Buddy Guy
    Eric Clapton
    John Fogerty
    Rory Gallagher
    Peter Green
    Jimi
    SRV
    …oh, this is crazy, I could go on forever!

17. defcrew

defcrew Senior Member

You know, I've read through 5 pages of this and maybe I missed it but nary a mention of Jeff Beck or Keith Richards? Two who were really a huge influence on my playing as well as the Allman Bros, Knopfler, Johnny Winter, Rory Gallagher, Ry Cooder and anyone who plays electric guitar has been influenced by Jimi whether they are cognizant of it or not.

18. lunchbox

lunchbox Senior Member

Lyle Preslar; made me want to learn how to play guitar in the first place.

[​IMG]

19. DesertWolf

DesertWolf Junior Member

Malcolm Young - I'm a rhythm player at heart, he's sort of an inspiration.

Angus Young - Doubt I'd ever have started without the love for his sound - a sound that I, along with about a billion other people, try to emulate.

Vince Gill - My first commercial guitar hero. His solos in "Whenever You Come Around" and "Go Rest High On That Mountain" were among the first that ever made me want to play electric guitar.

Rusty Nails - I had to use the qualifier "commercial" because of this guy - Rusty is not just a good guitar player, and not just my very first guitar hero. He's also my father. Rusty was his moniker in a cowboy band he played with for a time. I think my ability to even learn to play, let alone desire to play, comes from him.

And my roomate, Julian, who's taught me more about guitar in a year than I learned in two.

20. StonedCrow

StonedCrow Senior Member

Hank Marvin, I was introduced to him after Van Halen and Cock Rock, up until The Shadows I didn't know or even think about being subtle and using the tremolo for a shimmering effect, instead of the big dive bombs and pull ups, basically extreme movements and pitch changes extreme movements, Hank Marvin introduced me to subtlety. There is genius in simplicity, and Hank Marvin taught me that with tracks like Apache, Man of Mystery and F.B.I..