The Good Ol' Days

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by Frogfur, Apr 6, 2018.

1. Frogfur

Frogfur Senior Member

Unfortunately, I was already overseas, being in country August of 68.

Attached Files:

CaptainT, Seven, Phil W and 23 others like this.
  2. Olds442

Olds442 Senior Member

i recall those 4 hour baseball games with no water.

nobody cared where you were as long as you were home before dark.

Seven, alnico59, Gtarzan81 and 11 others like this.
  3. Mockbel

Mockbel Senior Member

Damn this post is so touching... I remember when i was 15.. that was in 90s
    90s in Egypt were something like US in 60s .. we have been always told that..

I remember my day in 90s summer at that age was breakfast while watching TV.. only 3 channels too
    Then some computer games till lunch.. after lunch my friends pass by whether for some bicycle riding or a looong soccer game.. then -if we have money- we have dinner together.. then back home for some more TV and family talk then off to bed... so simple and beautiful life

4. artis_xe

artis_xe Christopher

the good old days
    that we now have the technology , to be able to look back on times like that . . .

I can't say that I have many photographs from the 60s and 70s ( and my younger sister is the family keeper of those things anyway ) . it's really cool to be able to go online and say " I remember that ! "

5. Frogfur

Frogfur Senior Member

Its how it use to be. Only mad scientists had, or could operate a computer, every single thing broadcast was on a couple of channels, you would be at the supper table, and you will have homework done.
    Other wise, be home by 0 dark thirty. Every saturday night you were at home was Creature Feature.

One phone, party line and don't be on there too long either! Halloween always produced tons of kids all evening long. Then classic monster movies.

But the biggest difference was, on weekends, you actually went out with buds, the crowd whatever, you'd meet up, hang out and interact. Today's world, if you don't have a fancy phone, wi-fi, a TV thats 50" etc etc people might think you're weird.

I had a car at driving age, but had to take my test in a 56 Cadillac Coupe Deville. And back then, you had to parallel park in order to pass. That pig was no VW to park. It was a monster!
    Drink'n down by the River, dates at drive-ins, i snuck in once in the trunk of a 60 Pontiac..

Fun stuff

Last edited: Apr 6, 2018
  6. S. Rock

S. Rock Senior Member

I watched that video just the other day. the picture of that Burger Chef brings back some good memories. there was one in Natchez, Mississippi that I stopped in very regularly. I didn't need a Big Mac if I had one their burgers. :D

7. dissaffected

dissaffected Senior Member

blast from the past..forgot to mention slot car racing...wearing turtlenecks with sport coats...go go boots...paisley and polka dot shirts..... sex defined by bases...muscle cars...good times but man am I old.

8. BrianB

BrianB Senior Member

Boy the way Steve Miller played
    Songs that made the Hit Parade
    Songs like that they got us laid
    Those were the days....

Scooter2112, JTM45, jkes01 and 4 others like this.
  9. Dun Ringill

Dun Ringill Premium Member

10. Frogfur

Frogfur Senior Member

We had one in Sacramento in our AO.

S. Rock and Dun Ringill like this.
  11. JonCanfield

JonCanfield Platinum Supporter Premium Member

Thanks for this post @Frogfur ! Brings back tons of great memories. In high school then, no real worries and lots of fun times.

12. Dun Ringill

Dun Ringill Premium Member

I was a young lad, but I have fond memories of the Burger Chef in South Haven, MI.

13. kiko

kiko Senior Member

The good ol' days, most of us are lucky to have had them!

14. scrumm21

scrumm21 Silver Supporter

I can hear the old commercials now ... "It's Burger Chef And Jeff ! "

Ellerhorst 1975.jpg
    NA bc ad May 22 1962.jpg

15. SGeoff

SGeoff Premium Member

Not only burgers, but 25 cent burgers, 15 cent fries, a coke was another quarter, and after tax you got a 30 cents back from your dollar. your car, if you had one, was more than likely a gas hog, but who cared, fuel was 29/9 a gallon. simpler times..
    cripes looks like it was even cheaper than I remembered

16. Frogfur

Frogfur Senior Member

When you have a 57 Chevy wagon with a six in it and a three speed on the column it went quite a ways.
    Problem is, i don't know that it ever had a full tank of gas unless your buds pitched in too. Too expensive. More like a quarter tank.
    That old Rochester carb could get vapor locked, and that thing ain't going to start for a bit.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2018
  17. Subterfuge

Subterfuge Senior Member

I remember the telephone party line, tv antenna with 3 channels and playing backyard rink and or road hockey from Dec to April .. the family religiously gathered round the tv Sat nights for Hockey Night in Canada (in black and white) which was the highlight of the week... the NHL was only six teams ......good fun it was

SteveGangi, HeartString and Frogfur like this.
  18. Roxy13

Roxy13 Senior Member

I was born in 68, but being 15 in 83 wasn't much different. My car was still a big gas hog. Gas was about 75 cents a gallon, and we cruised all Friday and Saturday night. Those types of mini bikes were still common. The earliest video games were just coming out, and I only knew one person who had a computer in high school.

mcphaul, HeartString, JTM45 and 2 others like this.
  19. Caretaker

Caretaker Senior Member

Born in 64.
    At that age a was into skate boards, punk, metal, punk and metal girls, etc.

HeartString likes this.
  20. Tone deaf

Tone deaf Senior Member

I got my license when I was 15. Played 3 varsity sports. Had a boat, guns and all sorts of fun stuff. All I needed to do was let my parents know where I was going.

When my two older ones were 15, either my ex or I drove them everywhere, had our noses in their business (as it should be), tracked their phones, etc.

HeartString and Frogfur like this.