The future of digital

Discussion in 'Amp Modeling' started by NeubyWanKaneuby, May 15, 2017.

1. NeubyWanKaneuby

NeubyWanKaneuby Senior Member

Donal likes this.
  2. cybermgk

cybermgk Singin' the body lectric Premium Member V.I.P. Member

The Future is now, literally.

3. Rocco Crocco

Rocco Crocco Senior Member

4. NeubyWanKaneuby

NeubyWanKaneuby Senior Member

I don't know. I think there's a lot more boundaries they could push. You never know what the next few generations of amp sims could be if they freed themselves from the bonds of 40 years of tube dependencies.

I think the sky is the limit.

Steinmetzify and Donal like this.
  5. cybermgk

I actually disagree. The tech he mentioned in that article, creating new sounds, tones beyond replicating tube amp tones, has actually been there for quite awhile. It's been in synthesizer's tech for quite some time. Really no reason you couldn't incorporate that into modelers. But, it's been done before, and really never took off.

Now, the one thing I can see, is modelers adding the ability to manipulate the guitar's signal to make it sound like any guitar. That too, actually is already here, though exclusively done by Line 6.

As I said, I feel the future is here, now.

6. Donal

Donal ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Premium Member

Totally agree. As with every technology there is always a "hockey stick curve" of capabilities, speed, size, etc. and I believe we are still on the flat line.

Not saying what we have today is not good, but there is definatly piles of new developements and improvements to come, even if we cannot imagine what it may be as we think we have everything we need.

Same applied to mobile phones, PCs, etc. etc.

7. Sournote

Sournote Senior Member

I don't know where there is to go from here.

Seriously, what's left when we are at the point where we are "creating new sounds, tones beyond replicating tube amp tones"?

What's next? Guitars that no longer sound like guitars? Do large numbers of guitarists really want one guitar that can sound like any guitar, as well as one box that can sound like any amp? I've heard musicians say they would have never written a particular song with the guitar they normally play, but were inspired by a guitar that caused them to approach the instrument in a different way. I can see that being lost if you had only one guitar, even if it could sound exactly like anything you wanted. The physical part of playing it wouldn't vary.

How about guitars that avoid that pesky learning to play part? The mythical talent booster as it were. I'm OK, with the future being here in terms of modeling equaling traditional amps, and am OK with some "shades of grey" in terms of modeled amps that don't replicate some existing piece of gear, but I certainly hope the future is not the dumb-ing down of guitar playing as has been the case with almost all digital technology.

There is more to music and playing guitar than technology and there will always be a human element (at least I hope so).

frankv and cybermgk like this.
  8. hbucker

hbucker Senior Member

My guess is that it will be less about tones - they're very close now, if not there. Improvements will probably be in functionality, dropout speed (if there is any dropout), size (as processors get smaller) and ease of use. The modelers ten years from now will probably be so intuitive that even the most avid knob-turners (like me) will have a hard time being confused.

frankv and cybermgk like this.
  9. cybermgk

Good points.

Just because a tech can be introduced, doesn't mean it will be adopted. I DO think there is a segment of players that like the one guitar sounds like many, else the Variax would have completely flopped, and we wouldn't see current trend of coil splitting, multi-tone guitars. But, your point is valid, if no one wants to use it, why produce it?

BTW, they have already introduced a 'need no skill to play' guitar. It was akin to a Guitar Hero controller, complete with prompts. It died badly, I believe (thank god).

frankv likes this.
  10. cybermgk

Agree, there is definitely room for compaction, form factor improvements, etc. I also wager wireless connectivity and other items like that as well will be added.

hbucker likes this.
  11. Donal

Oh they exist already, they will also improve and become more popular ;)

[​IMG]

http://line6.com/variax-modeling-guitars/[/QUOTE]

frankv likes this.
  12. Donal

Not that I know where it is going but just imagine things like:

You listen to a song on youtube (or whatever is still around then) and your Helix or whatever sets up all your pedals etc to match the song.

Or you tell your Modeller that you want to Sound like Slash at concert x in 1992 (bet a lot of people will pay for that :laugh2:) but you get the jist.

There are so man things that could come, most of us just cant imagine that we need more, but as I sad above it`s like many other technologies. We only realise we want something when it comes out.

frankv likes this.
  13. dissaffected

dissaffected Senior Member

I wanna sound like me not someone else. I do not want to be a copy. Rant over.

I think there is a lot that can be done with the tech. It still needs some improvements in sound and feel or Fractual update #3.xxx whatever would not be happening time to time. The UIs could use some work...at least I think so. I want the pricing model to change- I do not need a ton of amps/effects/cab sims that I will not ever use.

Just spit balling here.

14. cybermgk

Question is, is there a large enough market for it, at the time.

15. Dick Banks

Dick Banks Senior Member

I have a Roland GC-1 Strat with the divided pickup. I use it mainly for the synth acoustic guitar, which is quite good, especially when recording. I'm asked from time to time in my gig to "play acoustic." So I go for the Roland Strat and Boss GP-10.
    For those that don't know, the GC-1 is a hybrid MIM/USA strat with regular mag pickups (Fender ceramic single coil) and the divided pickup. All pickups can be mixed and matched.
    But i don't ever use the "guitar sounds like something else" features. But some do with some amazing results.

16. hbucker

hbucker Senior Member

Probably a split in the market will become more likely. I look at blutooth and apps for phones being available on some products now. I see a place for that, but not necessarily for someone on stage, or perhaps even in the studio, unless the connectivity can be used with feet instead of hands.

Wireless connectivity to a computer would be a nice standard feature though.

It will be interesting to see where this dimension of these products takes them in the market place.

Donal likes this.
  17. RAG7890

RAG7890 Premium Member

Nope not done exclusively by Line 6.

We did it here in Sydney Australia with a system we developed. :)

I still remember playing through it on the Violin setting. You could dial in many different instruments.

Pretty amazing but not something I'd do on a regular basis.

:cheers2:

18. KenG

KenG Senior Member

From a CPU aspect processor speeds have not increased much in the last few years nor will they with todays conventional electrical signals. The speeds now are at the point (GHz range) where they can't easily be controlled routed through semi-conductors should the frequency increase much more. (ie they act like Radio Freq radiation and go wherever they want instead of following designed pathways like digital signals). The approach has been to add extra processors into a singe package for multi-cpu processing and streamline instruction sets to reduce the number of operations required to execute programs to increase MIPS.
    As for Siri like gimmics and instant copp'ing of setups, well someone has to develop all that stuff, currently everyone's products are proprietary in design and SW so until that changes I don't see it happening because the development effort would be huge and would likely only be undertaken if it could be applied to many products so I wouldn't hold my breath.
    Personally all I want from modelling is a wide range of amps and effects with quality audio and ease of control in a neat package. We have that right now, there will likely be minor improvements over time, hopefully eventually the costs will be reduced but we are a small market compared to SmatPhones, Smart TVs etc and economy of scale isn't in our favor.

Donal, frankv and Sournote like this.
  19. Pwrmac7600

Pwrmac7600 Premium Member

If I judge just by the guitarists here on this forum I would say no.....
    They would want many guitars that could sound like any guitar!:rofl:

Donal likes this.
  20. Liam

Liam V.I.P. Member

Speaking for myself, I want many guitars that sound like themselves. And I'm hopefully not done yet, but might have to thin the herd a bit before getting the next one or two, just from financial considerations. Strangely the modelling technology has really appealed to me, but I'm still plugging relatively low output vintage oriented guitars into it. When the models and IRs are good, the guitars sound like themselves, to the point where an amp that doesn't work well with a real amp does not work with a model of that amp either.

The future is definitely now, but I'm playing through it with the past, a lot of the time to emulate the past more conveniently.

Liam