The Fake Epiphone Thread II

Discussion in 'Epiphone Les Pauls' started by Sinmastah, Jan 26, 2009.

Is this thread useful?

1. Yes

93.7%
  2. No

6.3%
  1. Sinmastah

Sinmastah Epi Verification Expert V.I.P. Member

Alright guys, I remade this thread after some debating. Me Gnr and new newly appointed fake hunter Dj are going to run this thread. If you have an inquiry about a guitar post it here, a senior member or one of us will look at it. If you are a junior member please do not tell peoply why you think the guitar is fake, or if you think it is. Senior members may. Vip members may. Me, GnR, and DJ can override any votes, but that doesn’t mean you have to listen to us. If we say it is fake, and you buy it, don’t come crying to us if it is fake.

Also guys, please I regulated this first post to show all the information that I am willing to give out at the time. If you have any tips at all to tell us why you think the guitar is fake, PM one of the three of us mentioned. Thanks

**THIS THREAD'S INFO APPLIES TO CHINESE MADE EPI'S ONLY**

[​IMG]

This picture has a few things wrong with it. Starting with the logo, on the fake it is tilted too much, an also look where the "h" is placed. On the fake it is almost directly below the middle, and on the real it is more to the right. Moving down, you look at the middle right tuner, and you can see that it is way to close to the edge, on the real it has more room. On the real guitar, the tuner does not overlap the binding at all, but on the fake it clearly does. Perhaps this is because of the oversized washers. Again moving down, looking at the TRC, make sure it is roughly the same size, the far left screw should be just below the 5th string (when in playing position). Also make sure the screws are legit size, they look decent in the fake picture though. Lastly on the headstock, it is very clear on the fake that the headstock is skewed, and not cut correctly. The angle of the picture screws this up a little, but you can still tell it is badly cut. Going more into detail, look at the placement of the "h". On the fake it is directly in the middle, but on the real guitar it is more to the right. Looking at the diamond, you can see that if you draw a line on the top of the two top tuners, the diamond should be a tad below that. On the fake it is not even close. This is shown also or the bottom of the two bottom tuners.

[​IMG]

Now we move to the knobs, which in my oppinion is the easiest way to tell if a guitar is fake. Just do the thing that I did with the lines. If you draw two lines, intersecting the middle of the knobs, not only should they be parallel, but should also be parallel with the neck (Sg's will vary, but will still be parallel). Also look at the bottom of the bridge, if the guitar is in playing position, the knob should be a tab to the left of the bridge (if you are looking at the face of the guitar from across the room). Many fakes seem to be below the bridge.

[​IMG]

We now look at the pick-guard screw. Fakes generally have the screw very close to the edge of the guard, so look for that. On the real one, you can see it is more in the middle. Also look on the bottom of the photo, see how the pick-guard bends down on the real one? The fake one doesn't bend much.

[​IMG]

If you look at the upper set of knobs, and draw a line through them, it should intercept the Pick-Guard screw. This should also help in determining where the Pick-guard screw should go, assuming your knobs are correct.

******WARNING SIGNS******
    Here are a couple things to be cautious of when buying on eBay.
    1. The guitar is stated as coming direct from the Epiphone factory.
    2. The seller states that he does not have the guitar, and just has pictures from the supplier.
    3. Has the Epiphone box in the picture
    4. Generic looking pictures
    5. Claims the guitar project dater garuntees authenticity.

Thanks guys for the support. We are glad to assist MLP by providing this service for anyone.

Remember: **THIS THREAD'S INFO APPLIES TO CHINESE MADE EPI'S ONLY**

*Mod edit*

See the first Fake-Epi-thread here

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/epiphone-les-pauls/12286-fake-epiphone-thread.html

Edit:
    New pics added to compare

[​IMG] real - fake [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2017
  2. dennistruckdriver

dennistruckdriver V.I.P. Member

Thanks, but I'm leaving this up to you guys. I'm a noob when it comes to spotting a fake, unless it is obvious.

(Is it alright to call myself a noob? I don't want to make anyone upset.:naughty:)

kevinpaul likes this.
  3. Sinmastah

I know, but you know who you are when it comes to telling what is fake and what is not. I am sure no one would lead anyone wrongly here...

Hah, looks like 600 of my posts went down the hole because the thread is gone.

kevinpaul likes this.
  4. GNR4EVR

GNR4EVR Epi Verification Expert V.I.P. Member

Perfect start, Sin. Should add the vote again, though. That was actually handy for us to determine what people think about the thread so we can gauge needed changes.

kevinpaul likes this.
  5. b-squared

b-squared Banned

Fixed.

BB

6. Sinmastah

Will do. Going to make it public too this time. PM me if you want me to edit the post to add/delete anything.
    Hah, thanks bro. Thanks for the sticky too.

7. AdrielTimothealovesLps

AdrielTimothealovesLps Senior Member

omg im the only one thats voted...
    i shall learn the ways and tell people what is fake or not!

8. Sinmastah

I won't vote haha. People will trickle in. And spend time here and you will be able to make informed decisions when you decide what is fake and what is not.

9. GNR4EVR

GNR4EVR Epi Verification Expert V.I.P. Member

Thank you, sir!:thumb:

10. AdrielTimothealovesLps

yeah haha i saw the old thread it helped me point out to myself what is fake and what not :hmm:

11. GibsonRocker

GibsonRocker Senior Member

Hehe, I'm gonna go fake hunting now :wow::wow::wow::wow: TO EBAY!!!:naughty:

Dougj and williamartrip like this.
  12. AdrielTimothealovesLps

lol i was on ebay

13. GibsonRocker

GibsonRocker Senior Member

I love seeing the REALLY obvious fakes that don't even look like LP's :D

14. Kølabrennern

Kølabrennern Senior Member

Being one of the few here who owns a mid 90s Korean Epi, I'd just like to add that the knobs on those 90s MIKs don't line up as shown in the photos, they're usually angled "wrong" and a little too far apart from each other. Also, the logo will not be particularly tilted and the pickguard screw is located close to the edge of the guard, as well as lacking thumbwheels on the bridge. And they might have "Gibson" on the truss-rod cover.

Maybe it would be an idea to add that to the first post, Sin?

15. calibud

calibud Senior Member

Hey, what happened to the first 2k posts?

16. vladmaximus

vladmaximus Senior Member

Sinmastah is the secret agent...not me...
    hail sinmastah...
    si fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu...
    teach me...

hi hi hi hiiiiiiiii....

17. River

River Senior Member

My universal translator just blew a fuse.

18. Sinmastah

Yeah I still have to add this only applies to new models.

19. djwilbanks

djwilbanks V.I.P. Member

si fu = master, If I'm not mistaken.

20. River

River Senior Member