The Effect CAB IRs have on the preset

Discussion in 'Amp Modeling' started by frankv, Feb 23, 2017.

1. frankv

frankv What Are You Waiting For? Premium Member V.I.P. Member

I have the time and desire to answer your question. :thumb:

Problem is I don' the knowledge to address your question. You want to reach out to Cybermgk. He is the Kemper guru around these parts. Me? I'm an AXE FX2 player. :wave:

2. cybermgk

cybermgk Singin' the body lectric Premium Member V.I.P. Member

@kmaster68
    Just saw this. K, to load IRs to the Kemper, you need to get a software tool called Kemper Cab Maker. It takes IRs and converts them to a format that is useable by the Kemper. More to the point, it converts them into the same format that the Kemper creates when it profiles an Amp. Even when profiling an entire amp chain and making a 'studio profile' (amp and speaker and mic, useable straight too direct recording, FRFR solutions, the Kemper separates the amp portion from the cab portion while profiling. So i's converted to that same format.

At any rate, once converted, you put them on your USB stick, formatted by the Kemper, in the shard folder, and then put that in. You'll get a prompt on the screen associated with a button to import. Once imported, you can see by pressing the CAB button, and using the Browse knob.

Load any rig. Press the CAB button to bring the CAB settings into focus. Now use the Browse knob to roll through them. THis will include all the CABs from the different profiles you have loaded AND any IRs you have added. stop on one, try how it sounds, use the knob to select another, onward. If you find one you like, exit out and then save that rig as a new name.

Cab Maker Download

3. Pwrmac7600

Pwrmac7600 Premium Member

So just because I am curious. Does the Kemper allow you to use more than one cab at a time?
    Like if i wanted to load a 4X12 with V30's and a 4X12 of T75's?

4. cybermgk

Yes and no. Not if they were two separate IRs or (from profiles) Cab Modules. Think of it as having just ONE CAB block on the Axe. (See my Opus), and only in one particular place in the signal path. That is one of the Axe's big advantages, is the signal path of whatever you want.

BUT, if you had a cab profile or converted IRs that were both, you could fill that one spot with it.

5. Pwrmac7600

Pwrmac7600 Premium Member

And I assume Kemper doesn't yet make anything like Fractal's cablab to blend your own ir mixes?

6. cybermgk

Nope. But, could use it to mix and save as a new IR, then use the Kemper tool to convert and load that single IR.

7. skysc

skysc Senior Member

IMO; IR are magical . i was looking for Metallica tones and found a pack of IR for guitar rig 5 .. it has IR for almost each album . i load the IR into the Reflektor of the Guitar rig 5 and can get very close to hetfield sound for each album ( from Ride the lightning to black album with And justice for all dryness distortion in between . Before downloading IR i always thought patch and simulation from Guitar Rig and other guitar software were weak and i was barely using the software . Now it sound alot more profesionnal . For Axe fx II and Kemper .. silent underground studio does ¨Clone tones¨for many artist Metallica , megadeth , pantera etc.. . they sound really close from what you hear on the album . With IR i've found software sim and modelers achieving better result then using the ¨real amp and preamp¨that the artist use to record . I dont have a Axe fx II or kemper but i can only imagine how good they must be .

frankv likes this.