The Ebay "Fraudulant" Listing Thread!

Discussion in 'eBay Deals' started by rockstar232007, Jul 18, 2010.

1. Stranger

Stranger Senior Member

Not quite a fake, but this guy seems to have sanded down a Studio which has miraculously transformed it into a BFG. Praise the Lord & Halleluya, I'm gonna turn my banjo into a piano : )

Gibson Les Paul BFG (2007) | eBay

Item number:

2. rockstar232007

rockstar232007 Senior Member

Actually, it looks like a BFG that's been sanded/modded? And, what's up with the Epi TRC?

3. Stranger

Stranger Senior Member

his reply

Understandable thinking, but:

1. The entire body and neck are un-lacquered; however carefully one sands down a lacquered guitar, there's always a little residue in the nooks and crannies that you can never quite get rid of without sanding too much of the wood away; there is none on this guitar, it has clearly never been lacquered in its life.
    2. The body on BFGs is more extensively chambered so as to make it lighter for extended use standing/running/jumping (rather than sitting, like me!); I’ve handled loads of Les Pauls, Customs, Standards, Studios, Deluxes, etc. over the years and this is certainly the lightest one I’ve ever handled.
    3. Studios, and indeed every other LP model, have either dot, trapezoidal or block fret markers on the face of the fretboard at 3, 5, 7, 9, 12, 15, 17, 19 and 21. This guitar has none, and clearly never has had, it just has the small dot markers on the edge of the fretboard, as per BFG.
    4. The neck pickup is mounted closer to the neck, with the mounting ring cut away to clear, because it's sitting in the routing originally made for a P90 - moving an existing humbucker 5 mm or so "North" from its normal position would expose the old screw holes and the edge of the orginal routing on the "South" side ... and would also be a bit pointless.

Re-wiring the BFG to normal LP configuration (or indeed doing the reverse of that) is an easy enough job, and replacing the P90 with a humbucker (or reversing that too) is even easier, but the woodwork is not so simple to alter (as above), and that's what makes me certain: it may have been modified electronically, but this is definitely a BFG. If you are still interested, you’re welcome to come and have a look at it – my mob. is .

Cheers

Monty

4. ZWILDZR1

ZWILDZR1 Senior Member

This guy claims this LP Custom was made in Gibson's Chinese factory but he is covering up the headstock and that makes it ok to be on ebay. Look he even got a Gibson case and some sales literature to help sell this fake.
    Les Paul Custom Custom Chocolate Sunburst | eBay

5. goodvibes

goodvibes Premium Member

6. Vortex

Vortex Senior Member

7. dangerdog

dangerdog Senior Member

Except maybe in scatology.

That is a turd.

8. JungleMF

JungleMF Senior Member

9. Thunder Dump

Thunder Dump Senior Member

This one:

Gibson Les Paul 1960 Reissue G0 R0 Custom Shop Les Paul Perfect Condition | eBay

He may be selling a legit G0, but those first two photos are MY photos of MY guitar that is NOT for sale and still in my possession. You can see that the third photo of the back of the headstock clearly has a different background, so that one may be legit, but the buyer isn't going to have a clue what the real guitar looks like, if there even is one at all.

Reported.

10. Britpack

Britpack Premium Member

11. Rocknropes

Rocknropes Senior Member

12. dangerdog

dangerdog Senior Member

with these specs how could I not bid 5k:

- Pearl block in-layed rosewood fret board (is this like when you **** your inlaws?)

- Grover tuners

- Painted neck and head stock (wow PAINTED?!!? AWESOME)

- Custom pen strip trim around complete guitar (Striped with a real honest to God pen?!)

Play-ability/tone: (oduh..uh)

It plays easy and has a smooth, light touch to the fret board. Very minor fret wear. Could use some pick ups though I recorded a song with this guitar before I realized they were epiphones. (NOOOOO!!!! not fake Epiphones!? NOOOOO)

Padded case included (well, than God for that at least)

13. Diocletian

Diocletian Senior Member

Grover Chrome Rotomatic Machine Heads | eBay

I bought a gold set of these from this seller. I didn't think they felt as smooth as my other Grovers, but I just noticed they also are missing one of the two raised lips on the shaft that real Grovers have.
    You can see in the photo in the listing, these only have ONE raised lip.
    I've reported him to ebay, but I doubt anything will be done.

I LOVE my real Grovers, it really hacks me off that I thought these were real and it made me think maybe Grovers werent all I thought they were!

EDIT - he gave me a full refund, no questions asked so I'm quite content, especially since he told me to keep them as well (I really couldn't be bothered removing them and replacing them again just now, although I will eventually!).

14. safefromexposure

safefromexposure Member

15. mmcquain

mmcquain V.I.P. Member

16. dangerdog

dangerdog Senior Member

17. HardCore Troubadour

HardCore Troubadour Senior Member

and a pretty nice rack for a "Super Collector"...just sayin"

18. dangerdog

dangerdog Senior Member

2 people like this.
  19. HardCore Troubadour

HardCore Troubadour Senior Member

and a nice rack on a "super collector"...