The Early Les Paul Sound

Discussion in 'Vintage Les Pauls' started by Frogfur, Dec 26, 2017.

1. DarrellV

DarrellV About as sharp as a bowlin' ball! -NPM Silver Supporter Premium Member

Ouch!......

2. Fretts

Fretts Junior Member

Oh, I remember those damn Meliita bridges, they were savage. We called them Meat Slicers, I can't tell you how much blood me and my buddy spilled because of those wicked wafer things. We ended up ditching them on every Gretsch that passed thru our hands and putting on something a little less lethal. Of course, this was 1970 and there wasn't much knowledge available other than what we could figure out on our own, so we probably harmed some guitars back then that would now be considered sacred. But at the time, it was a major improvement.
    As long as we're on the original topic, Tom - my guitar buddy - had a 54 LP Custom with those staple magnet pickups. We didn't know what it was but it looked cool, looked "factory" and was adjustable, so we didn't mess with it at all. That guitar was solid mahogany all the way through, no maple top.

S. Rock and DarrellV like this.

3. dodona

dodona Junior Member

Duo sonics or whatever. Les sound was much distorted by lots of electronics, producing no authentic les paul sound.

S. Rock likes this.

4. Apocalypto

Apocalypto Junior Member

I like Neil Young. I think he's an underrated guitarist. He's certainly one of the most prolific artists of his era. And why don't you take your anti-Canadian BS and go jump off a bridge?

Scelestus, jdto, Who and 2 others like this.

5. rockbeare

rockbeare Junior Member

Interesting thread, credible. And Les Paul and Neil Young aren’t the only ones. A close look at Dutch Guitarist Jan Akkerman of Focus shows a Dynasonic in the neck position of his double pup LP Custom. He used enneck for most of his very melodic work, switching to the regular humbucker for the sharpest licks.

I know it’s really lame, but if you try a Gretsch single coil model in the neck position of the LP Custom Model in Variax workbench, you can get a remote sense of what they were on to!

Who likes this.

6. charlie chitlins

charlie chitlins Senior Member

A lot of people who spend a LOT of money on pickups never thought of Dynasonics.
    They are freakin' deadly.

Bill Hicklin, Who and NJDevil like this.

7. NJDevil

NJDevil Senior Member

Dynas are great pickups and almost picked up a Gretsch Duo Jet about 4 years ago but I knew there were other options to explore. Because of the Les post showing the DeArmond/Dyna pickup (P90 still in the bridge), my wish was to install a set of Dynas in an LP. Just around the time I was going to do this, I pulled the trigger on a '14 LP Traditional with the '59 reissue pups. This may just be my favorite guitar in the stable.....or at least after 3 years, the honeymoon isn't over yet.

OK, so 2018 is rolling around and there are still 2 LPs I want but that would delay the project more. Since I want Dynasonics in a chunk of solid wood, I was thinking about doing this on an Agile or an LP Studio (probably used for a better price).

Of course I want 2 more LPs, a CS-336 (price is ridiculous so it will probably remain a dream forever), and a Gretsch 5620T Streamliner. All this plus the fact that if I buy another guitar at the moment my wife will kill me lets me know the dream for the LP/Dyna experiment and all other guitars will have to wait a while.

Who and CRobbins like this.

8. charlie chitlins

I have a '54 Gretsch 6192 (Electro II) with the Melita bridge. I've heard if those knurled thumbscrews, but I'm pretty sure they also used lower profile "cheese head" screws slotted for a flat screwdriver...which mine has.
    The mounting studs still stick up way high, though. It's not deadly, but it's not optimum.
    I also had a 50-something Firebird Jet for awhile and it freakin' KILLED.
    Now I really want a pair of those TV Jones T-Armonds in my 50's Trib Lester!!
    But...$300 worth of pickups in a $600 guitar?
    Tough choice.
    A buddy also has a set of P13s he's been trying to sell me, but I don't know if they'll fit.
    DSCN2586.JPG

NJDevil, Who and DarrellV like this.

9. ColdCobra

ColdCobra Senior Member

P13s won't fit in a Dyna route but they are great pickups. Like an untamed P90, not clean like a dyna. Rare too, so I would definitely grab them. If you don't want them send him to me!

Who likes this.

10. Boss 302

Boss 302 Premium Member

Is it just me, or does that guitar have a flat top?
    There appears to be no top cap.

Another, sound secret?

11. WezV

WezV Senior Member

it wasn't just the dynasonic version, he was clearly messing around in those early days

Dynasonic here
    [​IMG]

something different here?? 6 big poles and screws either end
    [​IMG]

a wall of experiments. the neck pickup in the 2nd from right looks very square compared to any others we have seen
    [​IMG]

Look at Mary's on this vid

I recently made a goldtop inspired by Les's early experiments... not a copy of any, but imagine if Les got his way on the final spec and I think i got in the right ballpark

I used dynasonic style coils for both pickups... no height adjustment though, just tone holes for the look
    [​IMG]

12. charlie chitlins

13. ajory72

ajory72 Senior Member

Man I like this - you've nailed what I reckon was his original conception, and how Gibson would mass produce it. Even the neck without binding was something he seems to have liked.. Though he was a glam kind of guy and I guess he got what he wanted in his Les Paul Recording model... at least I think thats where he ended up being happiest :)

May I ask if this was a body from Precision Guitars ?

14. WezV

WezV Senior Member

Thanks for the comments. :)

It was all built from scratch.

I did find a copy of the tailpiece les used too, but it was too low quality to consider using

15. charlie chitlins

I just did this.
    It's nice ;) 001.JPG

Thumpalumpacus and Blue Blood like this.

16. Pappy58

Pappy58 Senior Member

For a video remastered from 50's tape the audio quality is killer! I believe those pup's were Les' own, not yanked from a Gretsch.:hmm:..now he could have copied them off the Dyna's, :dunno:.....or I could be wrong..:doh:

17. WezV

WezV Senior Member

He was certainly using a few things, but i think the dynasonics won out

Didn't he spec Dynasonics for the customs? The stapletop is essentially a dynasonic clone built to get around patents

Pappy58 likes this.

18. Pappy58

Pappy58 Senior Member

That replica is outstanding and I love that vid..she is having a blast mocking his azz! :lol: Great Post!

19. JillSaphic

JillSaphic Junior Member

Are these the same pickups that were on the "les paul TV model"?...

Frogfur likes this.

20. Frogfur

Frogfur Senior Member