The Drama Queen

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Barnaby, Mar 20, 2012.

1. Skyjerk

Skyjerk Meatbomb

Gotta agree with this. I'm only two guitars in so far. Made a bunch of mistakes on both of them, but I didnt make the same mistakes on number two as I did on number one, and hopefully number three will be similarly free of the mistakes I made on one and two :)

Progress, not perfection :)

3 people like this.
  2. poro78

poro78 Noble savage Premium Member

How sweet is this? So sweet that just watching the pictures make cavities appear into my teeth.

Yeah, I'm not waiting for new pictures, couldn't care less, this is soooooo last year.
    When is the next update? :naughty:

2 people like this.
  3. Trav

Trav Junior Member

Beautiful instrument. Every time I look at your builds the same thing crosses my mind..... Imagine what this guy could do with time, space and a couple of power tools. �� Keep up the good work man.

1 person likes this.
  4. Hazboticus

Hazboticus Senior Member

Im so glad I have this subscribed, whenever I forget to check on its progress it reminds me to do so. Looks great man - gotta be satisfying getting that lacquer on there - no more cocobolo dust :p

1 person likes this.
  5. VictOr358

VictOr358 Senior Member

Master P.! Contain your radio feedback! ...sheesh...
    Next time am'a posting, I'are post the amount of shavings to take a puny 1.2 mm down from a neck thru :slash:

2 people like this.
  6. fatdaddypreacher

fatdaddypreacher V.I.P. Member

sweet looking indeed. you're tempting me to try out cocobolo

1 person likes this.
  7. Barnaby

Barnaby Premium Member

It may be...:naughty:

I think you are both right (and both do much neater work than me, so I have to stop and listen to your opinions). I know that I'd never get anything done if I only released things that I thought were perfect, and, after a while, I'd stop building at all.

Awww...here you go...check out the flame in the mahogany in the first photo. Much more apparent in reality, but you get the idea. :shock:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cheers! Well, I'll be trying some next month in Malaysia - really looking forward to it, actually. Who knows - maybe one day I'll have a workshop with three CNCs and a bunch of large power tools! Don't think I could ever give up my planes, however.

Dude! Great to hear from you. Hope life is treating you well. :wave:

Do...I think you'd do something wonderful, but, as Hazboticus notes above, please be careful of the dust!

3 people like this.
  8. Open_Book

Open_Book Senior Member

if you stopped partying over there you'd have had the *&^%$£$ thing done by now! :naughty:

1 person likes this.
  9. Barnaby

Barnaby Premium Member

Stopped partying? That's like asking me to stop breathing...:shock:

90's grunge night at my fave local bar tonight. I'm considering whether to spend a quiet one at home or head out and get stodgered with a bunch of dodgy locals. :hmm:

1 person likes this.
  10. Open_Book

Open_Book Senior Member

I worry 'bout you sometimes... :shock:

1 person likes this.
  11. Seamus

Seamus Senior Member

Is that really a question? :dude::thumb:

1 person likes this.
  12. Barnaby

Barnaby Premium Member

Heh! :cool:

DQ is drying away. Once all the lacquer is on, then it's just a process of waiting. Something followers of this thread should be well-used to by now!

:eek:

This is, by the way, a big part of the reason I'm not willing even to consider doing repairs or building instruments for money at this time. I simply couldn't do work to schedule. If I get overworked in my day job (and it happens a lot), everything else goes out the window. When I try to work on guitars, it means that I have to rush, get distracted and can potentially make mistakes, which would put everything back even further than before. As a hobbyist building for fun and charity, people are generally OK with the long wait times, but, if I was running a business, it would be unacceptable.

Thank goodness the DQ owner-to-be is patient and that there is no money involved (from them to me, at any rate - what they choose to give to charity after receiving this instrument is entirely their choice and nothing to do with me :thumb:).

That being said, it may be the case that I will be in a different position regarding both my work and my workspace over the next couple of years. I am doing my best to get there. If and when I do, then a re-evaluation of my goals may be in order.

5 people like this.
  13. poro78

Doing this for work is way out of my league.
    It's stressing enough to build from materials others have bought, even though they are either relatives or good friends who know what's going on (like wifey's cancer treatments and boob repair operations and other crap) and accept that there might be delays..

1 person likes this.
  14. Barnaby

Barnaby Premium Member

Agreed!

The only way I'd consider it more seriously is if I had several things:

1) A genuine, proper professional level of skill
    2) A day job that paid pretty well, but allowed me three-day weekends
    3) A dedicated workspace which allowed me to use power tools and do proper spraying
    4) Something to offer as a luthier that others didn't (in terms of finished instruments, not building processes)
    5) Tons more experience of and feedback on both my repair work and building

I'm working on all of the above, but it's going slowly. #1 seems to be the hardest, followed by #4. #5 is the easiest - there doesn't seem to be a shortage of people wanting me to look over their instruments - especially when they realize I don't charge anything! :laugh2:

It's sad to say such a thing, but it's probably not realistic to consider building in the long term with only hand tools. I love doing so, but, with a proper workspace, there's no real reason to use a bowsaw to cut out a body or a router plane to do pickup and control cavities. A bandsaw and powered router would make much more sense. I'd like a drill press for more accurate holes and template robosanding and an orbital sander to make the finishing part of the work go more easily. I seriously doubt I'd ever stop using planes, chisels, files, rasps and scrapers, and enjoy carving tops and neck by hand, but a few power tools - chosen judiciously - would not compromise builds, I think.

4 people like this.
  15. Open_Book

Open_Book Senior Member

I started out with stubble and now I look like Billy Gibbons. Oy...

1 person likes this.
  16. Barnaby

Barnaby Premium Member

If only you were talking about your facial hair...:shock:

1 person likes this.
  17. poro78

Same thoughts exactly. If I had proper workshop, I'd also have couple of power tools, but would still make most of the work with hand tools.
    A router, bandsaw, drill press and orbital sander would be on my wish list. (If I had to choose only one of those, my choice wouldn't be a router but a drill press.)

I've already had minor steps to the dark side with a Dremel clone and it's tempting to try it next time when I need to carve the inlay cavities...
    I've made a DIY router base for the tool and carved some patterns to scrap, but I don't know if it's because it's a cheap copy or lack of practice... but the quality of my Dremel routing is still rather sloppy. :hmm:

2 people like this.
  18. Barnaby

Barnaby Premium Member

Not much to report...lacquer continues to be added and continues to do its lacquericological thing.

[​IMG]

13 people like this.
  19. Barnaby

Barnaby Premium Member

That's a picture with something called a 'mount shield lens', by the way. I bought a new camera on sale after my last one died and am currently figuring it out - sorta.

A Pentax Q7. It has the aforementioned lens and something called a 'standard zoom' plus some macro filters. I'm going to try to learn how to use it over time so I can take proper pictures in the future. I have no natural talent as a photographer, however. :eek:

20. poro78

While I'm trying to get my workshop cleaned and get my ass doing stuff, I somehow bumped into this cool clip and just had to share it here.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxP5Cg51qNs&feature=share[/ame]

2 people like this.