The Drama Queen

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Barnaby, Mar 20, 2012.

1. Barnaby

Barnaby Premium Member

Right then! :D

This will be another hand-tool build. As I have said elsewhere, I want to complete ten guitars before I reassess my approach to things. I am making another LP-type guitar with some minor differences planned:

1) Thinner body – perhaps 40mm on the mahogany
    2) Chambered – both the body and the underside of the top
    3) Cutaways for comfort – higher fret access, small heel and a subtle belly carve
    4) Double-action truss rod
    5) My own headstock
    6) Slightly different tenon design
    7) Honduran mahogany for the body and neck, but an ebony fingerboard, mother of pearl inlays and a solid cocobolo top

The caveats above aside, I will aim for a very ’59-ish feel, with perhaps more of a ’60-ish neck. The carve, like my last guitar (The Loveshark), will be based on my own interpretation of the 1959 top, the details of which come primarily from looking at a couple of real ‘bursts here in Tokyo numerous times and taking copious notes. I couldn’t measure them directly, sadly, but I was able to spend a long time checking things like the play of light on different angles and have been fine-tuning my ideas even further.

As usual, I will make my own pickups and make things like cavity and truss rod covers from wood. I am still not sure about the binding and pickup rings. Hardware will also be decided upon as I work.

This will not be a fast build, partly because I am horribly overworked with my real job and partly because cocobolo will be slow to work and require frequent tool sharpening. I expect, in all honesty, for the guitar to take me six months or more. It’s a chance to relax and enjoy making something slowly.

Here are the woods I will use:

[​IMG]

A glamour shot of the cocobolo:

[​IMG]

As I mentioned in another thread, I wasn’t sure whether or not to do a full build thread for this one, but I figured why not, as quite a few people, both online and via PM, wanted me to. I don’t know that I will be doing anything new really in terms of technique, but it may all be a bit more refined. We shall see. Posts will probably be less detailed than previously, as people who really want to know how I do things can look it up on other threads – or simply ask, of course, and I’ll be happy to go into unnecessary depth.

Oh, and the guitar is called the ‘Drama Queen’. :cool:

2. Barnaby

Barnaby Premium Member

On to the build itself, which has just been begun. I started by cutting out the body with a bowsaw.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

See what I mean by short posts? :D

6 people like this.
  3. Matt'Lefty

Matt'Lefty Member

Wha- colobolo top? Subscribed :eek:

Keep up the great work!

1 person likes this.
  4. Aronvane

Aronvane Member

Subscribed, because your build threats are plain awesome :)

1 person likes this.
  5. Larsen

Larsen Member

Wahoooo, I'm in :)

1 person likes this.
  6. VictOr358

VictOr358 Senior Member

Inspector, you're starting new stunning builds faster than I'm able to come up with new witty comments :applause:

1 person likes this.
  7. Bruiser74

Bruiser74 Senior Member

Heck yeah Barnaby, giddy-up brother!
    Have fun, we sure will enjoy it.
    B

1 person likes this.
  8. Claymore

Claymore Senior Member

Mmmmmmmm..... Cocobolo.....:thumb:

1 person likes this.
  9. Blackdog

Blackdog Senior Member

Great ! Will follow this one. The Cocobolo top will look amazing under a finish.

Just one comment, you're sure you're not allergic to that thing, right ?

I only finished one cocobolo fretboard so far and it kept me sneezing all the time. And I've read that it can get much worse than that to some people.

Cheers !

1 person likes this.
  10. jtarant

jtarant Member

Great!! :applause: I've followed your other threads quietly (I'm still studying them) but I think I'll bother you asking some questions this time... :D
    BTW, thanks for sharing and explaining your builds

1 person likes this.
  11. Barnaby

Barnaby Premium Member

Awwww...you guys! :thumb:

The best thing for me about doing threads is the amazing commentary that they get. I learn a huge amount, get encouragement and laugh my head off - sometimes all from the same post.

Of course, I've told emoney that he shouldn't put those pictures of himself in gym shorts online, but it never seems to stop him...:shock:

12. Barnaby

Barnaby Premium Member

I'm not sure yet whether I'm allergic, as it happens. Luckily, hand tools make a lot less dust than powered ones do and I'm planning to wear a respirator and nitrile gloves for the serious sanding parts. I will see how it goes...:fingersx:

13. kfowler8

kfowler8 Senior Member

When I read the title, I thought I was going to see a picture of my three your old in here.

2 people like this.
  14. free2rock

free2rock Senior Member

Here we go again!

May I suggest french polish?

1 person likes this.
  15. TKOjams

TKOjams Senior Member

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  16. ctmullins

ctmullins Senior Member

Whoops - a serious mistake right out of the gate there, B - you accidentally cut out a lefty! ;)

Seriously, you're cooler than Avogadro's number of Fonzi's tied together with a snake. Looking forward to watching this one!

(BTW, Cocobolo is very oily, and - or so I've read - requires extra prep work before gluing - good luck!)

1 person likes this.
  17. cain61

cain61 Senior Member

Excellent so far, Bartleby. I'm looking forward to another long subscription!

1 person likes this.
  18. alk-3

alk-3 MLP Sponsor

Good idea, but preferably do the sanding outside.. down the street.. or better yet, in the next town..
    Cocobolo is a but dangerous to work with. You may not be allergic to it, but if you work with it, you almost certainly will become allergic to it. That in itself isn't so much of a problem, but it's also a sensitizing wood, meaning if you work with it, and develop an allergy you can also become allergic to all other wood dust, making woodworking impossible.
    I know one guy who ended his career after working with it. He couldn't go into his shop, and when he finally cleaned all the dust out (took months) and began work again, he was just as badly allergic to other rosewoods. Ended up throwing in the towel.
    That's an extreme case, but it's a risk i'm not willing to take..
    Sad too because many many vintage Gibson's were made with cocobolo, and not brazilian rosewood. it would be nice if it became socially acceptable to use it instead of Brazilian. It is such a beautiful wood, but has risks.
    There than all that, I'm looking forward to this build! :thumb:

3 people like this.
  19. GrouchyDog

GrouchyDog Senior Member

Wow, can't wait to see this one! I had a set of cocobolo bagpipes for a number of years - over time, the wood aged into a gorgeous dark red-brown. This is going to be pretty and will only get better!

1 person likes this.
  20. Reverend D

Reverend D Senior Member

B's like James Bond, Danger is his business! Double 00 ! :D This should be cocolicious, of course I'll be here, let me just get my gloves and respirator on... ok, already! Good luck B!

Regards,

Don

3 people like this.