The doubling effect.

Discussion in 'Tonefreaks' started by Pleximan, Oct 29, 2017.

1. Pleximan

Pleximan Premium Member

Most of you I'm sure have played in bands, listened to innumerable bands, and have a good ear for tone. I am a lead guitar player in a band. If you've ever listened to Thin Lizzy, Iron Maiden, or any band with two guitarists. You've heard this doubling effect.

I have to share how my band and I do it. I'm sure other bands have done it, but. It really builds a wall of sound. My Rhythm guitarist and bassist tune down to B standard tuning. I'm tuned at E standard 440.

At first I thought this going to sound horrible, but. On the contrary B and E are in a 1,4,5 progression together so it works. The sound of the guitars are somewhere between doubled, chorus, and octavia. I really recommend bands with two guitarists try this. Two Les Pauls never sounded this massive.

Benjammin likes this.
  2. Bobby Mahogany

Bobby Mahogany Senior Member

3. Mookakian

Mookakian Senior Member

Perfect fourth harmonies... interesting. Have i got that right or do you all play in the same key by changing position on the fretboard with the B tuned weapons?

4. Juan Wayne

Juan Wayne Senior Member

I'm puzzled too. Without knowing if everyone is playing the same or not, I'm absolutely lost.