The Definitive Guide to ESP Navigator History Post Mid 1990s

Discussion in 'Other Single-Cuts' started by Ramon Goose, Jun 19, 2015.

1. Ramon Goose

Ramon Goose Senior Member

Again the topic of this thread is Navigator not Edwards and in all honesty you probably know more about Edwards than I do . I've never actually played one let alone owned one but by all accounts they are great guitars

Best
    R

2. Ramon Goose

Interesting because they told me those 500 nlp's came with ESP's own brand of vintage style pups. The 700 came with antiquitys

3. Ramon Goose

Well that clears that up

But interesting as I heard 280 was discontinued when they started to promote the Edwards brand. Maybe I misunderstood

4. Ramon Goose

There is a lot more cool info but I see folk here think I'm wrong (funny as I'm getting this info from a very cool source in Japan) so I'll let you guys finish the rest of the picture

Peace

5. villager

villager Senior Member

Ramon its always interesting to have information, but over the years that people have been following and dissecting MIJ one thing has become clear, nothing is set in stone, there are always exceptions, and what people tell you may have been correct for a certain time period, re the esp pups in the 500s, i have had quite a few documented 500s and not seen anything but seth lovers in them, there may well have been times during the period of 500 manufacture when esp did use their own pups, but I have never seen this, and it has not been documented or seen before, if you can find a reference to this or a pic with these pu in an NLP500 then I will be more convinced.I do have a 1995 LP-500 with original esp pickups in it so maybe this was the case pre limited series... .interesting on the braz boards tho..

1 person likes this.
  6. Matty

Matty Senior Member

I thought you had already posted the definitive history. :hmm:

7. Ramon Goose

Yes about Navigator not Edwards ... Two different makes. Edwards is the cheaper brand

8. JDB

JDB Senior Member

But you clearly reference Edwatds as being started in 2002. 10+ years after the first known Edwards. So the 280 is not ironclad prototype to the edwards release.
    never take anything as gospel. Some good info on serial numbets though and with some more examples may prove as correct. Villager has shown a good collection above.

9. Ramon Goose

All my facts about navigator are correct and also the 280 ceasing to exist beyond 2002. As far as Edwards goes I've stated that I don't know anything about that make so apologies to you for making Any Kind of statement regarding Edwards

10. FKO

FKO Senior Member

As Villager mentioned, "nothing is set in stone"

iirc, there is no hard and fast rules for Navigator (as with the entire ESP family), they will make you whatever specs you want and stick a Navigator decal on it. You can have a 280 CTM spec'ed with all sort of funky appointments. Hence, there will be inconsistency in specification.

11. Ramon Goose

Okay I think everyone has missed the point of the thread

I said at the beginning esp will make you anything

All I've stated is what ESP presented as Their standard models

I think I've repeated this about five times already

12. marmeduke

marmeduke Senior Member

Good information, Ramon.
    What pickups would come in a recent 680?

1 person likes this.
  13. villager

villager Senior Member

680 is a custom order so the pickups would be whatever was requested in the original build..

14. deaninkl

deaninkl Senior Member

Some good information Roman, thanks for adding to the limited info. out there.

I have a 2001 280STD having it described as an Edwards prototype just won't do. My guitar will be offended... I'm hurt myself... i'm going to tell my mum..

15. Ramon Goose

Yes I made an error and the people on this forum have been calling me Judas ever since.

basically the 280 was discontinued exactly like i said as a Navigator model in 2002.

ESP/Navigator do offer custom builds but this thread is about the specific models that were on offer since 1997 if you want to know about pre1997 models then ask Udon he knows quite a bit about that era of Navigators

16. deaninkl

deaninkl Senior Member

Ramon, the info you posted on the 280 models is already more than I had before so thanks. Most of what I have read before basically says the were a 380 but with a poly finish....and that they were discontinued because the selling price was too low... I like to believe that..:)

I have not read before that lesser wood were used. certainly the construction appears the same, mine is a single piece back and a two piece top, it is honey as you mention but far from a plain top, it has a very nice finish. I think you can see that from the attached photo.

Attached Files:

17. Ramon Goose

Thanks for posting - sorry I didnt mean lesser wood just that the 280 was not made with Hondorus woods like the 380 was. Wood is wood - its all from mother earth so its all good - the rest is just hype and bull****

18. orys

orys Senior Member

I know this is an old thread but i am drawn into the Navigators magic.
    I did some simple search on their website which is obviously not concrete as it is based only on Internet Archive website which only has 66 saves starting from 2007.

[​IMG]

A summary of what i found is this:

As mentioned above, I searched with the wayback machine for ESP Navigator page. From what i found in 2007 they had a website and it lists the Navigator guitars and models. Link here. http://web.archive.org/...//www.espguitars.co.jp/navigator/
    The model was the 380 and there was no ESP catalog in there.

[​IMG]

In 2008 there are two web snapshots and they still listed Navigator N-LP as 380. The strange thing is that there was a 2008 ESP catalogue that shows the Navigator models as 480.
    http://web.archive.org/web/20081113120549/http://www.espguitars.co.jp/navigator/
    Link to the 2008 catalogue. http://web.archive.org/web/20130727...er/catalog/pdf/2008/ESP_2008catalog_25-29.pdf

[​IMG]

Early 2009 there are some more ESP Navigator website snapshots are identical to the 2008 ones and show that ESP still advertised the guitars as 380 but there is still the 2008 catalogue in the website that shows them as 480. http://web.archive.org/web/20090206001431/http://www.espguitars.co.jp:80/navigator/

[​IMG]

Late 2010 snapshot lists the guitars as 480 and the 2010 ESP catalogue bottom of page shows as "under preparation".
    http://web.archive.org/web/20101028095823/http://www.espguitars.co.jp/navigator/

[​IMG]

Up until 2015 i couldn't get any catalogue. In 2015 though the model changed to N-LP STD.

As mentioned above this is NO knowledge, just simple findings from a website archive that cannot be 100% correct as it is based on website saves that do not seem to have a certain frequency as standard backups or something. But at least they show how the Navigator website looked 10 years back.