The death of a guitar hero.

Discussion in 'The Cellar' started by gl3nnium, Oct 15, 2017.

1. gl3nnium

gl3nnium Senior Member

Sometimes something shitty happens when you practice and play guitar for years. You picked up that guitar because someone inspired you. Maybe you heard a player and you thought "god if only i could do that."
    Years and decades go by as you play and practice and one day you go back to that same artist genuinely excited to experience that feeling again, but, this time you arent inspired by them any more....not at all.
    Now I'm not saying im the greatest player...hell...the more I play, the more I realise I know nothing, but I'm genuinely disappointed.
    I'm trying really hard not to sound like an arrogant shit, just genuine.
    It's weird, It should make me happy now, but what do you do when you discover that a child guitar hero turns out to be shit....that someone you idolised has only one trick and one riff and they just recycle it over and over and disguise that fact with an effect pedal.
    I even get mad at them. I think..."fuck you..ive been knocking myself out for years and trying different things and there you are playing the same fucking song over and over again. Would it have killed you to learn how to play or did you just stop giving a shit"
    Things that mystified you years ago turn out to be the same notes but with a new effect. Suddenly you realise "oh shit....all you did was use some delay and a whammy pedal"

I don't know. I should be happy but i just feel cheated. First world problems I know.

2. filtersweep

filtersweep Senior Member

If it took you THAT long to figure it out, that one trick must have been GENIUS. Appreciate the genius!

Thumpalumpacus, Bubba Z and Who like this.
  3. PierM

PierM Premium Member

To me depends how do you approach guitar music. I never approached guitar music as a challenge to be good as someone else, or better, nor today I have any competitive attitude with other musicians. Unfortunately this seems the very typical approach for many rock electric guitarists, which are perceiving their guitars more like a penis extension, than just a instrument to make music and feed your own soul, more than your ego. There is plenty of judgment between these guitarists, this is so childish lol...

Also being an "hero" means you are spending your entire life around more or less the same pattern that makes you that recognizable "hero", while being an "unknown" allow you to experiment and learn for your entire life, chasing other people licks. Still, you are the one chasing the hero, even if you consider yourself better skilled. :)

So fortunately I never had that feeling and I keep enjoying good music even if it's done by just 2 chords and a boxed penta.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2017
    LeftyF2003, Bubba Z and Who like this.
  4. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Senior Member

Well, you bought their CD and not the other way around, right?

northernguitarguy, Bubba Z and PierM like this.
  5. Matt_21

Matt_21 Senior Member

Carlos Santana on his newer releases?

6. Who

Who are you? Who who who who.... Premium Member

The consumer doesn't want the "hero" to change. They want a human jukebox of their memories.

If the guy from Green Day learned a new chord, he'd not be allowed to play it live.

This forum expects the exact same thing from Gibson. The Firebird X may have actually been a great sonic tool, but I'll never know.

7. filtersweep

filtersweep Senior Member

Green Day? Guitar hero? Seriously?

Of course, any band is expected to cover their greatest hits quite faithfully.

But the plenty of guitarists have matured nicely with age.

As for Gibson, I don't care what they do to a Firebird X. I do care what happens to core Les Paul models. There is a difference.

8. EasyAce

EasyAce Senior Member

Oh?

Thumpalumpacus likes this.
  9. gl3nnium

gl3nnium Senior Member

Much Like PierM ive never been competitive when it comes to my playing. It's just been a personal thing. I don't know. In a way it's nice to know that i can nail any solo with zero practice just by busting out same minor scale pentatonic bullshit. In fact, it's very satisfying. but then you almost get disappointed because you realise "If it's that easy for me just to do that...then how lazy were those guys in the first place."
    Is it really fair to name artists? Probably not, althoughI'm pretty sure that 'The Edge' wouldn't be able to play even a simple scale if you asked him too. I appreciate the unusual now. There are some artists whos playing isnt technical but unorthdox. Jack White and his fucked up Lo-Fi tones. Josh Homme and his fuzzed out strangeness. I rate them high even though nobody would call them guitar legends. Ill take that over some of those guitar gods who can bust out the most amazing technical feats and yet somehow manage to put out something devoid of all feel.

10. Breezin

Breezin Senior Member

Its a very common occurrence for the student to surpass the teacher.
    Just be happy for what that relationship gave you and move forward, no need for anger.

Thumpalumpacus and LDS714 like this.
  11. Bubba Z

Bubba Z Member

In the end, it's really about enjoying what you play. There are days when I pick up the guitar and just jam out to a D chord (literally, stomp on the looper pedal, play a D chord in a percussive rhythm, then solo over it). When I first started playing guitar, I wanted to learn songs, but it's never been a matter of seeing how many I can learn and how many scales/chords I can learn. When I pick up a guitar on any given day, I just play how I'm feeling, be it power chords, scales, specific songs, random riffing to test out different tones, whatever. As long as I'm enjoying the experience and it's providing me with some sort of catharsis, I'm happy.

When it comes to listening to music, whether or not another guitarist learns a new scale or a new technique isn't my business and it doesn't affect me either way. It's good to appreciate what any given artist is doing rather than what they're not doing. I just try to diversify my tastes in music for moments when I'm not jiving with certain songs/albums/genres. If I'm listening to a band one day and it's not hitting the right groove for me in that moment, I'll change it to another band or genre of music (I went from Pantera to Kenny Burrell the other day).

northernguitarguy likes this.
  12. MooCheng

MooCheng Senior Member

I can think of several artists I admired only to revisit some years later and feel underwhelmed at what they were doing. I guess its all part of moving on and getting older.

It does'nt take anything away from how influential these artists were at the time, I listened and learned and for that I am thankful to them

Thumpalumpacus likes this.
  13. guitar_randy

guitar_randy Senior Member

I got lucky in that respect. I aimed high from young on and still and probably never will match the couple guitar heroes I looked up to and continue to. I fid however think I had to have same type og guitar as them which I do, but have since found in afdition to my hetoes my ears and mind have opened up to other sounds and types of approaches. I still favor the same type of guitar and amp and little to no pedal use but my playing has stayed the same yet expanded and I will likely forever be striving to achieve the skill and talent my idols produced with what seemed to be effortlessly for them.I think I ended up sounding like myself with patts of them in my playing which I guess is a good thing in the end

14. DotStudio

DotStudio Silver Supporter

I'm the opposite. The longer I play the more I realize it's the little nuances that make each player unique. AC/DC comes to mind. There's nothing astoundingly difficult there, but when I hear someone cover their music it usually falls flat. Only Angus really sounds like Angus with his crazy vibrato and frantic pentatonics. Jack White gets crapped on a lot, but that quick stutter pinch technique he uses isn't as easy as it seems. It's all relative. I think everybody has a little something they bring to the table.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2017
  15. Duane_the_tub

Duane_the_tub Senior Member

This must be how everyone who grew up listening to KISS feels.

Breezin likes this.
  16. Mike_LA

Mike_LA Junior Member

Your "guitar hero" was just some guy trying to pay his bills with what he had.
    How do you figure he owes you anything?
    Because he did it simpler than you ever thought to, you feel cheated?
    Rejoice in the fact that you got better than he did with his inspiration.

Bubba Z and Guitarhack like this.
  17. tolm

tolm Bigsby Junkie Premium Member

It’s not a competition.

I was in a band with a guitarist who was way better than me but we just got on and played what was needed to get the songs across. And I got more complements on tone, anyway. But it’s not a competition ... ;)

Bubba Z, Guitarhack and LeftyF2003 like this.
  18. LeftyF2003

LeftyF2003 Premium Member

The best players play for the song. If that means holding back 90% of what you are capable of doing that's what you do. No one outside of other musicians wants to see you ripping out all your tricks.

I opened for Tom Morello back when he was in Lock Up. He was sweep picking like a mother and just amazing. By their 3rd song there were maybe 50 people in the place. He then went on to do Rage where he was mostly playing funk rhythm and sound effects for solos. They brought Woodstock to a seething boil of moshing ravenous fans. That was a lesson in less is more...

Bubba Z and DotStudio like this.
  19. DotStudio

DotStudio Silver Supporter

Yeah, I get a kick out of people ragging on Tom. He can play pretty much anyone into the dirt, but that's not where he wants to take his music. He's got crazy skill. I read an interview back in the day where he said something to the effect of "rather than play a ten minute solo heralding the return of Odin, I prefer to try to do something that hasn't been heard before." It works for the most part.

Thumpalumpacus and LeftyF2003 like this.
  20. LeftyF2003

LeftyF2003 Premium Member

Yea, he's a MONSTER player and a hell of a nice guy.