The day I didn't ever see coming. NAD Custom Shop...

Discussion in 'The Squawk Box' started by GibsonKramer, Oct 12, 2018.

1. GibsonKramer

GibsonKramer The Three G's Premium Member

I've played several SS Orange amps. I've liked them all. I think they've nailed the analog sound. I like their little hybrid Micro Terror. I own one, and can't see ever parting with it. If I got asked to play, I'd grab it... and one of my WGS loaded Marshall 1x10s. I'd be set.

This beast was a special order for another customer, that flaked out when it came in. Balked at the sticker price. Another guy bought it, came back within a week... too much amp for him.

My buddy kept raving about it, so I brought my pedalboard in. We plugged into an Orange 2x12 and spent at least 2 hours playing it. A bit darker than my usual Marshalls, but extremely articulate and just screams, when you open it up. Nothing like any of the SS Orange amps, I've played... which I actually really like.

It reminds me a lot of a Plexi (sacrilege!), to be honest. Has cool EQ lift, that takes the EQ out of the circuit, and its just running through the 12AX7 and EL34 gain stack.

With my taste in guitars, I'm not surprised its voiced well for them. I ended up asking them to stash it for me, on the promise I'd buy it. 3 months later... it came home.

I had tried matching it with my 1960AV, loaded with Marshall Vintage. Wasn't really feeling it, so I tried running it through a Mesa Boogie 1x12 Recto cab. That was the match. The Orange cabs sound real similar to me... so I traded an old Tweaker 15 head and the Mesa, for a PPC412 (I hate the color orange... I made sure the cab was black).

Invested in a THD Hotplate as well, as I think the CS50 sound better pushed. Give up a little bit of tone, but not so much it bothers me.

[​IMG]

Making room for the new cab.
    [​IMG]

Finished!
    [​IMG]

Some glamour shots...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now, its either a mini Jubilee... or a JCM800, if I can find one for the right price. 2205 near me... but there's something wrong with it... or I just don't like the 2205.

THDNUT, Gridlock, efstop and 13 others like this.
  2. Bobby Mahogany

Bobby Mahogany Senior Member

Two words:

Oh yes!
    :thumb:

3. C_Becker

C_Becker Dat Gibson smell

Very nice, Orange make great sounding amps, hard to dial in a crap sound.
    And the cabs are fantastic as well, if you have a strong back ;)

4. EndGame00

EndGame00 Senior Member

Seeing a Gibby slung on an amp makes me nervous....

5. northernguitarguy

northernguitarguy SWeAT hOg

I luv Orange crunch....but their clean tone leaves much to be desired, on my amp anyway.

OP, Happy NAD!

cherrysunburst00 and LSAR like this.
  6. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

A 2204 will be way more classic toned than a 2205. 2205 is good for 80's tones, though.

Congrats on the Classic 50. That is sweet.

7. GibsonKramer

That amp, weighs as much as a Mesa Boogie 1x12 Recto cab. Do you know how heavy that is? That guitar isn't going anywhere.

Yeah, they're pretty crunchy soon as you turn it on. That's cool with me. Everything I play is crunchy... and I have other amps, if I desire. Trying to find the sweet spot with a drive pedal, is fun adventure.

Sorry... Correction. The JCM800 is a 2210. Checked it out today. I've played it at room volume and we hooked up a Hotplate and dime'd that sucker.

My Jubilee has twice the juice. It's really anemic sounding. Supposedly just serviced, by a very competent local tech.

If I knew it was something that was an easy fix. I'd buy it.

8. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

2210 is the 100 watt version of the 2205. Still not classic tones. Not bad, but not 2203/2204 classic.

9. cherrysunburst00

cherrysunburst00 Senior Member

Nice. Really nice collection, My Friend.

CONGRATS on your Orange. What 10" WGS are you using in your Marshall cab?

10. LSAR

LSAR Pure Evil Premium Member

Huge congrats! That's a dream amp for me. You've got a lot of nice kit there, I bet that's a blast.

GibsonKramer likes this.
  11. RAG7890

RAG7890 Premium Member

HNAD, looks cool. :thumbs:

GLAD you like it........would hate to see you stuck with a Lemon. :laugh2: :laugh2: ;) :D

:cheers2:

GibsonKramer likes this.
  12. GibsonKramer

Its really anemic sounding. I at least expected some serious thump. Naw...

I hated the little Celestions in the original Lead 12. It has birch cabs, made just as solid as their big brothers. So I figured WTH... upgrade them. I wanted something closer to a V30... and at the time, was told the Retro was the one. You've got to really push them, to get that kind of tone. Otherwise, in a 10" cab, they're pretty dark sounding.

I'd like to mix one with an ET10 (which is what I wanted, but they were still 6 months from release).

Still great little cabs for my Egnater Tweaker 15. It'll push them. I'd gladly rock that rig, in a band setting. It'd keep up.

mdubya and cherrysunburst00 like this.
  13. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

It probably needs new caps. My 2205 would level buildings if great care wasn't taken. I still much prefer the 2203/2204 range, but the 2210 you tried sounds like it needs a tune up. They are beasts.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2018
  14. matthew bear

matthew bear Senior Member

Nice Orange! I have a RV mkIII, but I always GAS for other Orange offerings.

GibsonKramer likes this.
  15. GibsonKramer

Its done in white Tolex, as well... :eek2:

I used it as my backdrop for my next LP...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 14, 2018
    LSAR and mdubya like this.
  16. J50315

J50315 Senior Member

I had the 100 watt 2x12 combo version of that JCM800 and it wasnt bad by any means at all, had to be cranked to sound good though. I did sell it and my old silver jubilee when I started drinking the Friedman koolaid

GibsonKramer likes this.
  17. GibsonKramer

The day I got my Hotplate, we tested it on the JCM800.

Then we dimed that sucker.

Only time I've liked what came out of it. Just doesn't really have any juice, until it gets to that point.

mdubya likes this.
  18. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

That is another sign it needs caps or other work.

GibsonKramer likes this.
  19. Left Paw

Left Paw Senior Member

Maybe post a soundbite here ?

20. GibsonKramer

Any idea what that should cost? Or are the caps readily enough available. I suppose I should Google. I might be able to get a much better price, because they know its not going to sell out of there. Now, while its been a few years, I've certainly done my share of soldering... it was part of my rating in the Navy. Plus, I was soldering before I ever joined. I can handle some caps.

No joke here. The guys that worked with them (electronics, maintain, repair, operate). Those big, Coke can size blue caps... It was a "joke" to charge them up, them toss them to a guy walking in the space... "HOT POTATO!"

No shit.

I think about that now... and I wonder. WTF were we thinking? But...

Almost got to go to micro minature repair, but that always goes to the ETs. Not weapons systems guys.

In our store? No. It is always busy. When people talk about how poorly GC is doing... our store is not a good example. Someone is always in there, and they typically buy something. Now, if I'm in the mood to lug the big thing into the hallway, before they tear into renovating the bathroom, and push a cab back there... maybe. If I act like I'm going to buy it, they'll probably do it for me. But... I don't want to abuse that.

I will keep it in mind, and I will try to do it, if the opportunity presents itself.

I have them in a unique bind right now. They REALLY want not just one, but 2 sales from me. An '18 Classic and a '06 R9. I literally hold every card in this deal... because of info that was dropped, I happened to be tuned into.

In fact... I just might use this, in my favor. If I were to throw the sale of that 800 in the mix and conditional on the deal I want on that R9... :hmm:

EDIT: Just sent a text that will get some attention.

Classic, R9 and a JCM800 head sale? How bad do they want the sale? Because right now. I'm only really sold on the Classic. I've known that for a year. Now's the time, at under $1600! :beer:

Man... when they found out the original VOS Burstbuckers were gone for that R9 (and I overheard what I did)... the playing Mr Momentum switched jerseys. :cool2:

Last edited: Oct 20, 2018