The Custom Shape One

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by JMT Guitars, Aug 4, 2017.

1. JMT Guitars

JMT Guitars Senior Member

Hey guys so this is not my first ever build (far from it- although I am far from experienced and good!) But it will be the first documented properly on here. So here we are- the partially completed technical drawing of the JMT "Custom One"
    1501847204426-1011996057.jpg
    1501847308976204767952.jpg 20170804_121720.jpg
    Its got a 25 inch scale length, and the body and neck made from sapele, with a most likely ebony fretboard. A couple of cheapo PAF are going in there (yes I know. I'm skint okay?) I got most of the hardware already just waiting for a tune o matic and tailpiece to be delivered. I got a quote for some sapele on tuesday so I'll pick that up tomorrow probably.
    So this is where I am at currently, hopefully once I get going I'll move swiftly enough to get this done in 4 or 5 weeks.
    Cheers folks.

archey and Who like this.
  2. pshupe

pshupe Senior Member

Are you looking for comments on the design? Is this a one off or are you turning this into a model that you will repeat the design? I don't mind asymmetrical designs but there should still be some continuation of the design theme throughout the other aspects of the guitar. Have you designed pick guards, cavity cover, truss rod cover etc? The headstock is somewhat symmetrical and doesn't match up with the body design. When I look at that headstock I expect it to not have that body at the other end.

I do a lot of work for Architects and there is always some sort of theme to a design or building. If there are reasons for the design and certain shapes or void forms relate to each other then the overall design seems to work. Somethings to think about would be the differing horns and the asymmetrical body. If you are keen on keeping those elements copy them to other parts of the guitar. For instance have a point on one side of the headstock and a squared off corner on the other side. Carry over some elements into the pick guard and other covers. Even the layout of the tuners and the knobs and switches. Good luck. I like your starting point but think you have some more design work to do before you start cutting wood.

Cheers Peter.

3. JMT Guitars

Yeah I get that to be honest I keep thinking about the headstock. I know I want it to be 3x3 but the design is probably about to change. This is going to be a one off unless I feel like remaking it with a different wood and maple cap or something. It won't have scratch plates as I like bare wood better than plastic but thats's just me. I feel like the head stock and other minor adjustments can come later. The body is what's coming first and I think I have got that the way I like it. Its a personal guitar so...

Last edited: Nov 4, 2017
  4. Skyjerk

Skyjerk Meatbomb Silver Supporter

I never make scratch plates. Well, except for Strats. Strat is the only guitar that I like them on :)

For my own designs, and the LP I made as well, no scratch plate. Don't generally like them. This does leave me buffing out some haze below the strings from time to time but that's a fair trade IMO.

I'm with Peter here. No sense of unity here between body and headstock. I like the body shape, though, so I'd recommend working on the headstock if you decide to make any changes. That's just an opinion based entirely on personal tastes, though.

My own designs, body and headstock, went through many iterations before arriving where they are today. Most never made it beyond design cuz they made me retch to look at them :)

Last edited: Aug 23, 2017
  5. JMT Guitars

Hahaha to be honest I made a thread a couple of months ago when I was thumbnailing designs and most of the ones from back then were pretty vomit worthy.

On the subject of headstocks, The more I look at it the more I think it needs a 6 in a line headstock, but this is probematic as I already have the tuners and I am as aforementioned, destitute XD

I have just redrawn the headstock, I feel it fits better but I don't know I'l leave it to you master craftsmen to tell me just how wrong I am XD

6. DRF

DRF Senior Member

That's ambitious, in a way it reminds me of the old...I can't quite remember was it MJ Engineering, they had those open classical style headstocks.

Anyway one thing I started doing myself was getting that brown template board stuff from home depot and making full templates, neck and everything before chopping exotic wood. It's kind of a poor mans (without computer programs) R&D. If you're going to commit what's an extra week to really work out the kinks.

7. JMT Guitars

Yeah I may make some mdf or ply templates as they are always useful and are a lot tougher than paper.

Todays update:
    Changed headstock
    Changed pot placement
    Recieved TOM bridge and stop bar

Can't collect the wood today 'cause the local timber store isn't open weekends... joy.
    Anyway; photos!
    20170805_145711.jpg
    20170805_145715.jpg
    20170805_145725.jpg
    20170805_145927.jpg
    That's all for today.
    Cheers folks!

8. JMT Guitars

Picked up my wood today, I may make a start tomorrow depending on what I have going on over the week end. Wood is a 1800x230x51 plank of rough sawn sapele, enough to make a body blank and neck from with PLENTY of f**k-up room!

Cheers folks

9. JMT Guitars

Hey Guys,

Started work this week, got the body from rough sawn to planed up, but now behind schedule by about 3 days because my bloody planer (oh btw I have no proper power tools, no table or band saws, no jointer, no thicknesser... all hand held stuff) decided to misalign itself and gouge out the wood on one side of the cut so it was hand planing till I could fix it- easier said than done when the bolts on the cutter are seized up and you end up stripping one even after what seemed like half a can of WD-40... so it was hand planes for me! It aint square yet but its level... I'll fix the sides with my jointing plane later.
    Pics: 20170814_153427.jpg
    20170814_153433.jpg

The old wooden jack plane I used to start with:
    20170814_153443.jpg
    And the levelling plane:
    20170814_153451.jpg
    20170814_153607.jpg
    20170814_153614.jpg 20170814_153619.jpg
    Here's the end that got a bit mangled after I cleaned it up...
    20170814_153701.jpg
    20170814_153732.jpg
    I forgot to take a picture of the actual cock up.... ... sorry.

Though on the plus side; MAN GLITTER!
    20170814_154030.jpg

I also made a template today, its slightly off but I can fix the drawing once it's on the wood.

P.S. I am aware what a stupid idea wearing sandals in the shop is, it wont happen again.

Cheers folks!

Last edited: Aug 17, 2017
  10. Turbo2Pete

Turbo2Pete Junior Member

Reminds me of a Mosrite... You need to put metal in that headstock shape, so you can open your beer!

(....hrm, hope you don't take that as a knock - I like the design!)

11. Skyjerk

I like the body shape and what I assume will be bevels. Only thing that bugs me about it is it looks like the neck is off center through the body.
    In the upright position theres noticeably more body on the left side of the neck than the right. Feels off balance.
    Might not be noticeable when in playing position (horizontal)

12. kakerlak

kakerlak Senior Member

+1 Looks centered, starting from the bottom, but, as you move your eyes up the centerline, it starts looking skewed somewhere around the waist of the body. Also, it's got a Guild S-300 vibe to it.

13. Skyjerk

Yep. I think if the waist was cut in deeper on the left (bass) side and the top horn area reduced slightly in size it would alleviate the imbalance

14. kakerlak

kakerlak Senior Member

I was trying to decide whether that made sense vs. holding the bottom CL intersection and skewing the line off to the left to cut a different angle through the body (but that would still require some reworking of the cutaway area.)

15. JMT Guitars

I was actually going for an offset design! I assure you that imbalance is deliberate! I know some may not like it but I am trying to achieve an almost rickenbacker-esque style but I decided to give it a slightly enlarged lower bout to make it look more unique.

also, on the Guild S-300 (which I had never seen before)
    [​IMG]

I have got some done this week, got the body blank glued up and flattened the two faces (REALLY regretting buying roughsawn...) photos imminent. Can't do anymore until I get access to a band saw hopefully in a few days.
    Cheers Folks.

16. JMT Guitars

So photos. Cut two pieces of the plank, planed the joining sides until they fit flat together (sheesh rough sawn is no good unless you have the proper machinery to get it flat...) and then glued it with titebond. 20170822_163649.jpg
    20170822_163702.jpg
    20170822_171415.jpg
    20170822_171418.jpg 20170822_171433.jpg
    Now this will become the neck with plenty of cock up room!

20170822_171445.jpg
    Cheers Folks.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2017
    Who and Skyjerk like this.
  17. Skyjerk

Good policy. I always give myself cock-up room, because I'm still at a stage of my learning where cock-ups are...well...lets just say they are not uncommon ;)

18. JMT Guitars

No, no they are not uncommon! And you? Learning? anyone capable of producing that MASTERFULLY done Phoenix build is no longer a student! of course you never stop learning but that's the way of saying small tweaks make stuff better! Those pictures of the lacquer going on make me weak at the knees dude XD

Skyjerk likes this.
  19. Skyjerk

Thank you very much for the compliment :)

20. JMT Guitars

No problem! Mine isn't gonna be half as good...