The burst killer

Discussion in 'Vintage Les Pauls' started by mbowen, Jun 22, 2014.

1. geddy402

geddy402 Senior Member

Very cool! Thanks Mike for tracking down the info and posting the pics!

2 people like this.
  2. LowThudd

LowThudd Senior Member

Awesome, as always!

I loved seeing all the Trini Lopez pics also. I have heard they can be great players, sometimes not too pricey.

2 people like this.
  3. Greco

Greco Senior Member

Hi Mike, I didn't realise before but that old photo seems to be sat on top of the burst. Perhaps it is part of the "case candy" and well known to whoever own it now?

2 people like this.
  4. mbowen

mbowen Premium Member

You are 100% on.It is the burst case below -how cool.Thanks again for all your work.I can not say it on the other forum but i really like your replica work. Mike B.:applause:

2 people like this.
  5. mbowen

mbowen Premium Member

One of the things i did in my other thread -on LP Forum {i know some boo's }The Burst That Got away Thread was to tell Burst stories.I quit because some people did not like it even with the names changed.John who is a great member on the forums asked me to send him a Guitar Story .At first i said no i am done telling stories about the past but he was so nice that i gave in and wrote this one down. It is a Guitar story not about a burst .It is Jack's story.I hope you guys like it.Below is a 57 Strat i used to own with a 57 Gt.It is not the strat in the story but one of 4-5 1957 Strats i have owned.Every time i would get one i would think of Jack. I always think maybe i could have done more or been a better friend BUT---and life goes on.Jack i do think of you still after all these years when i play and look at a 1957 Fender Stratocaster.Thanks a lot guys and hope you like it Mike B.

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  6. mbowen

mbowen Premium Member

[​IMG]
    A Guitar Story Mike B.THIS IS A TRUE STORY BUT MY BAND-MATES NAME WAS NOT JACK.

5 people like this.
  7. 7gtop

7gtop Premium Member

Great Story tell!ng M.B. :applause:

1 person likes this.
  8. zhivago

zhivago Senior Member

What a story...I guess it is all about karma!

2 people like this.
  9. Greco

Greco Senior Member

Well I really enjoy these threads of yours too! Thanks that means a lot coming from someone like you. Cheers.

3 people like this.
  10. mbowen

mbowen Premium Member

You are more than welcome Take care and build on ,Mike B.:dude:

3 people like this.
  11. 7gtop

7gtop Premium Member

ahh.. the Hamilton Hangerz :applause:

These babiez awa!t their mates :thumb:

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  12. sgtsteiner

sgtsteiner Senior Member

Hey All -- sgtsteiner here

Mike asked me to add this revised/cleaned up version of his LPF story as he's having big-time computer issues. Below is Mike's DEFINITIVE VERSION. Really nice share. Enjoy!!

Back in 1970 or so I was in college. The band I was playing in was Tenderfoot, a country rock band, and we rented a cheap house in not the best area of town. I stayed there on weekends to practice and party. The other guitarist in the band -- let's call him Jack -- stayed there a lot since he fought with his mom whenever he was home.

One Saturday night, Jack comes running into the house with a Tweed guitar case. When I ask him what he's got, he opens it and suddenly we're both looking at a near-perfect 1957 Fender Strat. When I ask Jack where he found it, this is the story he tells me --

Jack had been out at his local bar and was finally walking home when a yellow Mustang Fastback blew by him really fast. Jack turned the corner and immediately heard it crash.

The Mustang was flipped on its roof about fifty yards up the road. The young driver was still strapped in by his seat belt and hanging upside-down. Jack asks if he's alright and the kid starts babbling something about a guitar. The guy was so out of it he could hardly, talk let alone drive. Jack looks in the back, the roof now serving as the floor, and there's this Tweed case. Being an industrious boy, Jack pulls it out and tells the driver he's going to get help. The he sprints back home, taking the guitar with him. But rather than go inside and call anybody, he drives straight to the band house instead.

Jack still hadn't seen what was inside the case until he opened in front of me. The guitar inside looked brand new -- the maple neck was still white and had all the tags with it. It was a wonderful guitar. We laid it out on the floor and just stared at it for a long while.

It was the first '50's Strat either of us had seen close up that way. Never could we have afforded such an instrument. It weighed under 7 lbs. and when we plugged her into a Blackfaced Super she rang like a bell. Immediately, I fell head-over-heels for the feel and sound of that Strat, and so did Jack.

After maybe half an hour going Strat-crazy, Jack tells me the story of the car wreck and how he got the guitar. I was a little stunned and asked him if he'd already called the cops. Jack tells no, the hell with it, I got what I wanted. Feeling bad for the kid in the car, and worrying that he might still be hurt and trapped inside there, I got all the info from Jack and anonymously called the police to report the accident.

The whole time Jack just kept playing the Strat, admiring his new guitar. After that day, I never felt quite the same about Jack.

Maybe six months later the band house was broken into. All that was taken was small stuff -- except for the '57 Strat. Jack always left his new prize (his "least expensive vintage guitar in the world," as he loved to brag) at the house so his parents wouldn't ask him where it came from. In a fitting twist of fate, his prize stolen possession had been stolen from him now. When it was Jack's loss, believe me, he didn't like it much. He actually cried when he realized the guitar was gone. I told him God was getting him back, to which Jack said he didn't believe in God.

Within a year of the robbery, we had to throw Jack out of the band. He'd always liked drugs, but unlike the rest of us, he'd progressed from weed and acid to horse. Before you knew it, he was missing practices and screwing up gigs because he was too high to play well. Basically, Jack left us no choice but to fire him. This was the only other time I ever saw him cry, and after that he left the band house for good.

I never saw Jack again. He overdosed and ended up dying maybe ten years later. But I'll never forget that day with the Tweed case, and my first holding and playing of a vintage maple-necked Strat. For that, I'll always thank him.

Often I wonder how much a part I played in Jack's demise by getting high on grass and pills with him. Did our partying together lead to his addiction and eventual death? Sometimes I feel like maybe I left Jack hurt in the car and didn't get him help, the same way he didn't help the drunk kid in the crashed Mustang. Funny how sometimes things seem to wrap back around that way.

That's the story of Jack and my first experience playing and falling in love with a vintage guitar. I couldn't possibly know it would lead to a life-long love affair with these guitars and a never-ending search for them, and at that time it certainly didn't occur to me that I might owe Jack a lot more than I ever gave him in return. -- Mike B.

6 people like this.
  13. 7gtop

7gtop Premium Member

:applause:

an0ther of M!ke's .... a Gil shot :thumb:

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

6 people like this.
  14. OBX351

OBX351 Senior Member

Just for $h!ts 'n giggles....nothing beats a burst except maybe a pair of '55 staples or possibly a '60 burst (far left)....the others sound pretty good too.

[​IMG]

I would also put this '64 up against most bursts....
    [​IMG]

And lastly....this '63 special would shock most people and maybe take down a burst or two...
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

8 people like this.
  15. 7gtop

7gtop Premium Member

some m0re from M.B.

Enjoy... :thumb:

[​IMG]

some Canad!an content ....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

7 people like this.
  16. mbowen

mbowen Premium Member

Some Guys say their original Rossington's will be Killers.# 113 Mike B.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6 people like this.
  17. mbowen

mbowen Premium Member

2 people like this.
  18. Tidewater

Tidewater Senior Member

lol I got busy working on my rig

Love that strat

2 people like this.
  19. mbowen

mbowen Premium Member

Miles how the heck are you.Getting ready to go out playing again.You said you are getting the rig ready.
    That 57 Gold Strat was amazing my friend Joe got it from Bruce Sandler -Old Brucie Baby who has had some killer guitars over the years.Joe sold that one to a Big Fender collector in Europe for a small fortune back in the day.I think he got 35-40K for that guitar -*30 years ago.It had all the tags and the bakelite was perfect on her.She weighted like a feather and sustained forever for a Strat.I wanted that guitar bad.Just could not pay that kind of money back in those days for any strat.Hope you are well Miles --call me if and when you want to shoot the breeze about guitars .Mike B.
    Another strat this one mine[photo at Vic's before i bought it from him] that i liked a 1964 Dakota with a bat for a neck and a feather --loved it traded it as i remember to Gil on a burst deal for 0-7615,along with a bunch of other guitars .Mike B.

[​IMG]

7 people like this.
  20. mbowen

mbowen Premium Member

Here is a burst that KILLS rather than a burst killer.A phenomenal 1959 Vic owned and sold .Love this top insanely deep,and irregular love it .Mike 9-1854
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13 people like this.