The Blackstar Club!!!

Discussion in 'The Squawk Box' started by GERRYGTR62, Jul 17, 2012.

1. chupe442

chupe442 Confused as ever..... Premium Member

MONTHS!?

Thats just silly talk!

2. SiriusAbbott

SiriusAbbott Senior Member

[​IMG]
    so.......new amp day,and a new old-stock amp day all in one.....my first Blackstar.an HT studio 20,and a Crate Blue Voodoo 6012.......i had to downsize my rig....no space for 4x12s:)

3. jordans0nly

jordans0nly Senior Member

Is that the regular Bernie? It's gorgeous.

4. redcoats1976

redcoats1976 Senior Member

still trying to decide if its better than my vox ac-15.im thinking about keeping my vibro champ XD for its clean,the blackstar for its dirt,and selling the vox.my living room is starting to look like an amp farm...

5. meatball

meatball Senior Member

I need to retube my HT20 Amp.... Any brand in particular other than what is suggested by Blackstar ,that you have had success with ? I will replace all tubes at one time ... where do you get your tubes from , what brand have you had teh best longevity and what is the sound quality like for you > can you tell the difference ? Details , man Details !!! :) :)

6. mmd

mmd Senior Member

Yes. I am the second owner - not sure what the pickups are, but the guitar sounds amazing and very violin like. I am curious to look once I change the strings....

7. jordans0nly

jordans0nly Senior Member

Awesome. Please look. I'm curious as well.

1 person likes this.
  8. WillieB

WillieB Senior Member

Here is my HT-5R. Love this thing. I now have no need to look for another amp, but I will anyway :cool:

Attached Files:

2 people like this.
  9. JoelW

JoelW Junior Member

So I joined the Blackstar club this week. Woooo! Ht-40 SE (So many pics already, I didn't really bother here) and can't stop playing it. So many posts to go through. I see a lot of you guys using a GE-7 in the loop. I have one from my old glory days that I started playing around with, but I just can't seem to get it right. Anyone have any settings tips for getting that more classic rock tone from it? Like ACDC/GNR style. I'm hoping to do a sort of "set it and forget it". Mainly i'm just looking to sort of smooth out the distortion a tad and liven up that boutique clean.

Oh, and I'm running a PRS SE zach myers with this rig. I have my trusty Les Paul studio, but i'm digging the semi-hollow at the moment.

1 person likes this.
  10. cherryles

cherryles Senior Member

The GE-7 is a great pedal and addition to any amp, for me i really just used 2 settings, 1st one is the "upside down smile", with a volume increase, great for solos as this boosts the mids and volume, 2nd setting i use is the "V", this is awesome for heavy metal type chugging and distortion chords as well as individual notes.

Just play around with it and see what tickles your fancy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. JoelW

JoelW Junior Member

Thanks a bunch! I used this as a sort of baseline and tweaked out a few things. Mainly I ended up reducing the bottom and boosting the highs. This semi-hollow is a lot chunky in the bass end than my Les Paul.

12. rem22

rem22 Senior Member

Wow, I also missed that topic !

I have a ht-5r and I like it a lot. I found the blackbird speaker kinda cold so after a lot of hesitation I replaced it with a Celestion Vintage 30. I've also replaced the original preamp tube (I believe it was a "ruby") by a tung sol gold pin. I could not say which of the speaker or the tube made the biggest change to the sound, but these 2 mods made it sound even better. A bit warmer and more vintage.

I love how the volume knob can change the sound, it's kinda magical ! And the guitar too, I have a SSS strat and it's very subtle and sparkle with a light crunch, while the LP will scream, at the same setting !

13. rem22

rem22 Senior Member

I've recently discovered a new setting with my blackstar...I completely roll off the tone knob on the guitar, and I use the gain knob to reach the sound I'm after, treble wise.

It gives a very nice and creamy lead tone...used this way I don't find the amp to have too much gain with a 12ax7

2 people like this.
  14. ehb

ehb Chief Discombobulator Premium Member

For any interested...

I pulled that dark ass POS Frisbee from hell Celestion Rocket 50 out of my 20W combo and dropped in an Emi Red Coat Series Private Jack.... Whole nudder amp!

With the Rocket in it, I had to turn the bass down very low that speaker was so dark and crank mids and highs any time I plugged any of my Lesters....

Sounds a lot better now....

1 person likes this.
  15. Dr. Pain

Dr. Pain Senior Member

GE-7 is a great pedal to have with a blackstar amp and so is an MXR 10 band eq. I run a KFK version in front of the amp to push it harder, which it does. I stuck it in the FX loop once and it frightened the life out of me. Made it so damn loud! :)

1 person likes this.
  16. ehb

ehb Chief Discombobulator Premium Member

Does anybody know the answer to the clean channel hum problem that seems to be common in Blackstar HT combos?

Mine has the hum... not bad though, but it is just on clean channel. Seen many comments about the clean channel hum.

I've changed the pre tubes... somebody said main tubes but I haven't seen any verification of that curing anything.

Googled hell out of it with no finite joy...

17. mikkolangot

mikkolangot Member

Is anybody here that has HT 40? I noticed when I got it that the clean channel is significantly louder than the overdrive channel by about a quarter on the knob. MY clean channel volume is around at 9 o clock position while the OD volume is around 12 o clock to balanced out the volume between the two. Is that normal? Or my pre-amp tube on OD channel needs to be replace?

18. cherryles

cherryles Senior Member

Where's your gain knob at?

19. mikkolangot

mikkolangot Member

just above 9 o clock, I'd say between 9-10 o clock

20. cherryles

cherryles Senior Member

I used to have the ht 40 but not anymore, unfortunately.

Can't remember there been a huge difference between the 2 channels in terms of volume alone, you do realize that technically, there's actually 4 channels because of the 2 voicing buttons?

Perhaps it is what you suspect, a tube, lots of guys on here who know all about that stuff sure to help, goodluck. great amp by the way :cool: