The Bear has a Helix!

Discussion in 'Amp Modeling' started by matthew bear, Oct 3, 2017.

1. matthew bear

matthew bear Senior Member

And so far it's pretty promising, actually! I'm getting used to the layout and such but I think it'll do quite nicely :thumb:

I think the higher gain sound is better than my kemper (well, some of the kemper profiles) due to the user error of micing a cab being eliminated... I think some of my profiles have mic distortion coming through or something. Overall, I think it'll be a fun week ahead!

2. mmd

mmd Senior Member

Killer!! Hope you enjoy it as much as I do :D

3. matthew bear

I am digging it, it's much easier to get good sounds from than my brief time with other line 6 stuff. I may start throwing up some quick videos tomorrow as a total newb just to demonstrate the you don't have to know much to get started.

mmd and Donal like this.
  4. matthew bear

I think there may be less menu diving than the kemper in some ways :hmm:

pretty straight forward :thumb:

mdubya, Donal and El Pablo like this.
  5. Splattle101

Splattle101 V.I.P. Member

What amp are you playing it through?

6. matthew bear

I have QSC PA speakers that I use.

mdubya, Pop1655 and Splattle101 like this.
  7. matthew bear

A video for spattle... I remembered the question about dual amping from the other thread, so I slapped this together this morning. no EQ editing, no fancy anything. just stock amps and stock cabs. though it's not a marshall (I can't remember the specific marshall you had mentioned, sorry!) it's an idea what you can do... I also don't know how to use this yet, it's really as raw as possible. I think it speaks to the improvment of the tech that I don't have to know how to do anything to get a passible sound :)

mdubya and Splattle101 like this.
  8. matthew bear

I also realized I could assign a footswitch for the amps, so I can cancel either one or play both at the same time... channel switching and channel blending all at your feet, too cool!
    this may be a good foundation for my sound,(whowatt and tweed) once I get some boost and delay going :hmm:

honestly, I don't think the kemper has any magic power over this, amp sound wise... I'm kinda shocked!

mdubya likes this.
  9. matthew bear

I've assigned a delay and reverb to the who watt path, and left the tweed path bare, it's pretty rad to use the tweed amp as a overdrive of sorts, sounds huge!

I'll post a video once I'm done refining this preset

10. Rocco Crocco

Rocco Crocco Senior Member

But how can it sound good without tubes???

/purple.

11. frankv

frankv What Are You Waiting For? Premium Member V.I.P. Member

It cant. MB is out of his mind..
    hahahahaah

12. matthew bear

Actually, I put a valve in my ass every time I plug in... that's why it sounds like ass!

:laugh2:

13. MusicLaw

MusicLaw Senior Member

Quick Tip: Press the Parameter's Knob (for example the Amp's Master Volume) to revert to the default value setting. You may have already known this. If not it comes in really handy for most of the Parameters. Also don't overlook digging into Pedal Edit Mode which is brilliant!

matthew bear likes this.
  14. matthew bear

Will do! I don't know how to use this thing yet, so I'm welcoming any tips for sure!

MusicLaw likes this.
  15. James R

James R Premium Member

You can also assign each parameter to a footswitch.
    Example:
    You would like to use the whowatt clean, but also use it as it's breaking up.
    Push in and turn the gain knob at the same time, the numbers will turn white and have brackets around them.
    Hit footswitch assign (or something to that effect, not in front of my Helix right now) and pick a footswitch.
    It will ask you for a minimum and maximum value.
    Set it to clean for minimum value and breakup for maximum value.
    Now when you hit that switch, you'll go from clean to breakup, kind of like a 2 channel amp.

Here's where it gets cool.
    You'll probably notice a volume difference now that you have the gain set differently every time you hit the switch.
    Go to the master or channel volume and do the same thing that you did with the gain parameter, and set it to the same switch.
    Now every time you hit the switch, the gain and volume parameters are both changing with one click.
    You can do this with every parameter of every amp or pedal, which is nuts.
    They have a cap of how many parameter changes can be stored in a single preset, but I haven't hit it yet, and I mess around with that stuff quite a bit.

fleahead, MusicLaw and matthew bear like this.
  16. matthew bear

Damn James, that's rad!!! I'm exited to try it and keep my tweed amp as a super boost :laugh2: I knew this thing could do a lot on paper, but when it's on your desk it's another story altogether!

MusicLaw and James R like this.
  17. cherrysunburst00

cherrysunburst00 Senior Member

Cool! CONGRATS and ENJOY

matthew bear likes this.
  18. MusicLaw

MusicLaw Senior Member

If you're so inclined, browse the Helix 2.0 User Manual PDF! The document is available for download from Line 6's site. The User Manual PDF is also provided on the USB stick shipped with each new Helix. The latest User Manual is 2.0, dated July 2016. Line 6 has stated that they update the User Manual only for full interger versions. Thus, it will not be updated until Helix Core (firmware) version 3.0 is released (likely to be) some time next year. None of the new features, enhancements, nor improvements introduced in any firmware releases since July 2016 are covered in the Helix 2.0 User Manual! For these details you must read the Release Notes for each release subsequent to July 2016, and there have been several. These Release Notes are most easily found on HelixHelp.com. They are published on Line 6's site, however, they are burried amongst the acutal firmware releases page and not easy to find.

matthew bear likes this.
  19. matthew bear

Am I crazy?!? I really like the line 6 DOOM amp! it's good with the 4x12 with greenbacks...

Metal all day!!!! DOOM!!!!! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1ONE

Rhust, Splattle101 and alstev like this.
  20. AllTheSound

AllTheSound Premium Member

Congrats on the Helix! It's such a amazingly powerful tool you will never get bored with it :)