The Bass Thread

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by Benjammin, Nov 21, 2010.

1. Benjammin

Benjammin Senior Member

I've noticed there a quite a few members around here who play or own basses, I've seen a few calls for an actual bass section, maybe this thread can become a unofficial bass section. Feel free to post pics, discuss gear, techniques, tone. Newbies or people interested in bass, ask all the questions you want, I don't claim to be an expert, but I have gotten lots of good info from members on MLP (Wreckingball, BMS, Leumas, Coldsteal2) hopefully they will stop by and chime in :thumb:

Just bought this baby on Friday, a Geddy Lee Jazz bass. Took me a few months to narrow down which style and which model I wanted, but it was well worth it

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I've been renting one of these Ampeg Micro VRs for a while, and really like it. It is very close to that tone that I am used to hearing on so many of my favorite recordings. At 200w it has a decent amount of power, I jammed with some people last week and the amp had no problem keeping up with the drums and guitar. It feels a bit chincy though compared to "real" amps, I dont know how sturdy/reliable it will be. I'm very curious about the Orange Bass Terror, but I can never try one out, everytime my local store gets one in stock, it sells in literally 24 hours. I was playing a nice Mesa Boogie M9 Carbine when I was trying out the Geddy, it had great tone, a bit pricey though, it would take me a while to afford that, I'm wanting to buy something now that I can use now, so I may go with the Ampeg as a practice amp until I can get more money together (I'm not in a band right now anyways, so I dont really need a gig-worthy rig just yet)

[​IMG]

BUDOKAI, planks, MRJ and 3 others like this.
  2. Tuesday'sGone

Tuesday'sGone Senior Member

great idea. I'm all for a bass thread. I've been a bass player all my life with a guitarist syndrome. I have finally come to the understanding that I'm a bassist not a guitarist. But I still love to play the guitar.:thumb:

3. Benjammin

Benjammin Senior Member

I'm the opposite, I've been playing guitar for 11 years, I'd played bass many times and never really felt into it. But several months ago I thought it might be a good idea to buy one, just to have around, for home recordings, or having friends over whatever. Working out bass parts for songs I'd written on guitar, was like an epiphany, I suddenly realized the difference between playing bass and playing guitar, within the structure of a band, in the context of a song. And I started to really enjoy it on that level, in some cases, the bass parts really give the song a new edge and depth (beyond just a riff or sme chords) Now I practice bass primarily, but whenever I pick up a guitar I feel like a fish returning to water, it is much more 2nd nature for me. But I like the challenge of learning a new instrument, one day when I am as fluent on bass as I am on guitar, I will be pretty proud of myself

4. Shane

Shane Senior Member

I'm more of a bassist than a guitarist. Took to it much more rapidly and have turned into a bassist, though I was always a pretty useless guitarist. Here's the only shot of my bass I could find quickly, it's a Cort B4. It has Bartolini Pick Ups and preamp. Half looking at changing it for something with passive electronics but I do love the feel of the bass.

Here it is in a blurry shot

[​IMG]

5. Benjammin

Benjammin Senior Member

Looks nice :thumb: Ive read good things about Cort, but nowhere near me stocks them. Is it possible to put passive pickups in place of the actives? (though it's always fun to have more instruments too :D)

6. Custom53

Custom53 Senior Member

I'm not a bass player, hell I'm barely a guitar player...! But I do like to play every now and then...

A few of mine...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Benjammin likes this.
  7. cynic79

cynic79 Senior Member

I started playing about a year after taking up the guitar, and I was the bassist for several bands in high school and college. I took a seven year break from being in a live band after moving to DC for law school and work, but I just started playing with a punk band. The music is irreverent and fun, and it's great to play out again (Although I had to bail on a gig in Baltimore last night because it got moved from 9am to midnight. Hated to do it, but I'm flying to Florida this morning with my newborn son and needed the sleep).

I've played the same rig all this time: MIJ Fender Precision Bass into a 100 watt Carvin bass head and Peavey 1x15 cabinet. The Carvin has a great loud, clean tone, and the Peavey roughens it up enough to cover rock tones. Depending on the style of music, I'll play with my fingers or a pick.

I put these stickers on when I was 17, and I've been meaning to take them off for years:
    [​IMG]

This has been my trusty steed for years, and it is the one instrument I own that I would never contemplate selling.

8. cynic79

cynic79 Senior Member

I've also got a Danelectro Longhorn that I use for recording, but which is not punchy enough to keep up with a loud rock band. Great for acoustic stuff though.

[​IMG]

9. Benjammin

Benjammin Senior Member

thats some killer gear for a non bass player :laugh2: Those Acousic rigs must be alot of fun. Have you tried any of the newer Acoustic stuff? I've read alot of good things, but there not available in Canada (to my knowledge) I would have to order one blind from MF.

that 12 string must be a bitch to tune :laugh2:

10. Leumas

Leumas Senior Member

Thanks for the name-check there, Ben. :thumb: I've been playing the guitar for 17 years :shock:, the drums off and on for 15 :shock:, and the bass seriously since 2004. You're right on saying it forces you to understand a tune from a different angle, I spend a lot of time crafting bass parts. Here's a few shots...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EByWSVolvBg]YouTube - Christmas Love - Renard Cohen and Friends[/ame]

11. Benjammin

Benjammin Senior Member

Which Carvin do you have? I was looking at some of those too, their 2000w head though :lol:

12. Benjammin

Benjammin Senior Member

cool song, one of these days I will get one of those Beatle basses too :dude: I like the giant cowboy hat too, reminds me of Dumb and Dumber :laugh2:

13. Leumas

Leumas Senior Member

Halloween show, man, halloween show. :laugh2: Love the Geddy Lee by the way...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Benjammin

Benjammin Senior Member

:laugh2::laugh2:

15. C Squared

C Squared Senior Member

There should be some sort of Bass section here. So many of us have them, are interested in them, gig with them, record with them, and tinker with them.

Mods: Hook us up???

16. Benjammin

Benjammin Senior Member

And really, there are Gibson Les Paul basses, SG (EB-3s) various other Gibson and Epiphone basses, and other companies that make LP bass knockoffs. It does seem relevant

17. Benjammin

Benjammin Senior Member

thanks :thumb: I'm really stoked about it. Because it was a signature, and for an artist I dont follow, I didnt really consider it, but I liked the look and tried it out, and it was everything I was looking for

18. Frankie A.

Frankie A. Senior Member

. . speaking of Les Paul bass . . I started on guitar, switched to bass a few years later, and been playing both in bands since the 60's. This is what I was playing until a year ago since going back to guitar again !

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Benjammin likes this.
  19. CheopisIV

CheopisIV Copper Slinger MLP Vendor

Mmmmm Bass! I had a Cort 6 string about 10 years ago, but it weighed close to 1000 lbs so I traded it off before I ever gave it much of a chance. Had a 16" nut on it too, so the neck was not comfortable. Now I have this, but I dream of a Musicman Stingray now and again...

This baby is hot! Crazy loud and hard on small amps. The tonal abilities are insane too, it can sound like anything you want with the actives. Very comfortable to play.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

marson likes this.
  20. Benjammin

Benjammin Senior Member

Good stuff guys, I knew there had to be more bass players out there :thumb:

That LP bass looks great :wow: