The Band - Progress

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by Platte City Paul, Sep 17, 2017.

1. Platte City Paul

Platte City Paul Senior Member

Well, dang. I joined a real band for the first time a few weeks ago. We've had two practices and are practicing again tomorrow. I played in a few one-offs and chapel bands (waiting to get struck by lightning, of course) while deployed to Iraq and Afghanistan, but this is a long term thing I think.

Dang if I'm not on line to take a few solos, to include Highway to Hell and Shooting Star. (For the second one, there are a lot of fills at the end of the song while Paul Rogers is getting his "nah nah naaaah nah nah naaaaah naaahs" on, but I'll get them down. That's a big step for a guy who mostly banged around on an acoustic up until a few years ago.

My trusty ebony 2008 Trad with the Jonesy Blues harness is my go-to guitar, and I reckon I'm going to push this for all it's worth. I love this guitar. I also have a '94, but even with a pick-up swap and re-wire, that one never has sounded like I want it to. I'm bummed, because it's a gorgeous plain top sunburst. Maybe I'll try a third set of pickups... ;)

51 and chasing youthful dreams of rock and roll. Who knew?

Anyway, loads of you all are out all the time playing in front of folks and crushing it. I hope to follow in your steps. If we get to the point where we video anything, I'll put it up here.

There is no point to this thread other than to say if you are on the fence about playing with other folks because you think you aren't good enough, get off the fence. It's a lot of fun.

2. Howard2k

Howard2k Premium Member

Awesome.

Just heading down that path too. It's a blast. Sometimes difficult to agree on songs because we all have so many great ideas, but it's so much fun. Ideally I'd like to see us do more bluesy stuff, right now we're doing more rock. But I can't complain, it's been incredibly challenging and incredibly fun.

We added a vocalist, was the drummer doing vocals in the past, and it's funny that the new vocalist doesn't see me as a total beginner. I still preface songs with "might be beyond my skill level, but I'll give it a shot" but the new vocalist is under the illusion that I'm somewhat competent.

Really great experience. I wish I had more time to invest learning songs, that's the frustrating part. But I've progressed in leaps and bounds already.

3. Sct13

Sct13 Premium Member

Awesome! Keep jamming!

I learned Midnight Rambler for tomorrow's practice...I play bass in this band, but I went ahead and learned the guitar parts....

Platte City Paul likes this.
  4. Malikon

Malikon 仮面ライダー V.I.P. Member

playing with other people is how you grow.

Seriously. Playing alone with backing tracks eventually you'll hit a wall. Real people push you (and you push yourself), while backing tracks are just backing tracks.

It can be something as simple as the drummer started the song too fast, and now you're holding on for the ride trying to keep up. That's not going to happen with a backing track. You're being pushed.

Then there's just band interaction. Or 'the looks' you give each other on stage that say, "Solo now?" "don't solo now" "come in now?" "don't come in now?"

...there's all kinds of 'looks' you give each other that say different things. Backing tracks don't do that.

5. Platte City Paul

Platte City Paul Senior Member

Well, we just had practice again today. We're slowly working out who plays where on all the songs. I'm actually playing the solos on:

Highway to Hell (AC/DC) (I'm playing the opening riff too - I have to work on my muting. :mad2:)
    Remedy (Black Crowes)
    Shooting Star (Bad Company)
    Hard to Handle (2nd solo at the close of the song)

The other songs we've worked or are working up so far are:
    Mustang Sally (Wilson Picket) (No comments... ;) )
    Cheap Sunglasses (ZZ Top)
    Hot Blooded (Foreigner)

Progress, man. We're making progress. :)

Howard2k likes this.
  6. Howard2k

Howard2k Premium Member

Fantastic. I'm learning the outro solo to Hard to Handle currently too. Great fun song. Looking forward to our next band practice to try it out!

Platte City Paul likes this.