the AX8 has landed

Discussion in 'Amp Modeling' started by mdubya, Apr 25, 2017.

1. frankv

frankv What Are You Waiting For? Premium Member V.I.P. Member

Have you tried any of the FAS created amps that do not exhist in the "real" world... I love that "real" adjective.. As if the sound coming from my speakers wasn't real... hahahah

mdubya likes this.
  2. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

I am not even sure what I am playing, sometimes! :rofl: I think I have tried one of the clean models. But I am still discovering new stuff every week. I have never even plugged my laptop into it. I just use the UI and lots of googling. I seem to spend a lot of time proving to myself that I can get some tone or another that I hear somewhere else; Tweed Princeton, Super Reverb, Marshall 2061, etc.

Last week I added a big hall reverb to the Tweed Champ. Talk about a model you could get lost in, with some tremolo, drive, phase, fuzz, guitar volume and tone. :shock: You can go from rock-a-billy to surf, to psychedelia, to hard rock, to garage rock, to jazz, to classical and then some, all on one model.

One of these days, I will dig deep into the fuzzes. I want to create a Coloursound Overdriver from one of the drives. The Rat is almost there, as far as that goes.

I only use the term "real" for fun; it differentiates between the actual amp and the simulation.

Between different guitars and pickups and volume and treble controls, amp models, cabinet sims, etc...the possibilities are truly endless.

I love playing with some of the multi-delay fx. It is like having a looper which follows whatever you play. You are always in key, no matter what you do. It is cool.

I want to get into some of the synth sounds, too. Never touched them...so far.

frankv likes this.
  3. frankv

OMG, AXE Edit is equally why the AXE is so good. Do it.. You are missing so much

mdubya likes this.
  4. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

I'm too busy playing. :)

5. cybermgk

cybermgk Singin' the body lectric Premium Member V.I.P. Member

YES, get Axe Edit.!!!!!!!!!!!

As Frank says, it is one area that Fractal is way ahead of the others.

But even so, just from a standpoint of picking Presets to use, it is nice to have. At home, I always have the laptop and AE up and running when using the Axe. You can search by amp model, names, you name it. Nice to manage and organize your preset banks too. Say you have 5, 10 that you play all the time. Well, use Axe edit and Fractal bot, to save all the other presets, and setup what you do use.

BUT, what it is really good for is setting up your own presets (drag and drop) or tweaking some of the parameters of the amp block, or fx blocks. That is where all the power of the device is.

frankv and mdubya like this.
  6. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

I kept saying I would plug the Mustang into the laptop when I needed to. I never needed to. :dunno:

I only make very slight adjustments to the stock models and save those adjustments. I have learned how to add or change blocks via the UI. Again, I don't change much, just add Tremolo or Phaser to a model which doesn't have one or the other.

One of the drawbacks of the Mustang 1 was there was no UI. The AX8 has a UI, fidgety and finicky though it might be. It does all I need, for now.

For the purposes of this thread, I think it is good to know that changes and edits can be made without being harnessed to a laptop or pc.

frankv likes this.
  7. cybermgk

cybermgk Singin' the body lectric Premium Member V.I.P. Member

Oh for sure. And you can do without Axe Edit.

But then, it is very easy to use, and is so nice as well.

mdubya likes this.
  8. frankv

M... Believe me, you will see yet another level of incredible when you start using AXE EDIT

mdubya likes this.
  9. ttbit

ttbit Senior Member

Impressive. I have had this thing for about a year and still can't figure out how to do anything on the unit itself. Plus, the lights blind me. The knobs are GREAT though, and I do use those. I know little about old classic amps, to be honest, but I was able create the sound that was in my head with Axe-Edit without much issue. Believe me, if you are making changes on the box, Axe-Edit will be super easy for you. :)

10. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

It is kind of funny that they made the UI so complicated to use. It almost seems like it would have been easier to design one that is more simple and easy to use. :dunno:

11. frankv

If you want or need some lessons on AXE EDIT. I can do a remote with you. You are really missing out on the greatest piece of music related software ever written.

mdubya likes this.
  12. Pwrmac7600

Pwrmac7600 Premium Member

I honestly don't think I have ever even touched the buttons on the unit itself with the exception of setting my initial input levels. I do everything through axe edit. Much more efficient. But I also use a lot of third party irs and managing them through the units interface would be a pain in the ass.

Rhust and mdubya like this.
  13. ttbit

ttbit Senior Member

Yes. Frank has remoted into my PC before and helped me out a tremendously! Take advantage!

BTW, hey Frank. Hope you had no issues with the storm!

14. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

I appreciate that Frank, and I may just take you up on the offer. :thumb:

So far, I simply haven't needed AXE EDIT. I have watched plenty of videos where it is used, and I think I would do fine with it.

But, so far, I have been able to make all the edits I want to make via the UI. I've been able to add the looper, add FX, activate and deactivate FX, assign FX to footswitches, edit and change amp blocks, etc. I haven't felt the need for third party IR or models.

Since I work as a software tester, trying to figure out how to make things works is something I am used to. But even professionally, I do need some guidance once in awhile! :D

Luckily, the answer to almost everything has been right there via Google search (IT 101).

You guys did me the biggest service by alerting me that the bass cut needs to be raised on pretty much every cab block. That has made the biggest, most positive improvement to my Fractal modeling experience. Knowing you guys are here almost 24 hours a day, with answers, or pointing in the right direction, is the best help desk anyone could want. :thumb: :dude:

frankv likes this.
  15. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

I am truly happy with what is already there in the AX8. One of these days, I will get into 3rd party models and IRs (maybe). But I always said that about the Mustang and never did it, and I remained perfectly happy with the M1 until its switch broke.

frankv likes this.
  16. ttbit

ttbit Senior Member

And the high cut for me also. It is amazing what a difference that makes!

mdubya likes this.
  17. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

What do you adjust the hi-cut to?

18. frankv

Lost power. Ran my generator. Had 4 trees go down. Lost 2 weeks of work. Other then that, all is well. Thanks man.

ttbit and mdubya like this.
  19. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

Tough sledding. Glad you are well.

frankv likes this.
  20. ttbit

ttbit Senior Member

Sorry...was out of town and got behind on email notifications. :) In the cab section, I cut the high frequencies down. I'll have to look at what I set it to, but maybe somewhere around 7.5k...maybe. It made a real difference. I was getting some peaky stuff that was bothering my ears that I actually wasn't detecting consciously as much as it was giving me a headache.

mdubya and Rhust like this.