the AX8 has landed

Discussion in 'Amp Modeling' started by mdubya, Apr 25, 2017.

1. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

It might just be my setup with the Alto TX8. It sounds OK. It sounds better when I turn it up a bit. I have a kind of peculiar approach to some of these things. Everyone always like more drive and gain than I do, but then I stack a fuzz and and OD together for near sonic chaos, and nobody else seems to like that too much, either. :laugh2: But that is my scene.

I do want to figure out a solution for the TX8, though. It is not flat response and I think a studio monitor or two might be a better solution than the powered speaker. The TX8 also has bass ports. You can hear and feel them working. But I think that might be part of the problem. :hmm:

cybermgk likes this.
  2. tzd

tzd Senior Member

The AX8 will soon be getting Quantum 8 Firmware with Clapton's 5F1

Err, no. I have the Equator D5 monitors. Sounds great playing CD's. But sounds quite bad playing the AX8 through it. I'm trying to sell it actually.

Get the QSC K8 or K10 (now being blown out at a good price), or wait for the new K8.2.

mdubya and matthew bear like this.
  3. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

I am getting some good tones today. I really like the 1959 SLP model. On its own, it is straight up AC/DC.

All the guys that build presets and demo this model on youtube turn it into an 80's metal model. :eek: nttawwt. [​IMG]

I changed the TS808 OD to a Tape Distortion/EP Booster. Gives a nice boost for AC/DC leads. It is a little bit warm and fuzzy and compressed, which I like. With the Tape Echo engaged, it can do Hendrix and Dazed and Confused quite nicely.

It should be said that I never try to get someone's tone or a song's tone exact. That is not for me. I just get a couple of tones that work.

I will post some tone clips, eventually. But I have to say, learning the new box and finding my comfort zone has distracted me from concentrating on practice or even thinking about what I want to play.

I am not sure today's tones are groundbreaking, or world class, but they are making me happy and making me want to play. That's what it's all about, for me. :)

cherrysunburst00 and frankv like this.
  4. cybermgk

cybermgk Singin' the body lectric Premium Member V.I.P. Member

That's all it NEEDS to be about.

mdubya likes this.
  5. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

Is the QSC flat response? It sounds better than the Alto TS 210 (cheap!).

I can live with the TX8 for now, but would like to get a lot closer to the flat sound I hear through my headphones.

I will take all the advice and explanation I can get! :cheers:

6. matthew bear

matthew bear Senior Member

IMG_1658.JPG QSC K8!!!! they are really good, and of course being blown out as previously mentioned. I got my second one and like 3 days later the new version is announced (which is 2000 watts instead of 1000 watts)... Probably coulda saved some coin if I had waited another week!

This works pretty well for me!

Last edited: Apr 27, 2017
    frankv and mdubya like this.
  7. tzd

tzd Senior Member

In my research I spent a lot of time digging up frequency response curves. I could never find the graphs for the QSC K series speakers. I asked a question regarding frequency response curves somewhere else on this forum. Freddy G said they mean nothing, trust your ears. If Freddy says it, that's good enough for me. I went with my ears and they chose the K8.

(A quick segway here - I did find the curves for Yamaha DXR8 and DXR10. The DXR10 curve is pretty flat, but the DXR8 was all over the place! Perhaps that's why those who went with Yamaha all went with the DXR10 and nobody ever mentions the DXR8)

I never tried the Alto TS210 as I was looking specifically for 8". You should certainly try it; you can get it from Guitar Center if you have one nearby and easily return it if it does not work out.

matthew bear likes this.
  8. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

Excellent. I like that reply; trust your ears. I am good with that.

Having the 2 of you endorse the QSC is good, too. :thumb:

I am seeing the QSC K8 @ $549, does that sound right?

9. matthew bear

matthew bear Senior Member

that's a hundred bucks less that they were a couple weeks ago, not too shabby! granted there were good deals here and there, but 649 was the typical figure.

mdubya likes this.
  10. frankv

frankv What Are You Waiting For? Premium Member V.I.P. Member

You want to start thinking XiTone. Really.. I mean trust me on that. It will change everything you hear.. Instantly. All your bass tones will be back in full glory

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 27, 2017
    AmpedUp and mdubya like this.
  11. Pop1655

Pop1655 Premium Member

......and I'm very excited for you M!
    Hope to follow in your footsteps in a similar way shortly.
    Enjoy!!!!

mdubya likes this.
  12. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

Oh, I AM thinking about it. :hmm: :thumb:

And I do trust what you say, Frank. :cheers:

I am just wrestling with $900+ vs $250 for an Alto. I can sit tight on this one for a while. I can live with my current setup and I have more than enough to entertain me/challenge me for some time. Clarity will come. And it will probably cost me $900. :doh:

frankv likes this.
  13. Pwrmac7600

Pwrmac7600 Premium Member

Hey I resemble that comment!:thumb:

mdubya likes this.
  14. Pwrmac7600

Don't worry, as you get comfortable with the unit, that will go away. When I first got my xe I spent way more time tweaking then I did actually playing, but in time that went away. now I can dial up a tone that is great for me in minutes, and just rock out!

mdubya likes this.
  15. Pwrmac7600

I run my Axe FX through a pair of AdamA7X's and I Love the tone I get. Plenty of Low end, and very even sounding monitors.
    Granted I do mostly recording and not loud volume playing, but to my ears they sound phenomenal, and they seem to translate very accurately to my recordings.

frankv and mdubya like this.
  16. cherrysunburst00

cherrysunburst00 Senior Member

I dig that

mdubya likes this.
  17. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

The honeymoon is still going strong.

There are several models, that, with the effects available, I could just about live with as a one and only model. Of course, there is no need for that, but they are that good.

Through headphones, the AX8 is off the charts. Glorious. I need to work on the live, in the room, sound, but even that is more than acceptable. The Alto TX8 will need to go, if for no other reason than the AX8 deserves better.

I stuck my new AstroCat Rangemaster in front of the AX8 with particularly good results. The Badger 18 is the model of the day. Sounds so good...I can't even...:oops:

Liam, ttbit, cybermgk and 1 other person like this.
  18. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

I had a chance to grab any, or all, of my traditional amps the other day. It was tempting. But as I stood there staring at them, all I could think was that I was more than all set with the AX8. Couldn't wait to get back to play it.

There's nothing wrong with any of those amps, and I could revert to playing them, no problem. But the AX8 really has it all, and then some. It really is so much fun to play every time. I was doing ridiculous things with the Princeton model earlier, and I just finished up a session going from Orange Citrus to Dual Rec Vintage to Badger 18. I am still gobsmacked with this entertaining little box.

cybermgk likes this.
  19. cybermgk

cybermgk Singin' the body lectric Premium Member V.I.P. Member

That's why I sold most of mine off. They just sat there, doing nothing, collecting dust and depreciating.

mdubya likes this.
  20. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

I am not quite there yet, but can certainly understand. I was kind of surprised by my decision. I was literally there to take the Champ with me, just for fun.