the AX8 has landed

Discussion in 'Amp Modeling' started by mdubya, Apr 25, 2017.

1. Pwrmac7600

Pwrmac7600 Premium Member

Hey, I notice someone added a tag to this thread, how did you do that?

mdubya likes this.
  2. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

I was able to do it when I started the thread. :thumb:

3. frankv

frankv What Are You Waiting For? Premium Member V.I.P. Member

Really.. Well tell me then, you seem to know me so well. You know absolutely nothing about me. Educate me.. Only don't do it here. I don't want to ruin this exciting thread on M.

4. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

Everyone likes photos, yeah?

[​IMG]

So today I was struggling with a guitar which wasn't cooperating (hot, cool, humidity, heat on one minute, a/c the next...:mad2: ). But I plugged the 'Bird back in and picked up where I left off.

2 major points of frustration:

1. The stock drive pedals with the models were making the old school low-fi amps I love, sound like modern, produced and processed generica, to me. And they were/are too loud compared to the un-effected model.
    2. The USB line out from the AX8 isn't one I have a cable for (they should include the cable on a piece of kit which all but requires a computer connection for editing, especially at $1300 :oops: ).
    Seriously, none of this is the end of the world, just frustrating.

My solution was multifaceted.

1. Figure out how to use the UI in the AX8 itself without the laptop (too lazy to drive to the store :p )
    2. Plug in the Maestro to see how it played and sounded with the models I like the most.
    3. Once able to edit, try to match the pedal models to the Maestro or at least a/b them until I could come up with something I like/makes me happy.
    Cutting to the chase, I was able to do most of the above, short of tone matching the Maestro, exactly.

I tweaked the TS808 (I have the real thing laying on the floor right next to the AX8) on the 5F1 model more to my liking. Conveniently, the settings I like on the real pedal closely matched the settings on the AX8. Now I just need to figure out how to add a second pedal (Clean/dirty/lead :headbanger: )

On the Tweed Deluxe (my favorite model on the Mustang!) I was able to tweak away at the two drive pedals on that model to get real close to something I like; super low-fi fuzzy drive in two flavors (Tone Bender and Treble Boost) that are way over the edge, off-the-cliff, semi-out-of-control, when stacked. Just the way I like it.

This is all good news! Not even the tip of the iceberg, but a start for wading my way in.

I have lots of reading and experimenting to do, and a proper USB cable on my shopping list.

But even just today I learned to edit things using the AX8 UI and I figured out how to use the tuner! The tuner is vital, of course. The looper is on my short list.

I also plugged in my headphones. The AX8 doesn't have a dedicated 'phones out (wtf?!?!? :rolleyes: ) but work fine with the regular 1/4" out (need a Y cable for stereo :rolleyes: ). The headphones reveal the shortcomings of the Alto TX8. It does sound OK, but I can see me trying some alternatives out. The Alto sounds better than the Mustang ever did. And just like the Mustang, the headphones reveal the true potential.

Right now I am doing a lot of my playing with the 'phones on one ear and listening to the Alto with the other. :lol: Not a bad setup actually. :)

5. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

I noticed I am able to add more tags, too, via an "edit" button.

6. Pwrmac7600

Pwrmac7600 Premium Member

I guess I only the thread creator can add tags.

mdubya likes this.
  7. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

That's what I was curious about. I added a special Pwrmac tag. :lol:

Pwrmac7600 likes this.
  8. ttbit

ttbit Senior Member

You missed that point!? :) That is a big one for some. I use my 2i4 in monitor mode for headphones, however, I did buy the ROLLS unit recommended on their forum for headphone use and it works fine as well. The output was distorted as hell with just using headphones on the line out. It depends on the impedance of your headphones whether that will work well or not.

Headphones out seems like a logical add, to me.

mdubya likes this.
  9. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

I did miss that point. As a matter of fact, I was sure it had a headphones line out. Oops. My 'phones sound really good through the 1/4" out, so far.

10. ttbit

ttbit Senior Member

Glad they work for you. I have not found a set of headphones I really like yet. I use them for very short intervals.

frankv likes this.
  11. Pop1655

Pop1655 Premium Member

Certainly not my intent.
    Truth is, he couid have listed any other amp and I wouldn't have flinched.
    I'm just an admitted ST fan boy and don't think they ever belong in these discussions. There may be some flawed logic there, but that's the way I feel.
    Too much love goes into em.

frankv and cherrysunburst00 like this.
  12. tzd

tzd Senior Member

Do you have a computer at home that is connected to a printer by a cable? Unless that printer is ancient, it will likely be the same USB cable that you can use.

13. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

I am paperless. Good info on the cable type, though. :yesway: Now I know what I am looking for. I am not exactly a technology luddite. I have several cables in my travel bag. Just not one like that. :p

ETA: USB 2.0 Type B, it looks like.

ttbit likes this.
  14. frankv

But it's the Soul Tramp that M mentioned. So in this case the point was he heard the model inside his AX8 and realized why I sold the Soul Tramp. That would be the extent of it. It has nothing and had nothing to do with the fact that Don builds great amps. I should know right? He built a custom one for me. Again, I DO NOT speak from a point of reference that (i heard it on the internet) I actually owned one. Spent $1400 on it at a discounted price. Did it sound fantastic. YES.. Was it a duplicate of what I had inside the AXE. YES.

It's main purpose was to be a Grab and Go. When I realized that I could easily grab a powered 1 12 and the AXE.. Buying the Soul Tramp was not necessary. But I did find that out first hand.

mdubya likes this.
  15. cybermgk

cybermgk Singin' the body lectric Premium Member V.I.P. Member

Remember the Ax8 was meant to be a more live rig, than the Axe FX (which has a headphone dedicated output). It was aimed at performing musicians.

mdubya and frankv like this.
  16. cybermgk

Hmm, I don't have that issue with my Axe FX on both accounts.

17. cybermgk

Pretty certain, it was more a statement about how damn good Fractal is at making models that sound and play like the real amp.

18. frankv

Yeah, that might have been the undertow effect for sure. hahahahahah

mdubya and cybermgk like this.
  19. ttbit

ttbit Senior Member

Correct. Look at is this way... If you don't have an audio interface yet, chances are you will get one and it will likely need the same cable. :) You might want to get a longer one too. I had a bunch of them, but they were 3 ft. :( Not long enough if you have your PC or laptop on a table and the AX8 on the floor...

mdubya likes this.
  20. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

Exactly this. :yesway:

No shade was meant to be thrown ST's way.

I was indeed very happy with how awesome the little (virtually) 5F1 sounds in the AX8. It sounds like an optimized Champ, the way I always wished a Champ would sound. So, for me, it is better than the real thing. And I have 2 different Champ variations, both of which I love. And I just had the Tech 21 Trademark 10, with a tweed emulation; it, too, had a very cool sounding tweed Champ-like emulation which I liked very much. But.... the AX8 5F1 is better. Not sure how or why, and most people probably couldn't careless about a the Champ model, but I do. :D

FWIW- if the Tech 21 didn't have problems, and if the little Mustang I didn't die, this thread wouldn't have ever happened. Those two crapping out was both my motivation and my cause for apprehension: I liked both of those amps very much. I wanted to move up the ladder a bit and not simply replace one or both of those. The apprehension was...how much better could the AX8 be than having the 2 of those? The answer on day one was that I needn't have worried. :cheers2: :beer:

cybermgk likes this.