the AX8 has landed

Discussion in 'Amp Modeling' started by mdubya, Apr 25, 2017.

1. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

Happy and relieved. Indeed, it sounds great in person. I plan to share as much as I can as far as tones go. Even through this relative cheap Alto TX8 it sounds superb. I haven't tried headphones yet, but I am certain that is going to be another mind blower. :)

2. NeubyWanKaneuby

NeubyWanKaneuby Senior Member

Check out the 5F8 model, too. It's pretty nice. :yesway:

mdubya likes this.
  3. ttbit

ttbit Senior Member

Glad you are happy with it. The demos I saw comparing it against the Helix is what made me pull the trigger on the AX8. Just seemed like they had mastered the sounds I was looking for. I was playing with the Friedman BE first, and then built my own Plexi and use it now, most the time.

Also, my Alto sounds much better than headphones.

mdubya likes this.
  4. Pwrmac7600

Pwrmac7600 Premium Member

You should download FracTool from the fractal forum. It will allow you to convert any presets us Axe II guys post into AX8 format...

mdubya likes this.
  5. Pop1655

Pop1655 Premium Member

I think it's totally possible to sing all the virtues of the axe without dissing the ST.
    I'm totally with you on the possibilities these units possess.
    I think it's a complete sacrilege to diss an ST. They are a beautiful combination of everything that is good in life and art.

mdubya and Sournote like this.
  6. Pwrmac7600

I don't think any diss was meant. I don't think Frank literally meant the tone of the ST was boring, I think he meant the principle of a single amp with it's limitations is what is boring to him, as opposed to the plethora of options he gets with his Axe... Frank always said the ST was a killer sounding amp.

mdubya and frankv like this.
  7. Pop1655

Pop1655 Premium Member

I'm sure you are correct.
    I am a worshiper of all things Soul Tramp and a huge fan of Don.
    That will never change, regardless of what's in my room.

mdubya likes this.
  8. frankv

frankv What Are You Waiting For? Double Platinum Supporter Premium Member V.I.P. Member

Let me explain this again. And I'll do it this way.

So I'll take you back to my Soul Tramp but this could be any one of the 60 other tube amps I have had....

So I plug into the Soul Tramp.. man that sounds great.. It sounds incredible.. 20 minutes goes by... I want something else. Not sure what but I want something else. Maybe I want to play some highly distorted power chords.. or maybe I want an old Marshall tone...

Well, from that stand point the Soul Tramp is a one trick pony like so many others are and I'm bored.

So as Mikey correctly points out. Boring to me is not sounds bad... it's lack of versatility. Playing the AXE for going on 2 years cemented those feelings in me just as it does with others that go down this road.

Pop. I hope that clarifies things.

9. frankv

frankv What Are You Waiting For? Double Platinum Supporter Premium Member V.I.P. Member

For sure. Being a fan of Don and Soul Tramp doesn't negate the fact of the matter at hand. No matter how good an amp builder is, they simply can not compete with a device that delivers the good with 220 amp models

10. cybermgk

cybermgk Singin' the body lectric Premium Member V.I.P. Member

You'll never sound like a kook. Your just like all of us when we first got into a high end modeler or profiler. At first your just shocked. Your shocked that what your hearing, isn't coming from a tube amp. Your shocked that what your feeling isn't an amp with glowing vacuum tubes. Your worldview, as far as guitar tone and amps, has just taken a major paradigm shift. It's shocking.

Then the enjoyment kicks in. You get that kid in a candy store, or toy store feeling. That grin raises ear to ear. You hear yourself saying "g d*mn' that was good. You lose track of time as you jam away. You try again the next day, because you think, couldn't be that good. But, it is. That smile starts looking like the Grinch's. After all, you FEEL like you just got all the Christmas' in one. Day, after day, you are amazed, at just how good it all sounds and plays and feels.

Then, the possibilities of the tech start appearing in your mind's eye, and you really start to purr.

mdubya likes this.
  11. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

They definitely should put a clock on the face of the thing. :laugh2:

12. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

Thanks Pwrmac. I have plenty to learn. Yesterday was an indulgence. Now I am back to taking care of business. I am going to need to set aside some time to figure each little thing out.

frankv likes this.
  13. Sournote

Sournote Senior Member

Sure they can.

Not everyone wants or needs a new tone every 20 minutes.

pnuggett, Pop1655, tzd and 1 other person like this.
  14. cybermgk

cybermgk Singin' the body lectric Premium Member V.I.P. Member

Let me translate Frankese.

When he says the amp maker can't compete, he means in terms of variety of tones, and versatility, not 'in the marketplace'.

frankv likes this.
  15. frankv

It's amazing how some interpret what is written sometimes.

cybermgk likes this.
  16. frankv

You don't understand the line of reasoning. I'm sorry about that.

But some DO want a new tone... right?

Last edited: Apr 26, 2017
  17. Pwrmac7600

I don't believe Frank was speaking for everyone... Frank was speaking for Frank, assumptions like this are what start these huge arguments that blow up threads. People take what is said and interpret it in a completely different way then it was stated.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2017
    cybermgk and frankv like this.
  18. frankv

Well Mikey. You are right again. If you read my posts leading up to the one that was quoted by Sour one would easily see exactly to what I was referring.

I'll say it again for like the 1000th time. Tube amps are boring... For me.. OK? I couldn't possibly make that statement about anyone else.

And to Sour.. Yes, I like to have options when I play 2 and 3 hours at a time.

cybermgk and Pwrmac7600 like this.
  19. Sournote

Sournote Senior Member

My understanding of your reasoning is not based on one post and I understand your line of reason very clearly.

20. Pwrmac7600

Quoting myself because I wanted to say, I am sorry if the tone of my post came across as harsh. I just hate seeing these threads all turn into arguments simply because what someone says about their own views or preferences ends up getting turned into them telling everyone what they want, like, should do. Individual preferences and feelings will differ based on the individual. We are all entitled to our own opinions, preferences, and beliefs, that is what makes a forum great, is being able to hear everyone's varying opinions, and maybe learning a thing or two that I didn't know before. So I apologize if my tone came off as pissy.

cybermgk likes this.