the AX8 has landed

Discussion in 'Amp Modeling' started by mdubya, Apr 25, 2017.

1. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

The UPS man delivered about 9:45 this AM. I had her plugged in and up and running by 10 AM. Finally had to break away after 3 hours for a break.

So far I am just scrolling through presets and trying the stock effects with the presets. I have done a little tweaking just to see how intuitive things are.

Some points:

1. I am perfectly happy. Does everything I hoped.
    2. Some of the concerns I had have been relieved.
    3. The Plexis sound damn good, much better than some of the demos which left me concerned. I even made a few tweaks just for giggles and the tweaks made the Plexis sound even better - much to my surprise.
    4. I totally understand why Frank did not keep the Champ clone he bought as a grab and go amp. I could probably get along on the 5F1 model alone. It sounds as good as ANY Champ I have ever heard. :applause:
    5. The Alto TX8 sounds really good so far. Works perfectly for my needs for right now. I started goofing around and started to get a little loud (for me) and it just sounded even better. Happy, relieved, content.
    6. I am not ready to declare it able to walk on water just yet...but I can see that potential.
    7. The stock JTM 45 preset just about does walk on water, though, as far as I am concerned. [​IMG]
    8. The first preset I tried was the 'Machine Gun' preset. I was almost stuck there all day. :D
    9. I absolutely love the stomp box set up. It is perfect for me.
    10. I have been able to use the basic controls to make some tweaks and adjustments without being connected to a computer.
    11. The DC 30 is particularly good. Made me feel like I need to learn some Brian May. :jam:
    12. This little box brings enough value to easily justify the cost; the amp models, the pedal models, the models of unicorns - things which mere mortals can't even access...

Back down the rabbit hole for a while. Gotta download the manual and learn how to start making and saving some custom presets/scenes/pedal settings, etc. :shock:

Pop1655, Rhust, Guitar Rod and 9 others like this.
  2. mmd

mmd Senior Member

HAHAHAHAHA - awesome!!!! As you learn the machine it will ONLY get BETTER!!!!!

frankv and mdubya like this.
  3. cybermgk

cybermgk Singin' the body lectric Premium Member V.I.P. Member

Yep, the DC 30 presets on my Axe FX are exceptional. I did say, the cleans and low crunch presets like the JTM 45 were great :naughty:

Honestly, the fact that you initially played for 3 hrs straight, broke for a moment of air, and dived back in, really says it all.

frankv, Shai`tan, mmd and 1 other person like this.
  4. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

No doubt, I have only scratched the surface.

frankv likes this.
  5. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

6. tzd

tzd Senior Member

Congrats! First thing I did was to change the footswitch setting to engage on the downstroke instead of upstroke.

And I have found the most effective way to learn how to create your own preset is to follow this video which takes less than 15 minutes:

frankv and mdubya like this.
  7. NeubyWanKaneuby

NeubyWanKaneuby Senior Member

You're welcome. :applause::yesway:

mdubya likes this.
  8. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

Fingers are sore. :rofl:

9. matthew bear

matthew bear Senior Member

congrats! How are the effects so far? I have a mind to potentially grab one of these and put it in the kempers loop :naughty:

mdubya likes this.
  10. AllTheSound

AllTheSound Premium Member

Congrats dude. The AX8 is a great choice for rock solid tones and FX.

mdubya likes this.
  11. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

I haven't even gotten into edit mode yet. The best thing I have heard is the Tremolo. The Phase and the Rotary effect are really cool, too.

I am anxious to get in and start messing with the fuzzes and OD's and playing with the delay/echo type effects.

Bottom line is, everything sounds great so far. My head is kind of spinning. The Deluxe models, the Champ, the JTM 45, the freaking Badger 18!!!! The Badger sounds so damn good and I beside myself.

It nails this tone from one of my favorite yt videos. :shock:

Even the Dual Rec vintage is just awesome.

The Friedmans sound like they could level houses if you turn them up.

As decent as the Fender models are/were in the Mustang, they are just off the hook in the AX8.

I am trying to keep one foot on the floor of reality. The amount of good tones is way over the line of overwhelming. I am trying hard to not sound like too much of a kook! :oops:

12. KenG

KenG Senior Member

Congrats! You don't sound like a kook but a happy customer! I can only surmise that the sounds in person are even better than they sound in the good demos! Unfortunately for myself I still have to wait little longer before I can take the plunge but I'm happy for you that you scored a great high end unit to enyoy and inspire you.

mdubya and frankv like this.
  13. frankv

frankv What Are You Waiting For? Premium Member V.I.P. Member

Well M... Now you need to pick up the baton and head over to the Squawk Box and do the "Frank" thing.. Coming from you, you might be taken seriously. Although now, most take me serious too.

After all, you do want your tube amp buddies to experience what you (we) have don't you?

Do you have the guts? :thumbs:

mdubya likes this.
  14. tolm

tolm Bigsby Junkie Premium Member

Nice! The AX8 looks like a great bit of kit, especially with the stomp box mode for those of us (i.e. me!) who find patches and banks a headache!

mdubya likes this.
  15. frankv

That Soul Tramp I had built was an awesome amp.. Awesome for me in a time years ago when I didn't know better. Now amps like that are just... well, shall we say..... Boring.

cybermgk and mdubya like this.
  16. frankv

Get ready to increase your practice time 10 fold brother.. Please start recording samples of tone and things you discover. I am getting kinda tired of doing it mostly myself lately. :jam:

You mentioned a Fender Champ. Here ya go. Surprisingly this is from a "hot" EBMM Axis Super Sport.

https://app.box.com/s/ihfkx1549vkxbln93ohqg7l1gwigjm8o

Come now.. can anyone really tell that is NOT a tube amp?

Last edited: Apr 26, 2017
    mdubya likes this.
  17. frankv

You don't yet "see" the surface never mind scratch it.. hahahaha

18. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

19. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

I don't doubt it was awesome. Just saying when I played that model, well, I have a Champ, too you know. :p

frankv likes this.
  20. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

Tolm, I found it very easy to scroll through the models. Each one is loaded with various stomp effects. There will be some work to do dialing the OD's and the Fuzzes in to my personal tastes, but every uneffected model sounded great to me.

It was a bit similar to getting a new computer. There is a little apprehension about how everything works. But it didn't take me long to get the basic layout figured out. I never got anywhere I couldn't figure out how to get out or how to undo something I didn't want to save.

There's lots more to come though. Without a doubt!