The ask FreddyG thread!!!

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by nicolasrivera, May 21, 2011.

1. Freddy G

Freddy G V.I.P. Member

yes, exactly. Even with a Manley "Slam", with the digital in/out interface I can still get overshoots.
    I can't rely on getting it as precise as the digital brick wall limiter.

b3john likes this.
  2. hellraiser_666

hellraiser_666 Senior Member

Hey Freddy, when you do mastering in analog, do you record the tracks on DAW then route it out to summing mixer??
    because im considering getting a summing mixer, but just didnt know if its necessary or just a luxury.

thanks again Freddy :)

3. cooljuk

cooljuk Transducer Producer Premium Member MLP Vendor

From what I've seen, those FM/radio settings on digital dynamics processors (Waves, TC, Universal Audio, etc.) yield a pretty heavily compressed output. The multi-band versions, in my experience, tend to compress heavily in the low end and cut some high end, probably for the purpose of increasing headroom, which they then saturate with overall leveling.

Honestly, I don't see the use as a radio station is going to compress and modulate the song anyway so it's sort of double duty to do so during the mastering phase and you'll end up with a far too compressed result in the end. If the radio station operates by playing mp3's then add even more compression is added in that stage. It's more of an effect than a tool, I think.

Looking forward to Freddy's comments on OTB summing. :naughty:

4. Freddy G

Freddy G V.I.P. Member

When I first started mixing in a DAW I did an experiment with cool edit pro and cubase. I did a mix of the same tracks in both programs. Only levels and pans. I had everything set exactly the same and yet the resulting mixes sounded different. I couldn't actually put my finger on what the difference was becasue it wasn't so much a tonal thing as it was maybe a resolution thing. Details blurred, veil on the sound etc. This led me to beleive that the math used by the programs was dicey, so I started mixing stems OTB on an analogue console. The clarity, imaging & depth was definately an improvement.
    But I think that the processing in my DAW is so much better today than back in the 90s I feel it's not necessary to use a summing mixer. Sure you will hear a difference still when using a summing mixer, but I wouldn't venture to say that it's better or worse, just different. So now I stick to ITB because I like what I hear & because I have total recall. I think that the most important part of the whole recording/mixing process is the analogue front end hardware. Mics, preamps, and processing (comps, EQs etc.) before the conversion is 90% of the ballgame. If you have crap before the A/D conversion that's it, game over. Your hands are forever tied and there's nothing you can do but polish a turd.
    That being said, I do like to go OTB for example sending a drum bus mix to a hardware compressor and then back in.

5. nicolasrivera

nicolasrivera Senior Member

Recently we had a SSL clinic here and they where showing the summing mixers, we Ab a mix ITB and in the summing mixer and as Freddy said, its a different sound, but the analog stuff SSL uses did made the mix sound punchier and more separate. PT was used for ITB mixing.

But dam are those SSL mixers expensive......

6. hellraiser_666

hellraiser_666 Senior Member

thanks guys for the answers, i guess ill save up for a rosetta instead then haha

7. weirdotis

weirdotis Senior Member

Hey Freddy, I have a possibly stupid question for you... on "When the Levee Breaks", it sounds like there is some sort of effect on Plant's vocals- it sounds a bit distorted at some parts. Specifically, the "Don't it make you feel bad..." part.

Am I going crazy?

8. Freddy G

Freddy G V.I.P. Member

I'm not at a computer with speakers right now, but I know the effect. It's probably a leslie...a rotating speaker, or maybe a flanger ...I'll check when I get home. Probably a leslie though

9. cooljuk

cooljuk Transducer Producer Premium Member MLP Vendor

All I hear there on the vocals in that part is a little distortion, likely from overloading the compressor(s) or console input. ....also possible that he sang that part through the harp mic. I'm only listening on little crappy PC speakers at work now though. I could be overlooking something obvious.

Now, on the "crying won't help ya..." part, ya, I hear flanging.

10. Freddy G

Freddy G V.I.P. Member

Yeah I agree...phase or flanging, not leslie.
    The distortion though...that's tough to say but I would venture a guess that it was printed because of overloaded mic pre... might be one of those things where you don't mess with an awesome take just because of a bit of distortion...just my guess anyway

11. weirdotis

weirdotis Senior Member

I think it sounds AWESOME either way. Oh yeah, the harp mic might be a possibility too. Cool beans, thanks guys

Back to the Leslie, is that what they used on Hats off to Harper?

12. Ed Zeppeli

Ed Zeppeli Senior Member

Isn't he just singing into the harmonica mic?

13. weirdotis

weirdotis Senior Member

I would have thought the harmonica would have been overdubbed.

14. Ed Zeppeli

Ed Zeppeli Senior Member

Possibly. At which point he could also have overdubbed some vocals into said mic.

:)