The ask FreddyG thread!!!

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by nicolasrivera, May 21, 2011.

1. hellraiser_666

hellraiser_666 Senior Member

SCORE! i already have a 57! :applause: Ksm44 right on the christmas list!!!

2. Ed Zeppeli

Ed Zeppeli Senior Member

I'd even add an SM7B in there for good measure!

3. hellraiser_666

would a transformerless 57 be suffice?? it would be much cheaper haha

4. Ed Zeppeli

Ed Zeppeli Senior Member

Possibly but I haven't a/b'd them! :)

I read an interesting article the other day about the SM57 really liking about 600ohms at the input (mic input) of your soundcard/preamp.

I checked my Presonus and it's about double that so I just may have to give this trick a try.

- Shure SM57 Impedance Modification : Recording Magazine -

5. Freddy G

Freddy G V.I.P. Member

Yeah man....the right impedance for a 57 is critical.

If you like I can do a shoot-out between a stock 57, an SM7b and a transformerless 57

Ed Zeppeli, JMAnz and cooljuk like this.
  6. Ed Zeppeli

Ed Zeppeli Senior Member

Oh man, that'd be wicked. I'd love to hear it on voice and/or acoustic guitar.

:thumb:

7. Freddy G

Freddy G V.I.P. Member

Arright!
    I'll do it on voice and acoustic guitar :D

cooljuk likes this.
  8. Ed Zeppeli

Ed Zeppeli Senior Member

Thanks!

9. hellraiser_666

Thank you Freddy! I'm not a strictly religious kind, but i think i just found god - "MR FREDDY G"!!!

10. nicolasrivera

nicolasrivera Senior Member

Ok Freddy, heres another one for you, What is radio friendly?

In length and sound, what are the considerations to have a different mix thats radio friendly?

Thanks.

11. renthepen

renthepen Senior Member

Science will give us all the answers we need:

Hit Potential Technology :: uPlaya Artists

:naughty:

12. Freddy G

Freddy G V.I.P. Member

That's a very good question. And I would say there's more than simply music at the heart of the equation. My wife is actually far more qualified to answer this question than me. Here career started in major market radio, and then she worked for the giant record company EMI. Here job was to get radio airplay for bands and to promote them in print, video and interviews. Remember that Blind Melon tune "No Rain" that broke the band? It was largely her doing, she really believed in the band and that song. She really pushed that one hard to radio and even to the EMI itself, a lot of people in the record company just didn't get it.

Ed Zeppeli likes this.
  13. nicolasrivera

WOW, your wife sure nows the ins and outs of hitting good airplay time.

Thanks Freddy and when you can please share with us her opinion on this.
    :thumb:

14. Freddy G

Freddy G V.I.P. Member

Hey Nic,
    So my point was that a lot of the time no matter how good the tune is, or perfected to a radio friendly format it is, without somebody "working" it, the tune will more than likely fall through the cracks. Of course there are exceptions, back in the day a rogue DJ might spin their favorite new band and have it catch on with the listeners and then go viral...but that's rare now because all radio is tightly programmed.
    Back in the very early days there was an illegal practice called "payola" where the record companies would quietly pay or bribe influential DJs (Alan Freed and Dick Clark for example) to play their records.
    Even though it is illegal today the record companies still try to side step the rules by not paying directly to have a song played but by sneakier methods.
    For example, an artist that the company wants to push just releases a new record. The record company then invites every music director and program director in major market stations across the country to a "press junket". These "junkets" can be some spectacular getaway to a tropical island, where everbody stays at a 5 star resort, wined and dined (all payed for by the record company) and then the artist will perform the new material for the radio and press "guests". How would you like to see David Bowie perform a private show for maybe 50 people? And guess what, artists with this kind of backing get airplay.
    These radio programmers know that if they don't add the material to their playlist they are likely not going to be invited to the next junket.

15. nicolasrivera

Oohhh yeah i get it.

Your are right that there has to be someone, like your wife, behind the tune that wants to be pushed.

I always get surprised at some songs i just don't like the first couple of times i hear them but they get so much airplay that at the end i get so familiar to them that i end up liking them.

Now regarding the length of a radio friendly song, is there a magic number?

And i see in many mastering plugins suites that there is a FM radio settings? what is that? those it make the loudness FM friendly or what?

thanks.

16. Freddy G

Freddy G V.I.P. Member

In a nutshell, shorter is better. 2 -3 minutes. Maximum 3 1/2 minutes unless you are an established star, then you can venture to put out longer tracks.

nicolasrivera likes this.
  17. nicolasrivera

Thanks Freddy.

18. Freddy G

Freddy G V.I.P. Member

I don't know Nic, I don't use mastering plugins. I do all analogue usually except for maybe a plugin brick wall limiter at the end.

19. Freddy G

Freddy G V.I.P. Member

By the way fellas, I haven't forgotten about the SM57 and SM7 comparison. I'm putting together a much more comprehensive mic shootout for you. I think you'll like this...I'm doing a vocal and acoustic guitar clip with every mic in my locker....it'll be ready some time this week.

cooljuk and Ed Zeppeli like this.
  20. b3john

b3john Senior Member

I'm curious, do you resort to digital at that point just because a digital limiter can "see" the upcoming levels in advance?

BTW, thanks again for this thread. I don't know if I'm any smarter, but I've learned a lot! :laugh2: