The ask FreddyG thread!!!

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by nicolasrivera, May 21, 2011.

1. nicolasrivera

nicolasrivera Senior Member

Man, thanks so much for this. Hey that Morris amp sounds incredible!!!!

Hey is that whole recording building yours??? WOW.

2. Freddy G

Freddy G V.I.P. Member

Yes that Morris is nice, thanks! Glen Morris builds awesome boutique amps, I've known him for 30 years and he lives very close to me. He can talk excitedly about transfomers, capacitors, tubes and speakers for hours on end:shock: Here's his site: Morris Amps

No haha...it's a large live theatre complex. The second largest repertory theatre in North America. My job here is as a sound designer, so I can use all of the facilities for personal projects if I ask or for commercial projects for a small fee.

3. nicolasrivera

Thank Freddy.

That Morr Tone Pedal is something else, haven't heard that warmth on a OD pedal before.

Whats your amp model?

4. Freddy G

Freddy G V.I.P. Member

Mine is a one of a kind custom.

5. Freddy G

Freddy G V.I.P. Member

A bit more on the amp recording.
    That recording of the amp in the hall was meant to capture the reverb. But I also reamped the track with the same amp set-up miked close. The hall tracks will be added to the close mic tracks. In this next clip I've got a couple of amps set up for reamping with close mics. The technique here is a classic production trick when you have two guitar parts. Contrast and juxtaposition. I try to find different qualities in amp and/or guitar sounds so that each sound will ocuppy it's own space in the mix and this is just what Ezrin did too. It's far better to capture this as two different sounding sources rather than by making the same sound different simply with EQ.
    In the clip I have panned the G7 room mic hard to the opposite side of the close mic. This can give a more 3D or spatial feel to the amp. Again, like the hall, I try to take advantage of the sound of the room because after all that is naturally how you hear your amp.
    Also in the clip we take a look at the signal path in the recording.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJWHYinXFR8]YouTube - ‪Reamping 2 amplifiers‬‏[/ame]

renthepen and nicolasrivera like this.
  6. nicolasrivera

Gezus Freddy i envy your ability to build your out stuff, incredible!!!!

Thanks for the videos, sounding great so far!!!!

7. hellraiser_666

hellraiser_666 Senior Member

Hey freddy, have you ever thought about making and selling those G7s?? they sound amazing, and the build looks fantastic too.

8. Freddy G

Freddy G V.I.P. Member

Actually yes, I have!
    But I built them by hand (which is not feasible for production) and so far every machinist I've contacted does not want to do it.
    Right now I'm into making ribbon mics :D

9. hellraiser_666

im actually thinking of going in the market for a good mic soon, although as a 16 year old, my budget isnt wild, but do you reckon you can probably give me like a quote or an estimate??

10. Freddy G

Freddy G V.I.P. Member

I'm flattered that you are interested, but there is just no way until I can find a way to mass produce them. For a one off hand built mic, you are going to need a "wild" budget.
    If I were in your position I would look at an Audio Technica 4050. For the price point I think you can't beat it.

renthepen and nicolasrivera like this.
  11. hellraiser_666

ahh yes, i see what you mean. cant wait till the day its on the market :dude:

and Freddy, what do you think of the shure Ksm 27 compared to the 4050???

12. Freddy G

Freddy G V.I.P. Member

I can't comment on something I have not tried. But...Shurely you can't go wrong with the brand :D
    (stay away from Chinese knockoffs)

13. cooljuk

cooljuk Transducer Producer Premium Member MLP Vendor

I've used a KSM27 and a 4050. Two different animals, entirely. I like to reserve the KSM27 for applications where a SDC would normally be used due to its lack of low end response. It's great on hihats, mandolins and small stringed acoustic instruments, some percussion (bells and chimes and such) maybe female vocals, but that's a strong maybe since it's not really full range - depends on what you are going for and the vocalist. It's nice and musical on the top end and upper mids though and has an attractive price tag. If you can access a KSM32 or better yet a KSM44 you'll have a MUCH more versatile mic.

There's no hard rules though, that's just my preference. Hope I'm not butting in. :)

14. Freddy G

Freddy G V.I.P. Member

Thanks for the response James :) No, you're not butting in...this is a discussion. I know...the name of this thread, it does sound pompous and makes me uneasy when I see it , but whatever...let's talk about this stuff! :D

15. hellraiser_666

Cooljuk, welcome to the convo man :) you are not butting in at all.

thanks guys, i think i might save up a bit more for a ksm44 :)

16. renthepen

renthepen Senior Member

I'm glad to read about this technique on your thread, Freddy. I tried to post something to that effect somewhere on the forum a few weeks ago but you have the communication skills and the knowledge to make it simple. I'm always trying to tell people to keep their sessions clean - to have the less plugins and tracks possible - while using your trick of having "layers of sound", in other words, to have more than one track per sound source. It's easy to confuse people ;) Thank you for your clear explanations!

Now about your mic, pre and compressor builds... + these vids... and your knowledge... all I can say is "wow!". You totally deserve your "Ask FreddyG" thread! ;)

17. Penny Dreadful

Penny Dreadful Banned

Im lovin this! Detroit Rock City is a great tune. I read that Ezrin added heavy piano to the chords to thicken the sound. If you listen close you can hear it...

Great post Freddy!

18. Freddy G

Freddy G V.I.P. Member

Yes indeed deepblue, you are correct! The grand piano really gives it harmonic texture and contributes to the "epic" sound.
    But no need to listen closely, check it out here, I remixed it with the piano really up front, and the guitars down.

Kiss - Detroit Rock City piano up front.mp3

19. Penny Dreadful

Penny Dreadful Banned

All I can say is WOW! the song takes on a whole new perspective when you hear it filtered like that.

Thank you!

20. cooljuk

cooljuk Transducer Producer Premium Member MLP Vendor

If I could have only one Shure mic it would be an SM57, but if I could have only TWO Sure mics, the other would be a KSM44. :thumb: