The Amplifire Thread

Discussion in 'Amp Modeling' started by El Kabong, Feb 20, 2016.

1. LPV

LPV Senior Member

I've had mine for 10 months and I really like it. I'm not crazy about any live guitar tone in headphones so i use an alto which sounds good quiet and really good loud. People complain about the effects but I'm lucky I guess because they do what I need just fine. I think playing along with backing tracks requires a special cable (which you can make) and disables the effects loop.

2. NotScott

NotScott Silver Supporter Premium Member

I have had my Amplifire for a while now and use it exactly as you intend to. Granted, I am not into multi-layered effects and death-metal distortions and I don't change presets in the middle of tunes. I just want a simple, pure amplifier tone that I can easily control through my guitar volume and tone controls and sound good enough in headphones so that I am not missing my vintage tube amps during practice sessions and 3:00 AM jam sessions.

As for playing along with tracks, my setup is very simple. I take the headphone out of my computer and place it into the Aux Input of the AF and set the Loop Mode in the AF to Aux Input. It is simple, reliable and works well without any digital aggravation from USB driver conflicts and other digital complications.

For what you want to do, the AF is an excellent tool.

3. EooN_PL

EooN_PL Senior Member

Great! Thanks for your posts guys :) How does the AF compare to interface + VSTs combo? I'm hoping to get that "real amp sensation", the setup I'm currently using doesn't really give me that.

4. Matty

Matty Senior Member

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqF-m70fwdA[/ame]

5. johnnymg

johnnymg Senior Member

6. hbucker

hbucker Senior Member

Do the effects on the Amplifire model/mimic real stomp boxes? Or are they generic, flange, chorus, delay, overdrive, etc. ?

7. johnnymg

johnnymg Senior Member

Can someone who owns a "higher end" modeler list/describe the advantages of going upscale from the Amplifire?

thanks

8. saks

saks Double Platinum Supporter Premium Member

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0V5Au4zV2iA[/ame]

9. Matty

Matty Senior Member

There's a Tube Screamer and a DS1 clone in amongst the OD pedals, but that's about it. The modulation effect parameters are plentiful. I'm not an effects user but apparently they can be tweaked to get most sounds. :hmm:

10. Brewdude

Brewdude Senior Member

I am also not an effects junkie, so take it with a grain of salt, but I spent about 30 minutes last night just tweaking things for the fun of it and had a lot of fun and was able to come up with some interesting sounds. I agree the modulation effects are a little more robust in options than the overdrive, but its never been a limitation for me. I actually don't think I really checked the others, but the OD and echo effects there are 4 or 5 options to chose from to pick your desired sound.

I think this is certainly an area where the Axe is more powerful, but to be honest if you are not a constant tweaker of settings I don't think you'd ever get bored with the Amplifire's options.

11. hbucker

hbucker Senior Member

I'm not a huge effects guy either. But when I use them, it's usually to emulate a flange, phase, or chorus effect I hear in an existing song.

My EVH Phase 90 and EVH Flanger are my two favorite pedals, with my EH Stereo Electric Mistress closely following.

I just looked at their latest owners manual on line and am not impressed with the drive pedals they modeled. But at this price, you're going to go without something, and I'd rather sacrifice effects.

12. hbucker

hbucker Senior Member

Next Question:

Do you owners of the AA find the number of amps modeled limiting at all?

13. kboman

kboman Senior Member

I only ever use the Deluxe, so no :p I'm so happy with my sound I haven't changed from my default patch in months.

Fx: the dirt pedals were disappointing, the rest go from useful to quite good. I was very pleased to get a vibrato I liked as much as I did for example!

Two of the biggest keys to the Amplifre IMO are the extensive EQ possibilites and the IR loading.

14. ziggybumwah

ziggybumwah Member

Ive had mine since October and play through a set of Presonus E66's and love it. Playing at home, the amps available allow me to pick and choose whatever sound/tone that floats my boat at that particular moment.

Not into a huge amount of effects other than a sprinkle of echo and reverb, however I've been working on a patch for Rush's Spirit of Radio and think its coming along nicely..

In a nutshell... Great sounding amps, less fiddling, more playing...

15. Matty

Matty Senior Member

[​IMG]

16. El Kabong

El Kabong Senior Member

[​IMG]

17. Ph03n1x

Ph03n1x Senior Member

I finally got to try one of these in Tokyo. The deluxe seemed to sound way better than the Dumbledore. Not sure if people had messed with the presets though. I found that >80% of the presets were not that great. This makes the AFB even more appealing now. Does the AF3 allow you to use different amp/cab on the left and right since it is stereo?

18. Matty

Matty Senior Member

No, it's one amp and one cab. But I'm hoping that may change one day. :hmm:

19. El Kabong

El Kabong Senior Member

[​IMG]

20. kboman

kboman Senior Member

It's often said about these things but very true for the Amplifire: don't judge it by the factory presets!